Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClumsyCryptid

Doom Builder 2 issues

Alright. I'm posting here for help over a mundane, and simple issue.

I have doors in my map, and they've yet to work. I have the right flags, and id tags, but when I test the map and play it. The initial lift that rises up and blocks the player from going back to the start of the level (Which currently is the most detailed portion of the map) I have a test crusher infront of this, just for testing purposes, and it's not going to be in the final product.

I have base bare bones so far, big blocky rooms and not enough detail.

List of problems:

1. Faulty rising stairs with a switch. What I'm trying to do is have the player hit the switch, and turn the corner. The stairs to the left of the player are intended to rise up in sequence, but they raise up in blocks and with it the floor that they connect to lowers. So instead of getting a set of stairs I get two blocks that rise from the floor and it looks like something out of a Ruba/Glassyman wad.

2. The door to the Lost Soul room, the Blue key door, and the 'lift' to the sloppy room does not activate despite having them properly unpegged with door tracks. (Scratched up wood in this case).

The Lost Soul room door is supposed to be connected to a walk over trigger so the player gets chewed in the back after walking over to the hallway with the rising stairs. There is about 5 Lost Souls, and 5 dead marines in room for detail; which is minute and minimal at this point of time.

The Blue key door is also properly unpegged, and requires the blue key which is at the end of a collapsed corridor. Again, minimal detail so far. This is another pointless door that is an alternative to the route with the collapsed corridor.

Those are my problems so far. I can attach the wad to this thread if need be, but keep in mind that is minimal in detail and no where near the final product.

Which reminds me.. How do you cut a linedef in a certain spot to produce a bar that comes across and connects to another wall? Sort-of the same as a bar in a jail cell. Of course I can't think of a wad to use an example for this, but it's a piece of detail I want.

If need be I can post the story to this wad to make the starting area make sense.

So, any help? This project is unrelated to my Bellevue, Washington project.

If you post the wad, I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Without seeing the map itself, it sounds like the stairs issue might be caused by having the lines facing the wrong way. I'd guess that the problem with the door might be that you're using an action which requires a tag, and/or it's tagged improperly.

Preliatus said:

1. Faulty rising stairs with a switch. What I'm trying to do is have the player hit the switch, and turn the corner. The stairs to the left of the player are intended to rise up in sequence, but they raise up in blocks and with it the floor that they connect to lowers. So instead of getting a set of stairs I get two blocks that rise from the floor and it looks like something out of a Ruba/Glassyman wad.

First of all, you have the stairs set to raise both when the player walks toward them (line 31), and when the player presses the switch (line 6); I assume that this is accidental, so you should probably remove the one on line 31. You also seem to have an unneeded stair switch action on the first stair itself (line 255), so you should get rid of that, because a player can accidentally trigger it if they hit the action button while facing the stairs.

Secondly, you're using the repeatable (SR, WR) versions of the stair actions, meaning that the player can activate them over and over again, potentially raising the stairs up into the ceiling. This is most noticable on the walkover action on line 31, because everytime you pass the hall, the stairs will get 8 units higher. Unless that's desired behaviour, I recommend using the S1 and W1 specials instead.

Now, onto the workings of the stairs themselves; the rising stair sectors shouldn't all be tagged; only the first step. You have them all tagged "1" when only sector 41 needs to be. Change sectors 34, 37, 38, 39, and 40 to all have tag = 0, and they'll raise in sequence as intended.

The other big problem is that you never "terminated" the stair sequence. The stair effect will move into the adjacent sectors if they have any lines facing into the previous stair sector; you designate the end of the stairs by ensuring that the last step sector has all lines facing "outward". That might sound confucing without a diagram, but just flip line 250, and so long as you followed the above step as well, the stairs should work properly.

2. The door to the Lost Soul room, the Blue key door, and the 'lift' to the sloppy room does not activate despite having them properly unpegged with door tracks. (Scratched up wood in this case).

Okay, well, the blue door doesn't work because the door sector isn't set up the way it needs to be. You have the floor raised up above the surrounding floors, when you need to do this to the ceiling instead; specifically, sector 89 (the door) should have its floor and ceiling both set to -56. Do the same for the other door at sector 55 as well.

Door actions raise the door's ceiling up toward the surrounding ceilings, they don't move the floor. If you want the floor to lower, then you should use one of the "lift" type actions instead.

I'm not sure which sector in the map is supposed to be the lift that you're talking about, but I noticed that three lines near the end have lift actions and a tag of "2". There is no sector tagged "2" in the map, so you might have just forgotten to tag the lift.

The Lost Soul room door is supposed to be connected to a walk over trigger so the player gets chewed in the back after walking over to the hallway with the rising stairs.

I see nothing that would open the "lost soul room" door aside from pressing on the door itself at this point. For it to work as you describe, the door itself needs a sector tag, and then you need to have a walkover door action somewhere; my guess is that the second stair trigger on line 31 is intended to be that trigger, and you perhaps got the two mixed up.

Which reminds me.. How do you cut a linedef in a certain spot to produce a bar that comes across and connects to another wall? Sort-of the same as a bar in a jail cell. Of course I can't think of a wad to use an example for this, but it's a piece of detail I want.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but the easiest way to make something like the bars of a proson cell would be through "middle textures", though if you want more "3D-ness" I guess you could use 3D floors since you're using ZDoom. Middle textures are easy enough to use; just edit the lines in 2D mode, go to the Sidedefs tab, and pick a texture for the "Middle" area. You'll often have to manually align them vertically, but that's not hard.

3D floors are a bit more work and are easier to screw up, so I'd say you shouldn't worry about them at this stage. If you want to play with them anyway, this page should aid you.

If you need help/clarification/examples for any of the above, let me know. :)