Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Evolution

ZDaemon Thursday Night Survival #8 - The Ultimate Doom

As the topic implies, we will play something classic next Thursday, so leave the SSG at home. However, there are some small modifications, like another color palette and the sounds from the PSX-version; there are some player skins too.

The Euro session starts at 8pm GMT+1; the US session starts at 8pm EDT. Show some IWAD-love and be there this Thursday! Original thread here.

If survival isn't what you're looking for, then have a look at other sessions - tasty competitive public events. Tonight's Frag Your Brains Out hosts the classic Danzig 1 and 2 - Oldschool Deathmatch enthusiasts be there!

It's good to know that the Doomworld news feed is now a list of weekly MP game advertisements.

yeah, i want my goddamn two months old news on the front page, dammit! stop with these new news!

Me too 40, I absolutely hate when Doomworld showcases active parts of the community and encourages growth and involvement. Give us back our weekly one post of "SP game advertisements"!!!

Anyone can post a news item about anything Doom related, even UAC Ultra 2 when it's finished. But I wonder how people would react if everyone posted news about their project/event, and not just the few regular posters.

Everyone who posts something about a project, or event, or source port, or just anything, is related to it in some form or another. Jimmy posting about Harmony, Ralphis posting about Odamex, Kaiser posting about Doom64 Ex. But I see nothing wrong with this as long as the post is well-formed, is actually news, and is not some opinion or overly biased. Besides, I'd rather see all news posts about multiplayer events, than no posts at all.

What's up with the extraneous WADs being required that do nothing but change up the sound effects and add stupid skins?

40oz said:

It's good to know that the Doomworld news feed is now a list of weekly MP game advertisements.

I don't really see a problem with it. In the past it seemed like ZD and ST threads always devolved into port wars of some sort, but advertising Odamex Nitro on Doomworld must not have gone unnoticed by ZDaemon fans hoping to inject a little life into their own port.

AgentSpork said:

What's up with the extraneous WADs being required that do nothing but change up the sound effects and add stupid skins?

They are there to spice things up. tskins1e was present last week and it was good to see that only a few players chose a skin while miekskins is there because it's fairly new (and of good quality) from a long serving member of the ZDaemon community and hasn't yet been given the playtime it deserves.
Personally I would have liked to be the one to run doom in TNS just to have it as true to .exe and nostalgic as possible but how many times have we played through the doom iwads pure over the years anyway - it will be a fun change. There will be some oldschool sessions from time to time. :)

AlexMax said:

fans hoping to inject a little life into their own port

I think this is what 40oz was getting at because it is excellent to see bridges being made between the huge central doom community here and the two top oldschool multiplayer doom ports. Players have turned up to Nitro and TNS from interest spawned here and it's great to see they had fun and want more action (for some a first time playing doom multiplayer, which makes it all the sweeter).

Keep the faith and ignore grumps like dew and Ralphis!

Evolution said:

Keep the faith and ignore grumps like dew and Ralphis!

I think dew and I are anything but grumps when it comes to supporting multiplayer Doom here at Doomworld. We have probably been the two biggest supporters here who post daily for years at this point. I think we get grumpy when others get grumpy when the huge and largely ignored multiplayer portion of the Doom community are trying to be more visible.

I interpreted 40oz's comment in the context that I am almost sure it were intended, sarcastically.

Heh, ww-heatwave -- I remember that one. It was part of an old "share some custom palettes!" thread from ZDF a while back.

How strict is ZDaemon about requiring 'cosmetic' wads like this that change only palettes/sounds? Would someone be able to join without the extra wads, considering that the maps n' associated stuff are the same?

these wads should be optional, imo. i dunno if you can disable all of them, but skins are definitely possible to turn off.

I've been looking for more ways to add some not-IDL coverage to Tastyspleen.tv, and will probably be doing some short newstuff review videos on a regular basis as well. If I can get a spectator slot, I'd love to provide some coverage of the proceedings this Thursday.

Playtested through e1 a few times today...

ww-heatwave.wad & psxsound.wad are now optional; If you wish to use them then download from links in the first post and unzip to your wads folder. The skins can be easily disabled. Esc > Options > Display Options > Enable Skins = No!

Jehar said:

I've been looking for more ways to add some not-IDL coverage to Tastyspleen.tv, and will probably be doing some short newstuff review videos on a regular basis as well. If I can get a spectator slot, I'd love to provide some coverage of the proceedings this Thursday.

This would be really cool, The server is set to hold 25 player spots and an additional 25 spectator spots so you're more than welcome!

Oh, and Ralphis: keep tuning your sarcasm detector, damn! ;-)

Jehar said:

If I can get a spectator slot, I'd love to provide some coverage of the proceedings this Thursday.

the sessions run on zdaemon 1.09 beta servers with up to 50 connections allowed, so getting a spect spot shouldn't be a problem. :)

Evolution said:

Oh, and Ralphis: keep tuning your sarcasm detector, damn! ;-)

Sorry man, I'm not used to sane reps from ZD around these parts

Sign in to follow this