Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I was taking a look at the fold-out pamphlet for Alice in Chains Nothing Safe when I noticed something:

Possible inspiration?

Guest Unregistered account

I just found out that Level 10: Refueling Base is another map with an instance of sleeping enemies:

Sure enough, if you step into the room they all hiss at you and become active.

I actually found this while playing through the game properly. I haven't completed it yet.

Jaxxoon R said:

I was taking a look at the fold-out pamphlet for Alice in Chains Nothing Safe when I noticed something:

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/SP%20Face.png[img]

Possible inspiration?

It can be anything with a mix of faces, just ask Adrian Carmack.

Wow, what a great bug.. I hate how the modern console ports retain the pitch shifting. It should be optional, the monsters sound pretty dumb when their pitch goes higher. They sound like smurfs or something.

I always thought it woulda been better if the pitch only shifted downward slightly at random, for example some enemies sound a little tougher because of the low pitch bug on Doom95.

Pitch shifted screams make me think of nothing but YouTube videos where people speed up\down things to make them sound funny, I can't take it seriously at all in Doom.

When going too far outside the boundaries of a map, you instantly die, hear all the monsters at once and see a wierd glitch when the screen is clear enough to understand(the red screen effect)

joe-ilya said:

When going too far outside the boundaries of a map, you instantly die, hear all the monsters at once and see a wierd glitch when the screen is clear enough to understand(the red screen effect)

Is this in vanilla? I thought maps looped around eventually.

Guest Unregistered account
joe-ilya said:

I encountered that only once, Lol. It happened when I was messing about on Plutonia's Neurosphere.

The pitched sounds sound stupid - I think it's great that "mother random nature" pruned this abomination.
Back in the day I understand the logic for doing it but it is one of those ideas that are only cool in theory.

Surprised at all the hate for randomized sound pitches, I really like them, especially in Doom 1 where so many monsters share the same sounds. It might be nice if they were clamped to less extreme values, but I don't mind it as it is now in ports that support it.

That the Lost Souls had their sprites updated.

Re: sound pitch shifting, chalk me as someone else who doesn't think it was a bad thing. I was trying Chocolate Heretic a while back and had a distinct "NO, something is WRONG" vibe from it which turned out to be that vanilla Heretic has pitch shifting and chocolate doesn't.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Re: sound pitch shifting, chalk me as someone else who doesn't think it was a bad thing. I was trying Chocolate Heretic a while back and had a distinct "NO, something is WRONG" vibe from it which turned out to be that vanilla Heretic has pitch shifting and chocolate doesn't.

That's probably the only good thing that came from Raven not updating their code base to match id's, haha.

Anyhow optional pitch shifting is planned for the Chocolate ports, sometime. fraggle has said that it will require a pretty big rewrite of the sound code, IIRC.

I've noticed a lot of similarities between Doom 64 and Doom 3. I played Doom 64 after Doom 3 too. When you find the plasma rifle in Doom 3, there's an imp on the other side of the unbreakable glass-window. There's a very similar place in Doom 64. Also, the monsters have a close resemblance (the imps for example).

Changing the amount of pitch shifting would be super easy, it's literally one line in the source code (at least in PrBoom-plus).

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Is this in vanilla? I thought maps looped around eventually.

Yes, they do. But at the point where you wrap around from one side to the other, you can take some damage, especially on NM, as far-away monsters wake up and telescratch you.

Example demos here.

Linguica said:

Changing the amount of pitch shifting would be super easy, it's literally one line in the source code (at least in PrBoom-plus).

That is hilarious.

Actually now that I think about it, it should be easy to change the pitch shifting value in ZDoom, just through changing $pitchshiftrange in SNDINFO.

Linguica said:

vid

This is why randomized pitch shifting is hilarious. Julia was sorta iffy about Doom when I first showed her the XBLA version, she said the music and sounds were annyoing. Later on when I showed her the PC version, the first thing she said was "Are the sounds and music different? They're much better than I remember"

I think the pitch shifting makes the game seem goofy to newcomers.

The pitch shifted pistol/chaingun on modern console ports sounds like a Lego brick shooter to me.

In times when they had to squeeze it onto few diskettes or into a limited ROM, they couldn't afford spending space for several alternative shot sounds. More modern games may provide a variety, but even randomizing among them may sound annoying if there are too few and too distinct to recognize the repetition.

Linguica said:

*video*

Well, it sounds odd and funny, I'm glad that there's no (such a big) sound randomization in Doom. I wonder if the mancubus would growl in unhearable infra-sound range if pitched down as much as these imps.

Am I the only one that thinks that the default level of pitch shifting sounds just fine? I usually interpret the higher pitched sounds as the monsters roaring louder with more energy, passion and urgency, which when contrasted to the lower pitches being somewhat the opposite mood kind of helps to make them feel more relatable/believable and less like robotic pawns, the variety is nice.

Linguica said:

[vid]p0cbzYnb2oY[/vid]

In ZDoom it's just one line in a SNDINFO lump, no recompilation needed.

Sodaholic said:

Am I the only one that thinks that the default level of pitch shifting sounds just fine?

Meh...it still sounds weird to me. I guess because I'm used to playing for so long without pitch shifting. When I first played a modern console port with pitch shifting, I thought there was something wrong with the sound. The monsters occasionally sounded like they were on helium or something. I just don't like the pitch shifting.

I do like the variety pitch shifting offers, in theory it's a great feature.

Platinum Shell said:

I'd love to see a version of pitch shifting that only shifted down and only affected monsters.

This would be perfect!