Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PRIMEVAL

Xodus [WIP] - Doom 2 mod for GZDoom

You may have seen me mention about a 'top secret' wad I'm working here and there, you have have seen the video of it posted in the Doom Video thread or on my Youtube channel, but now I am finally officially announcing it. A new GZDoom mod for Doom 2: Xodus

When I'm not working on music or going to Taco Bell with friends, I am usually working on this. Now, I don't really have a story behind this just yet, but I pretty much have a general theme behind it. This mod is heavily influenced by Quake, even using sounds and textures from it.

New features include:
New Sounds
New Textures
New Monsters
New Weapons
New Music (both original and PSX/D64)

Progress with this mod is slow, so don't expect anything to be completed anytime soon. Now here is some information and some screenshots from what I have so far:

Episode 1 - Genesis (Human/Earth Techbase)
Map01 - ScyTek A-1c 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
Map02 - Water Treatment 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
Map03 - UAC Mines 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
Map04 - Pipeworks 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
Map05 - The Ravine 01 02 03
Map06 - First Gate (Planned)

Episode 2 - Apostasy (Warped/Interdimensional Techbases)
Map07 - (New Reality)? 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09
Map08-11 not started

Episode 3 - Abyss (Other dimensional/Medieval realms)
Map12 - The Ruins 01
Map13-20 not started

Episode 4 - Exodus (Hell)
Map21 - Inferis 01 02

Old video of Xodus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRyjXn6oTk

---------------------------------------------

More updates to come. Hope you enjoy what you see and feedback is welcomed!

I'm not a fan of the custom monster\weapon sprites.

The levels look decent, and they seem like they'd fit in Doom64. Maybe you should consider porting them to it :)

Sigvatr: I really am hoping to complete it, at least the first episode anyway.

Marcaek: Thank you for your feedback. Some of the weapon sprites are just placeholders. I'm gonna get rid of some of the custom monsters as well, but I'm not sure which ones yet. Each one has their place in the story / theme. Also, I've been thinking about mapping for D64, that has crossed my mind.

Those levels look good, but I think they could use more GZDoom features like slopes, 3D floors, etc.

Also, why are you sticking to the Doom2 level organization? With you don't have to use the MAP01-06, MAP01-11, etc format.

Processingcontrol said:

Those levels look good, but I think they could use more GZDoom features like slopes, 3D floors, etc.

Also, why are you sticking to the Doom2 level organization? With you don't have to use the MAP01-06, MAP01-11, etc format.

Been trying to implement them more. At first it was only going to be Vanilla gameplay, but I think ZDoom mapping is more fun. Though I have yet to figure out 3D floors...I do have slopes and deep water, though.

For the organization, I'm not entirely sure why I kept the same. Probably just used to it. When I get further down the line, I may do it differently.

Another promising, chapter-based WAD project with dark themes, and combination of medieval world, hell, and tech-style.

This is my dream WAD!

PRIMEVAL said:

Though I have yet to figure out 3D floors...I do have slopes and deep water, though.

If you're using Transfer_Heights for the deep water, you already know how to make 3D floors. You just don't know that you know. It's the same principle: a control sector and a linedef. The one gotcha: 3D floors are invisible by default: the fourth argument of the Sector_Set3dFloor line special represents opacity, and with 0 opacity is it entirely transparent. Use 255 for solid floors.

Here's an example of using 3D floors for deep water:

sector A: floor -128, ceiling 256, tag 1337, floor texture MUDGRND, ceiling texture F_SKY1
sector B: floor -128, ceiling 0, tag 0, floor texture WATERTEX, ceiling texture WATERTEX
linedef C: front sector B, special 160, arg0 1337, arg1 2, arg2 0, arg 3 192, arg 4 0, middle texture WATERTEX
thing D: placed anywhere within sector B, type 9039 (FadeSetter), arg0 0, arg1 79, arg 2 165, arg3 0, arg 4 0

Now you have with these four little things a pool in sector A that occupies the volume between -128 and 0 in height. If you look at it from the side, you'll see a wall of water, which may seem odd so you'll probably want to border it with sectors with a positive floor height. Likewise, if you make sector A's floor go lower than -128, once you fall down to the bottom you'll see a ceiling of water. The whole volume of the 3D floor is swimmable (type 2) and slightly translucent so you can see inside from the outside, something that's not possible with Boom-style deep water.
The point of the fade setter is to give an underwater colormap to the control sector. In UDMF, you can directly set that as the fadecolor property of the control sector and not bother placing a thing. The values I've given here (red 0, green 79, blue 165) correspond to the color of Boom's "WATERMAP".

For solid 3D floors (e.g. if you want to make a bridge), it's the same principle, but you'll use type 1 instead of type 2, and you'll probably want an opacity of 255 unless it's a glass bridge or some sort of forcefield.

since it's a quake themed wad, do you plan implementing something like quad damage? gibbing monsters with a shotgun is something i enjoyed in quake, and apparently many others too.