Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

How often do you use the BFG?

DuckReconMajor said:

I think you mean 40 and 80.

"Half as effecient" would imply that it is twice as inefficient - or uses twice as much ammo. So whatever the BFG pulls off in its 40-cell shot, the plasma rifle would do in 20.

I think Maes has covered the various ways that I'm right.

Perhaps skib meant that the BFG is more "wasteful" than the PL(which is surely true if you just want to kill a zombie or an imp) and may even still be true if we are talking of a group of 5-6 weak monsters (up to a pinky). I concede that it's also "wasteful" up to killing a single Knight or Mancubus, if you can consistently down it with less than 40 cells using the PL.

Yeah, in those terms, you may save a couple of cells by using the PL instead of the BFG and still get the job done. For anything stronger than that and for groups of mid-tier monsters, there's no question that you should use the BFG.

Phobus said:

It's not. Try killing a Spider Mastermind in 20 plasma bolts. Or 40, whilst we're at it.

I calculated (one year ago)
11.25 BFG
22.5 Plasma

That calculation doesn't mean a lot to me but it doesn't seem to have any correlation with reality. It also seems to me that you're saying the BFG is twice as effecient as a plasma rifle in terms of shots... but I'm not sure at what. Damage? Greeness?

Phobus said:

That calculation doesn't mean a lot to me but it doesn't seem to have any correlation with reality. It also seems to me that you're saying the BFG is twice as effecient as a plasma rifle in terms of shots... but I'm not sure at what. Damage? Greeness?

Weight(in pounds). It means the Plasma Rifle weighs a whopping 22.5 pounds, while the Big Fucking Gun weighs merely 11.25 pounds. Through tireless research and development, the Union Aerospace Corporation was able to make a gun that was much more powerful and dangerous than the Plasma Rifle while simultaneously making it lighter using space-age polymers. In the field, a heavier gun will tire a soldier out faster than a lighter one, hence the BFG is the obvious choice to issue to infantry. The only problem - cost. The Plasma Rifle costs $7800 to manufacture(which isn't cheap), but the BFG costs an estimated $36000 per gun to build.

So yeah, try not to drop it on the ground and stuff.

Vordakk said:

Weight(in pounds). It means the Plasma Rifle weighs a whopping 22.5 pounds, while the Big Fucking Gun weighs merely 11.25 pounds. Through tireless research and development, the Union Aerospace Corporation was able to make a gun that was much more powerful and dangerous than the Plasma Rifle while simultaneously making it lighter using space-age polymers. In the field, a heavier gun will tire a soldier out faster than a lighter one, hence the BFG is the obvious choice to issue to infantry. The only problem - cost. The Plasma Rifle costs $7800 to manufacture(which isn't cheap), but the BFG costs an estimated $36000 per gun to build.

So yeah, try not to drop it on the ground and stuff.

Congratulations! You have just won the thread!

I don't use it excessively, since it takes 15 shots out of a full magazine. If the Imps are OVER 9000!!!!11ONE!!!, then I use it if I'm given the chance. If there is a 4+ group of Barons, there I go, same for the 8+ amount of Revs, 6+ of Cacos and HK's, 5+ of Arachnotrons and Mancubi, 3+ of Archviles and 1+ of Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds.

Cell said:

3+ of Archviles

Actually, given the fact that archviles are very dangerous, I find it wise to BFG even lone ones (if there are bodies around or I feel there's not enough room). BFG-ing groups of 2+ already comes ammo effective, so you should always do that.

I almost never use it. It takes me too long to switch to it and for it to charge and fire. I should probably practice that.

The only time I use it is in wads where I know where everything is and I want to take down an Arch-vile quickly, or the occasional horde. When playing new wads, the only time I use it is when I find a good situation for it but also have enough time and room to run around like an idiot fumbling with the keys...

Ugh, I suck.

I rarerly use the BFG in SinglePlayer, i prefer the rocket instead, might be good use if you are playing a hard map and u face a horde of LostSouls or PainElemental *The only use i can think of right now*

I usually only use the BFG on bosses; especially Cyberdemons. I'm not afraid to admit that I suck. My first (and only so far) level was originally supposed to end with a cyberdemon, but because I couldn't kill it in the tight space of my level's final room, I changed it to a Spider Mastermind. That's how bad I suck. With standard enemies, I generally stick with the Plasma Rifle.