Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Engine changes from 0.99 to 1.9?

Okay, so I know that in 1.2 they removed the panoramic view, at some point the pitch randomization was removed, and that in 1.5 they changed monster melee from hitscan to distance check.

I'm just curious, what other changes did id make to the engine over time? (functionality-wise, not bug fixes)

0.99 still contains chunks of the floating-point code that the press release pre-beta README.TXT claimed would be removed before release (liars :P)

0.99 has a completely different player movement system and as a result saves demos in a totally different format as far as ticcmds go.

0.99 has a completely different networking system (this one could cause the "broadcast packet network meltdown" which is mentioned but not documented on the wiki). The fact this was changed later is intimately related to why the above was changed.

In 1.2 and pre-versions Lost Souls count for kills. Later this was removed to pave the way for Doom II's Pain Elemental.

In early versions (pre-1.5?) Demons/Spectres use a tracer to bite instead of a direct damage call, meaning the blur sphere could cause them to bite other monsters.

In 1.2 and earlier versions, a different, more efficient, but buggy line-of-sight checking algorithm is used.

In 0.99 and 1.1, there are numerous savegame bugs related to triggering sector actions and then saving and loading (there are Youtube videos of a lot of this stuff). Also, pressing a door that was in motion after reloading a save in these early versions causes a venetian blinds crash.

That's about all I can think of, but not even hardly an exhaustive list.

It is RUMORED that Lost Souls could do a side-charge maneuver to evade projectiles in early versions. I would GREATLY appreciate if someone with the time could document this if it is actually true, or debunk it if it is not.

Quasar said:

In 1.2 and pre-versions Lost Souls count for kills. Later this was removed to pave the way for Doom II's Pain Elemental.

This wasn't changed until v1.666.

Speaking of which, this wiki page is highly relevant to this thread.

Quasar said:

0.99 has a completely different player movement system

I'm curious, is it functionally different, or just written differently?

Also, I'm curious how the Doom engine evolved between the 0.2 and 0.99 versions. From what I know about it:

*Different weapon bobbing. From what I can gather, it's idle position is on the top of the movement arc, which it's origin point is approx. 16 pixels below the bottom of the screen. There was even idle bobbing, but it was so subtle that the only thing that happened was the weapon alternated position back and forth by 1 pixel horizontally.

*Different viewheight bobbing. Unlike the final, there is no reversed offset ramp, meaning that it always moves faster at the bottom, and slower on the top. This had an effect of footsteps, where it yanked back up when it hit the bottom, unlike the final where it smoothly turned around to go up.

*Apparently there were completely different power ups in mind, that were all replaced with different ideas later on.

*Score system for killing monsters and getting treasure.

*Lives system.

*Shield system. Like armor, but gives immunity to certain elements.

*Hub system. I assume that it allows you to pick from a pool of other nearby levels to enter after you exited a level, remembers all level states in the episode.

*More informative status bar. Earlier versions had a second version that displayed messages from the game and other players on the right half. Also displayed lives, score, item count, weapons currently in possession

*Slower lifts.

*Slower players.

*Actor rotation was handled like how Wolfenstein and Shadowcaster handled sprite rotations.

Sodaholic said:

Okay, so I know that in 1.2 they removed the panoramic view, at some point the pitch randomization was removed, and that in 1.5 they changed monster melee from hitscan to distance check.

Demon/Spectre melee. The other monsters used the same method they do in 1.5+.