Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Porsche Monty

Colourblindness simulator

My brother in law was recently diagnosed with a type of colourblindness called "protanopia". While researching the subject on the interenet, I came across vischeck.com]Vischeck and decided to make the simulator available to games based on the ID1 engine in the form of custom palettes pwads.

DM-Deu.wad = Deuteranope Doom
DM-Pro.wad = Protanope Doom
DM-Tri.wad = Tritanope Doom
HR-Deu.wad = Deuteranope Heretic
HR-Pro.wad = Protanope Heretic
HR-Tri.wad = Tritanope Heretic
HX-Deu.wad = Deuteranope Hexen
HX-Pro.wad = Protanope Hexen
HX-Tri.wad = Tritanope Hexen
ST-Deu.wad = Deuteranope Strife
ST-Pro.wad = Protanope Strife
ST-Tri.wad = Tritanope Strife

Get it here: http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/VischeckID.7z

Sigvatr said:

what the fuck, you ruined all the colors i can't see shit

Make sure you're using either vanilla engines or vanilla-oriented source ports like Chocolate's or prBoom+. Most advanced source ports will ignore everything but the first palette in PLAYPAL therefore displaying incorrect colours.

How about some screenshots? I don't know what a .7z is.

40oz said:

How about some screenshots? I don't know what a .7z is.

Wait seriously? It's not even an obscure archive format.

Deuteranopia: Red–green colour blindness.

Protanopia: Red–green colour blindness with dimming on the yellow-orange-red range.

Tritanopia: Blue–yellow colour blindness.

Deuteranopia and Protonopia look pretty much the same, save, for example, the flesh tones in the later having that "decaying" grey to them. Tritanopia looks completely different to the red-green colour deficiencies as a different cone is involved.

Pretty interesting and potentially useful...

You could for instance test your wads with this loaded to see how your maps would appear to someone with colorblindness. Pretty sure red-green is the most common form, but how many Doomers are colorblind and does it actually impair how they play the game?

My brother in law never really seemed to have any problems playing Doom, but as I was able to confirm, he can sometimes miss a thing or two.

It is not visible in the first screenshot I posted because imageshack killed the animation, but the second frame showed a bunch of gargoyles on the left side of the screen which are pretty much camouflaged by deuteranopia.

Since color effects mood, I wonder if colorblind people's moods could be effected by the narrow range of colors that they perceive. (maybe people who see the world in black and white could tend to be more cold and depressed, hypothetically?)

Interesting. On the website you link to, there's also a link to this page which mentions an algorithm for adjusting images so that they can be better viewed by color blind people. I wonder if it would be possible to develop a "daltonized palette" to do the same thing for Doom?

EDIT: Tried putting some screenshots through the online system and they came out looking horrible. I think the answer to my question is probably "no".

Having said that, it might be possible to develop a tweaked palette for color-blind people to use. I think it would have to be carefully thought out and manually tweaked, though. Probably the main concerns ought to be issues like making the colors of keys more easily distinguishable. I noticed when playing with DM-Deu.wad for example that it's very difficult to distinguish the yellow and blue keys.

Interestingly though, the choice of red/yellow/blue for key colors looks like it's probably the best choice possible in accessibility terms. If red/yellow/green had been chosen instead, it would have been much worse. I wonder if one of the guys on the id team was color blind?

That's what I initially considered since "colourblinded" games are nothing but a curiosity whereas "daltonization" could have potentially served a purpose. Unfortunately it's not available as a plugin and without a lossless output, I'd have had to compromise the accuracy, which I totally didn't want to do :/

Fascinating. Tried these in ZDoom and it came out much like the screenshots above. I fired up ToP which uses a lot of coloured sector lighting and found that a number of enemies were next to invisible in certain areas.

I think I have Deuteranomaly, so I guess you get to see what It's like for me when I play.

I've never had any colorblindness related problems playing doom maps, though.

I've uploaded a .zip version for those people who use WinRAR and WinZip instead of superior and free 7zip:
https://www.box.net/shared/0nddnph41t5zhs4frnft

Anyways, it's quite cool if you want to make a wad that even people with colorblindness can play.
I actually made a similiar wad to this, but I didn't release it and yours is actually better in my opinion. :P

A .7z file can be opened by WinRar. It's one of the more common odd zipped files out there (that is not Rar or Zip).

GhostlyDeath said:

Being colorblind sucks, no red! No green! Not even purple.

I'm sure it sucks, but it's a lot better than being totally blind, right?

TomoAlien said:

So much, in fact, that some people may even live perfectly normal lives without realizing that they are colorblind -apart maybe from the occasional apparent bad taste in pairing colours, which however they can't even judge by themselves (getting tested is often initiated by external factors, e.g. parents or military fitness tests).

I have a common form of mild colorblindness, and I almost never notice it or have any problems. I know what yellow is, and I know what green is, but in situations where yellow/green are right next to eachother my brain can't tell the difference. Same thing with blue/purple.

It makes the minimap in RTS games utterly useless for me ;-P

TomoAlien said:

I'd rather be unable to see a certain shade of color than having to rely on fuckexpensive glasses to see anything at all. These recent ones I wear now we had some real problems being able to pay for when we got the bill.

GhostlyDeath said:

Being colorblind sucks, no red! No green! Not even purple.

Mild colorblindness doesn't suck. Most colorblind people have only small problems and can distinguish between colors most of the time. I only have trouble telling colors apart in low light levels. Actually, I think about 10% of men are color blind (only 1% women, tough.)