Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rem

Heretic port questions

What is the limit removing port that is the closest to Heretic as possible but which is limit removing?

And another question, would it be entirely unrealistic for a port like PrBoom-Plus to ever become compatible with Heretic in the future?

DeathevokatioN said:

What is the limit removing port that is the closest to Heretic as possible but which is limit removing?

Heretic+.

DeathevokatioN said:

And another question, would it be entirely unrealistic for a port like PrBoom-Plus to ever become compatible with Heretic in the future?

Indeed.

You've got Chocolate Heretic for your purist port needs. Heretic support in Eternity Engine might happen one day; it's been a short-term goal of Quasar's for years. ;)

Otherwise, you've got Doomsday, GZDoom, Legacy, Vavoom, ZDoom... If you don't like any of them, tough noogies. :p

Chocolate Doom "Raven Branch" would be my first choice for authentic feel, but limits have to be bumped up in the src. It's not hard, but you need a compiler and some (very) basic code-editing skills. If you can't do it yourself, there's surely someone else around here with same OS that will help...

Were there any game play differences between the various versions of Heretic?

I know there were a few unused states removed.

If there wasn't, I don't see much point for PrBoom+ supporting Heretic when other ports can record demos. But then I'm not a demo watcher/recorder.

Vermil said:

Were there any game play differences between the various versions of Heretic?

Probably, given that the demos desync.

We know that at LEAST the behavior of mace spots changed. And I'm pretty sure that alone doesn't account for the desyncs, so there must have been some other changes too.