Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spinesplitter

What is the longest one-level WAD?

Does there have to be only one map in the wad? There are the notable slaughtermaps Deus Vult and Holy Hell that had to be split up into multiple maps due to system limitations, but you can still play them in their original, massive forms on the MAP05 slot of each wad (if your computer can handle it).

The ZDoom Community Map (linked to at the bottom of this page) is actually the only map in its wad and I think it took me at least two hours to finish.

A classic map that was considered the biggest of the big in its day is Vrack2b (linked on this page).

Note sure which is longest but here are some monsters:

Deus Vult Map05

Holy Hell Map05 (think DV on extreme steroids with inferior architecture)

Deus Vult Zero

ZDoom Community Map 1

Warpzone

Happy Time Circus II

Cheogsh (1)

One of the ph_quik maps by Phobus - can't remember which one - it had you basically warping through like 10 different sublevels

Eternal Doom IV Maps 11-13, 13 might be the single longest map ever exclusing the ridiculous Holy Hell, I'm not even mentioning Eternal Doom III because the size of these maps are like 5 times greater

Vrack 3 (even bigger than Vrack 2)

Deus Vult II Map29 (technically a repeat map though)

Plutonia II Map29

Hell Ground Map07 (also one of my favorite levels ever)

Whispers of Statn Map29 (as a bonus, there isn't any symmetry of note here!)

XXXI Cybersky, 32 Inch Nails Map05 (bunched them together because they're both massive slaughtermaps by Eternal)

ZPack E1M8, E2M6, E3M7

Most maps in Knee Deep in ZDoom

NDCP Map06, Songs of the Damned, Drip Feed (all by iori)

IC2005

Suspended in Dusk Map03

Jegerdmorder 2

Containment Area

Just about anything by Chris Lutz

Okay, I know this is a long list and not very organzied (I mostly got it from the top 100 and cacowards) but I think these are all maps that should take 30 minutes or longer to get through on a resonable speed playthrough. I hope some of these suggestios are to your liking. :)

Holyhell map 5 takes roughly 4 hours to finish in one sitting, so I'll go with that. One-hour-ish maps I recall are cchest 29, newgothic 21... and that's about it.

MegaDoomer said:

One of the ph_quik maps by Phobus - can't remember which one - it had you basically warping through like 10 different sublevels

That'd be ph_quik2.zip

As I remember it Europe and Dawn of Reality are notably huge and haven't been mentioned, but I've not played them myself. Eternal Doom III has the rarer trick of not only having a load of giant maps (it's a megawad that is characterised by there being a lot of them), but having them be quite puzzle and switch-hunt oriented, thus lengethening the play time considerably.

PsychoPhobia generally has long maps that take on average between half hour to an hour, maybe more if you don't know what you're doing.

chopkinsca said:

Shh, now people are going to torture themselves when they try the map out.

It's a little late for "don't ask don't tell" don't you think? ;)

Besides, it's not as mind bending as the 2nd installment.

Map 27 of Eternal Doom IV has to be the longest map I've ever played. Vela Pax also has some huge fucking levels, but I've only played through the first level.

How is Memorial not mentioned earlier? It's the entirety of Doom II in one map, albeit with added transition areas.

gun_psycho said:

How is Memorial not mentioned earlier? It's the entirety of Doom II in one map, albeit with added transition areas.

you have been necrotrolled.