Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Where to stick memory? (Computer Help)

I have a computer approaching 5 years now. It has 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM. I remember when putting the computer first together, and also a few other times, I stuck the two sticks (1gb each) into the same grouped slot. What I mean by that is I have four slots for memory, two slots next to each other, a gap in the board, and then two more slots next to each other. When sticking both into one group, the computer froze, couldn't even get to Windows. But when I did: slotted, empty, slotted, empty (1 stick in each group) the computer ran nicely.

I was thinking about upgrading to 4GB of memory, but don't want to spend 30 bucks only to find that filling up the two blank slots is going to freeze my computer instead of speeding it up.

Does this sound like a pretty common problem? What are some suggestions to fix it?

If all 4 slots will be filled, all with RAM sticks of identical capacity, I don't see any way you could have a problem (unless you buy high density RAM when your motherboard only supports low-density, or the slots themselves are faulty, or... okay, there are lots of ways you could have a problem).

Look up the board specs to see how much memory it supports. If you put higher capacity RAM (i.e. 8GB) into a system that only supports up to a certain amount (i.e. 4GB) then only that certain amount will actually be used. If your computer fails to start with RAM in the slot, the modules could be faulty or there could be faulty slots. Also on some systems, the slots are paired in a way that you MUST add them in pairs. So for example slots 1 and 3; or 1 and 2; or 1 and 4 need to be filled, otherwise it won't work, but that all depends on the board.

Also, i'd run a memtest86+ always just to be sure that RAM is good.

A lot of motherboards require you to stagger the RAM sticks. If you have 2 sticks and four slots, you usually put them in the first and third ones. If you get two more matching sticks, be sure you put those in the second and fourth slots. It's not a big deal.

The thread title is just begging for "original" suggestions as to where to stick it.

What I usually do, is go to a computer supplier website which has an automatic tool for choosing upgrades, eg Kingston or Dane-Elec. Their tools allow you to select your system and choose from upgrades. It will warn for incompatible options.

HWGuy said:

If you're using WinXP 32-bit, there's some limitation that won't allow it to use the entire 4 GB of RAM.

Easy enough.

SLOT 0: 1GB
SLOT 1: 512MB
SLOT 2: 1GB
SLOT 3: 512MB

Buying the same brand and capacity ensures the RAM is using dual channel.