Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fosterdude15

doom comic - how rare?

I have what I believe to be an original giveaway edition of the Doom comic, "Knee deep in the dead"

I hear it is rare, but how rare? all information needed :P

I think it may be one of those things that's extremely rare and obscure, but not as sought after as say, the original cut of the Star Wars triology, or a mint-condition Atari 2600.

Personally, I'd keep them.

My only claim to fame is the entire Commander Keen series on diskettes, ordered from id Software in 1992. They all still work, although I sort of don't want to stick them in a floppy drive to confirm this at the moment.

yeah i read it was given out at a convention then a reprint was with the anthology, according to descriptions online mine was one of the ones given out, something to do with the issue number being italicized or something.

I may have it the wrong way round though if anyone could confirm.

also this is the comic i am referring to for those unaware:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/comic.php

fosterdude15 said:

yeah i read it was given out at a convention then a reprint was with the anthology, according to descriptions online mine was one of the ones given out, something to do with the issue number being italicized or something.

I may have it the wrong way round though if anyone could confirm.

That's correct, with the reprint they italicized all of the red warning text - not just the exclamation marks.

So far as rarity goes - a reprint run of 10,000 copies for the id Anthology would be a reasonable assumption and possibly a smaller print run for the convention giveaway, though I've no idea how much smaller.

Personally, I prefer the first edition which looks to have been printed on better quality paper.

It's at times like this I wonder: if it had good dialogue and a decent story...would this have made a good comic series, not just a one-timer?

TheSpazztikOne said:

It's at times like this I wonder: if it had good dialogue and a decent story...would this have made a good comic series, not just a one-timer?

No, there is nothing to go on, much like the Doom novels. And the comic has great dialogue. The comic is intended to be awful.

I think GreyGhost is as right as someone can be without having the facts. I would deduct the same conclusion, they likely printed less than 10,000 of them for a convention. I would presume you have something relatively rare.

Best,

Dusty

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Doom comic

It is an accurately portrayal of what the Doom guy is actually like. We have discussed this many times.

Technician said:

I'd actually enjoy a wad were Doom guy shouted out some of those one-liners like Duke 3D.

As long as it was just a wad instead of an entire expansion you had to pay for where he said something every 10 seconds and most of it was really really crappy. Or he would just say the same things over and over again.

Duke 3D did it right where he said something when something actually happened and it was usually some good catch phrase, while Belial just spouted something out half the time you killed one demon.

Technician said:

Oh wow, they fucking failed that. I'm glad I didn't invest into any the expansion packs.

As far as I could remember, he would sing Another One Bites the Dust at least once every level. And then he would complain about how his parents didn't love him.

I'd love to have this comic. If you intend on selling it, let me know.

the giveaway version also had diffrent advertisements, i know because i have both versions. I posted comparison pictures of 2 comic versions side to side in some older doom comic thread