Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Melon

Old maps I made when starting out that will bore you

So I was going through my doom maps folder and was going to archive a bunch of old finished ones I'd made when I first started making maps, and decided that because I was going to throw them on the internet anyway that I might as well post about them here. Note that all of the levels are really really short, but maybe somebody would want to see them? I'm personally keeping them rather than deleting them because I like to look back at them now and then, but I'm sure they don't mean anything to anybody else.

(I say "old" but given that I still haven't released a map set to date and most of these were made last year, I don't know if they fall under everyone else's definition of old.)

There are 6 maps, 5 for Doom2 and 1 for Doom1 (maps 01-05 and E1M1). MAP04 requires cc4-tex.wad which I wasn't going to bother including in the upload because it's over 100MB (although funnily enough the level remains largely untextured anyway haha) and MAP05 was a speedmap designed to be played in NIGHTMARE mode.

I don't expect anybody to play these or enjoy them.

]Download

Only tried E1M1... It looks very good! If you upload to idgames, you may want to build one PWAD with just that map, and another with the Doom II levels.

I have played through all the Doom2 levels, and thought they all showed heaps of potential. I liked them. Good simple design, gameplay was really good throughout.

Great stuff.

Also, check your PM's. :)

It's great to see that people enjoy them, I thought they were far too short to mean much. I've always wanted to make Doom maps since I first played the game, and while it's very easy to do these days from a technical view, I just don't feel like I have the right sort of creativity to make the sorts of levels I always hoped to make, I usually only get as far as a single room or two before getting "mappers block" and so I don't end up with anything I'm all that happy with.

Maybe I should just one day focus on trying to make a single medium or large level and see how it goes instead of my current plan of "here's an idea for a megawad, I'll make the opening level first... now I'm out of ideas". It might also encourage me to make something other than "basic shotgun and demons".

Yeah these were ok. Short on visuals for the most part, but generally inoffensive. I never looked anything and said "ew wtf". Gameplay was fairly standard stuff but it worked well enough. If these are the maps you thought we would all hate, I'd love to see some more of your "good" maps.