Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Katamori

Sunrise-like sky textures?

I'm looking for new sky textures and I need something which the sense of the sunrise. I've seen something in Post your Doom picture! thread, but it was several months ago and I can't find it from more than 180 pages of pictures.

Can anybody recommend me a useful one?

Maybe check out realm667's stuff, look around idgames for any custom WAD texture packs (UAC Ultra has one floating around), maybe even ask any authors about custom skies they used that you liked...those would be my best suggestions.

1024 sky? A sunrise is going to look weird if it's coming from all 4 directions. Also, Doom palette or true colour?

//EDIT: Please say true colour. Tests aren't going well in the Doom palette.

Can you resize it to 512x128 or anythingX128? I can't resize pictures without quality-lose, and Boom doesn't like bigger sky textures.

Katamori said:

Can you resize it to 512x128 or anythingX128? I can't resize pictures without quality-lose, and Boom doesn't like bigger sky textures.

It is 1024x128 already?

Ralphis said:

It is 1024x128 already?

Then I'm sorry, I was quick and I didn't download the picture yet.

I always found orange colors like in the sky in Doom E4 to be more of a sunset looking color (Isn't map01 from AV called sunset and uses that same sky?) while gray and tan sky colors, like in Doom 2's burning city sky or the first sky in Reverie tend to look more like sunrises.

Katamori said:

DooMAD: Thank you the sky texture, it was perfect to the WAD! I'll credit you in my project. =)

No problem. My mapping has been pretty much nonexistent lately, so I have to keep in the habit somehow. Might as well churn out skies. :)

40oz said:

I always found orange colors like in the sky in Doom E4 to be more of a sunset looking color (Isn't map01 from AV called sunset and uses that same sky?) while gray and tan sky colors, like in Doom 2's burning city sky or the first sky in Reverie tend to look more like sunrises.

I'd actually have to agree on this front - orangey skies make me think sunset (and if it's purple fading to deep blue it'd be late sunset), whilst lighter (light blues with yellow/tan colours perhaps) or even pinker skies make me think sunrise. Properly grey, white or brown make me think of clouds though.

Phobus said:

40oz said:

I'd actually have to agree on this front - orangey skies make me think sunset (and if it's purple fading to deep blue it'd be late sunset), whilst lighter (light blues with yellow/tan colours perhaps) or even pinker skies make me think sunrise. Properly grey, white or brown make me think of clouds though.

My earlier experiments had light grey skies, but to say the palette was unforgiving would be an understatement. The darker shades were the only ones I could get away with cleanly.