Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

glenzinho said:

If I recall correctly the Map 02 problems were caused by the entire map being shifted a few pixels between versions.

Which would cause no issues with the sidedefs whatsoever. The most unavoidable harm that could be done is misaligning the flats since they have fixed alignment to the 64 unit grid.

The problem that people bring up with the shifting was that they didn't shift the actors with it, hence why some of them got stuck in walls. MAP02 isn't the only map that they strangely decided to shift, MAP01 was as well. There might be others, but I haven't researched it that much.

They didn't shift the map a few "pixels", the moved it way closer to the 0, 0 coordinate.

Is there any sort of Doom engine voodoo that would make them want it closer to the center, or did McGee just get a bug up his ass one day? I find it odd that they didn't actually center the map when it was moved.

Dragonsbrethren said:

They didn't shift the map a few "pixels", the moved it way closer to the 0, 0 coordinate.

Is there any sort of Doom engine voodoo that would make them want it closer to the center?

Actually yes, someone here explained it but I don't remember the exact details.

Maybe they wanted to realign the flats in a certain sector at the expense of all the others.

I don't think it's all that unlikely that McGee could've just had a "bug up his ass" though.

Sodaholic said:

They were present for just the A frame, but are useless because the Doomguy sprites were retouched and cleaned up sometime between the 0.5 and press release builds (that and the lack of other frames).

Did romero actually release the other frames? I only saw the first 8, but then I didn't go digging for the others.

I still maintain that the sarge was purposely stuck in the wall so that the player has a free pass to shoot the barrel - the first barrel you see in Doom 2, for that matter - and see that it will gib him.

That makes sense, I like that explanation too.

It doesn't explain the barrel stuck in the wall, though they could've been separate "mistakes".

sheridan said:

Maybe they wanted to realign the flats in a certain sector at the expense of all the others.

Actually, they completely broke the flat alignment in v1.8 and even more things were stuck in walls. v1.9 fixes everything but that one shotgunner.

Sodaholic said:

The problem that people bring up with the shifting was that they didn't shift the actors with it, hence why some of them got stuck in walls. MAP02 isn't the only map that they strangely decided to shift, MAP01 was as well. There might be others, but I haven't researched it that much.

Luckily, it has been already done: http://tcrf.net/Doom_II:_Hell_on_Earth_(PC)#Revisional_Differences

The Wolfenstein secrets aren't secrets in the Wolfenstein level, except the ones that take you to the super secret level, which has the Wolfenstein secrets as secrets.

I just found out that in vanilla a floor triggered to lower to highest floor will not lower below the height of -500 map units. Apparently, it also won't work it the target sector height is above 500 map units either. I needed a sector to lower to height -504 and this caused me a headache last night figuring out why it doesn't work.

I discovered a neat trick in PrBoom+ by accident wherein if I have a bunch of voodoo dolls, and hurt each one so that none of them die, but the cumulative damage suffered by them is more than my current health, my player will appear to die, my weapon will lower, but I'll still be able to run around the map. Even though I can't shoot, I can still flip switches and everything, though I can't exit the level. More interestingly yet, monsters can't see me when I'm in this ghost state, not even responding to touching. (EDIT: But if they had already seen you before you died, then they'll keep attacking you and are apparently still able to actually kill you.) Still more interestingly, if I pick up any health items, I will instantly become visible to the monsters again, and able to exit the level with switch but not walkover exits, though I don't get use of my weapons back.

It's a really cool effect. I had a really nifty idea for using it in one of my maps, but when I tried it again in ZDoom my player just died like normal, to my great disappointment. :( I dunno, maybe there's a compatibility flag or something I could force for that.

Guest Unregistered account

Yeah, that's a really neat bug I found when I was 11 (I think this was about 2012) - I always thought of it as a "Vanilla Spectating mode." I accidentally placed a voodoo doll in a map I made (I had done my research and watched my NoMac90 at this point, I knew what a voodoo doll was) and, for the hell of it, shot it. Then, as I got bored, I was killed by another monster and... yeah. :/

I actually filmed it, complete with phone-quality video and my 11 year-old voice. I actually have them stored on email (I sent them to myself to conserve them when I got a new phone).

Joe667 said:

when I was 11 (I think this was about 2012)

Hey DoomKid, so today you are ... which rating has Doom today? :P

Um... what? :/
To answer LigH's... question? Statement...? Eh...
To answer LigH's statement, that wasn't a mistake. My current age is 13 years old.

OT, I just found out that if you prevent your browser from loading a Doomworld thread just before it's finished, all profile avatars become squares and the little Doomguy head that indicates whether a user is online or not also becomes a square, but it also says "this user is online"/"offline".

Huh. Now I'm not sure why I found that interesting.

Well, I have literally no knowledge of how browsers/their various codes work, so that's a mistake I'm used to making.

Once upon a time, even before Doom (1993), there was a "web browser" in text mode (lynx: 1992), which was not able to display images.

HTML is called "hypertext markup language" for a specific reason: it was developed to handle hyper-text (hierarchically structured text containing links to other, related text). Images were an addition to later HTML versions after graphical web browsers were developed.

To stay compatible with text mode web browsers, images must always have an "alternative text" to be displayed where the image cannot appear due to technical reasons (also unsupported format or unavailable source).

Recently, some browsers (especially of the Mozilla family) changed their behaviour regarding the display of unavailable images: Instead of reserving a rectangle of known width and height, they simply write the "alt" text. This made it inconvenient for web designers to test layouts already before creating the image to be displayed...

LigH said:

To stay compatible with text mode web browsers, images must always have an "alternative text" to be displayed where the image cannot appear due to technical reasons (also unsupported format or unavailable source).

That's not the only reason for alt-text (and these days it isn't even the main reason). Alt-text is also used by screen readers to describe images to vision-impaired users, and by search engines to index images.

Images are not at all required to have alt-text, though it is recommended for all images that convey important information.

LigH said:

Recently, some browsers (especially of the Mozilla family) changed their behaviour regarding the display of unavailable images: Instead of reserving a rectangle of known width and height, they simply write the "alt" text. This made it inconvenient for web designers to test layouts already before creating the image to be displayed...

Actually, this behaviour is configurable in most browsers. In any case, only an incompetent web designer would make a layout dependent on images.

William Blazkowicz said:

The Master Levels don't work in zdoom, skulltag, or, to my knowledge, any other source ports

Well, the ML are wad files. They should work in practically any port. Or are you referring to this?

joe-ilya said:

Gibbed enemies take longer to respawn if you playing on nightmare or with the -respawn thing on.

No, they don't. That video you've posted in the video thread is full of misinformation.