Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blood Lord

What Are They There For?

Well, there are several space marines lying around on the floor in both Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 as well - I'd wager that they are just scenery.
;-)

It's detail. It makes the level looks like some have come before you and failed. It also looks like coop fodder. =)

They're level editing tricks. If you create two player starts, You will start at the last one (first?) in the level, and will get zombie marines at the others. However, if you shoot them, you hurt yourself. This can be used for instant death tricks, among others.

You were right the first time, it's the last one you put in. And if you kill yourself killing the "voodoo doll", you can walk AS a zombie for a while, though you can't pick up items.

They're level editing tricks. If you create two player starts, You will start at the last one (first?) in the level, and will get zombie marines at the others. However, if you shoot them, you hurt yourself. This can be used for instant death tricks, among others.

I remember when i first saw another marine in a level. I was, like, argh.

The first time I saw a voodoo doll I was scared, just like the first time I heard Anal Cunt.

You were right the first time, it's the last one you put in. And if you kill yourself killing the "voodoo doll", you can walk AS a zombie for a while, though you can't pick up items.

????????????????????????

explain dammit

Being able to walk around as a zombie is a rather rare event; you have to kill a voodoo doll and your own mobj at the same time, which can prove difficult to pull off except under the most controlled circumstances. I have a feeling it probably happens because some bit flag in the player's mobj or some other structure is inverted twice instead of once, and so takes on its original value it had before you died -- thus the game thinks that you are dead in all respects except being able to move -- under the original DOOM.EXE, you could even leave levels this way, which would make you stay that way forever.

Watch out though, doors can close on you and crush you into a gib :->

Dead marines = scenery
Voodoo Dolls = make it look like there are other marines in the base, if you can get the player to start at the right spot, you can hide marines around the base with a weapon in front of them, hell, in ZDooM they can even talk to you if you script it.

Heh, I remember the first time I saw the multiple player 1 trick.

Embassy.wad if memory serves. A neat little level that one. I had WinDEU at the time and figured out from that how it had been done.

A really awesome example of ZDooM scripting I found today in the /newstuff stuff I hadn't yet played, but extracted. Chasmad.wad has some überneat tricks and effects, go find it in /newstuff.

A really awesome example of ZDooM scripting I found today in the /newstuff stuff I hadn't yet played, but extracted. Chasmad.wad has some überneat tricks and effects, go find it in /newstuff.

Um...you wouldn't mind URLing me now would you?

Heh, I remember the first time I saw the multiple player 1 trick.

Embassy.wad if memory serves. A neat little level that one. I had WinDEU at the time and figured out from that how it had been done.

Death Tormention II: E4M5 - Pain Temple