Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
djvero

Various questions about doom builder 2

I recently started using Doom Builder 2 again with a new project, but this time I'd like to go a little further than just mapping. I just figured out how to use different textures instead of the standard ones (like changing skytextures etc.), but I couldn't find anything about the following things:

1. Is it possible to create texts between all levels, so not only when you go from level 6 to 7 in the original doom2 WAD? (For example, when you go from level 1 to 2 you get a text like that, and from level 2 to 3 etc.)

2. Is it possible to change level names? Coz now when I play my own maps they still have the same names as the original doom2 WAD.

3. Is it possible to change the original music from the levels with my own music in my own created WAD?

I'd very much appreciate any answer!! :D

First off, I'd like to point out that none of these questions have anything to do with Doom Builder 2. (it's a good map editor, but it doesn't deal with the kind of stuff that you're asking about)

I'd recommend that you use Slade 3 to be able to do what my answers say, and avoid XWE. My reasons for that is that XWE is old, buggy, slow, and has annoying behavior. It's a mess, and it has been known to corrupt WADs. That, and it doesn't support too many modern lump/archive types. Only thing it's good for is ripping stuff from the other games it supports, don't use it for lump editing.

1. You'd need a port to play the maps with to do that. Maybe something like ZDoom, or Eternity. (MAPINFO lump comes to mind)

2. Well, you can use DeHacked/BEX to change the level names if using a simpler engine, but if using ones that support things like MAPINFO, then by all means use the port's feature instead, unless you want it to be compatible with most Doom ports (but it will be more limited in capability in that case).

3. Again, try MAPINFO. Can't do any of these from Doom Builder 2, it only handles maps, nothing else.

I hope this helps.

djvero said:

1. Is it possible to create texts between all levels, so not only when you go from level 6 to 7 in the original doom2 WAD? (For example, when you go from level 1 to 2 you get a text like that, and from level 2 to 3 etc.)

Yes, with MAPINFO.

Alternatively... Well, there's pretty much no alternative here.

djvero said:

2. Is it possible to change level names? Coz now when I play my own maps they still have the same names as the original doom2 WAD.

Yes, with MAPINFO.

Alternatively, you can use a bex/dehacked patch, but if you go this way you will also need to create the graphic lump with the name that is displayed on the intermap screens; but bex/dehacked can only change the name displayed on the automap.

djvero said:

3. Is it possible to change the original music from the levels with my own music in my own created WAD?

Yes, with MAPINFO.

Alternatively, you can just name your MIDIs to have the same name as those that Doom will use in these levels. See the listings here to find the names you have to use.

djvero said:

I'd very much appreciate any answer!! :D

Yes, with ... Oops, not this time. ;)

Sodaholic said:

First off, I'd like to point out that none of these questions have anything to do with Doom Builder 2. (it's a good map editor, but it doesn't deal with the kind of stuff that you're asking about)

I'd recommend that you use Slade 3 to be able to do what my answers say, and avoid XWE. My reasons for that is that XWE is old, buggy, slow, and has annoying behavior. It's a mess, and it has been known to corrupt WADs. That, and it doesn't support too many modern lump/archive types. Only thing it's good for is ripping stuff from the other games it supports, don't use it for lump editing.

1. You'd need a port to play the maps with to do that. Maybe something like ZDoom, or Eternity. (MAPINFO lump comes to mind)

2. Well, you can use DeHacked/BEX to change the level names if using a simpler engine, but if using ones that support things like MAPINFO, then by all means use the port's feature instead, unless you want it to be compatible with most Doom ports (but it will be more limited in capability in that case).

3. Again, try MAPINFO. Can't do any of these from Doom Builder 2, it only handles maps, nothing else.

I hope this helps.

To be honest it doesn't. I'm sorry for that. However, if I understand you correctly, I can do all this in Slade 3?

I'm already using zdoom 2.5.0 but where can I find mapinfo for example?

djvero said:

To be honest it doesn't. I'm sorry for that. However, if I understand you correctly, I can do all this in Slade 3?

I'm already using zdoom 2.5.0 but where can I find mapinfo for example?

Open your .wad (or .zip, or .pk3, or whatever) in Slade. Click on the "new entry" button in the toolbar. Name it "MAPINFO". Select it and click on the "edit as text" button. Start typing. See the ZDoom documentation for the code you'll have to use; it's pretty simple.

Ah okay, thanks guys I'm gonna try this out! If I can't pull it off, I'll ring the bell here again...