Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mirko

How do I change the name of my map?

I am making a megawad for Doom v1.9, And I'm pretty new to mapping. I've looked everywhere, but all I can find is how to change maps useing XWE. I need to change my map name using SlumpED or something of vanilla doom.

Please help, thank you :D

Vanilla? You're a bit out of luck. But it's still possible.

The first thing to know is that there are two places where the map name is stored. The first is a text string in the executable itself, which is displayed when looking at the automap. To change it, you'll need a patch.

The second is an image (in Doom's picture format, named WILVxy in Doom/The Ultimate Doom, or CWILVzz in Doom II/Final Doom. They are displayed on the "level finished" and "entering new level" screens. These are found in the IWAD and can be replaced by simply providing an image with the same name in your .wad. In Ultimate Doom, x and y correspond to episode and map number minus 1 (so, for E1M1, it's WILV00, and for E4M9 it's WILV38). In Doom II and Final Doom, zz corresponds to the map number minus one (so MAP01 is CWILV00, and MAP32 is CWILV32). There is a tool named Doomword (not Doomworld) which can help creating that image.

With a MAPINFO lump, the port would generate automatically the image as appropriate so you wouldn't need to replace any graphic.

The easy way for the automap part is to just grab a .deh file from a megawad or any other PWAD that changed the map names, then edit the name for your map slot (the .deh is just a TXT file). You can then remove the other map slot entries if you want, but tha'ts not really critical.

When playing with vanilla doom.exe, you'll have to used the DeHackEd program to patch your executable with the .deh file. When playing with Chocolate Doom or most other ports, you just pass it the name of your .deh file, like:
chocolate-doom -file foobar.wad -deh foobar.deh

Ok, I think I understand how DeHackED works. Should I change the map name after the wad is done. I was going to do it 1 at a time, but I would just be harder...

Yeah, might as well wait until you finish the maps and decide on all their final names, and then edit the .deh file once (and then test that it works).