Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RestlessRodent

Need some lump editing input.

Hello, when editing WAD files lump wise and otherwise, which way to you prefer the most (for Simple Doom Editor, yes I decided to work on it again):

(1) Flat style -- Editing of all lump data as a flat list such as like in WinTex, XWE, etc. So when editing lumps you instead see a single directory containing all of the entries.

/
  |- MAP01
  |- THINGS
  |- TITLEPIC
  |- FF_START
  |- DUMBFLAT
  |- FF_END
(2) DeuTex/PKZip style -- Editing of all the lump data in sorted sections for explicit-ness. Such as when making WADs with DeuTex you use [lumps], [graphics], [sounds], etc. and when making PK3s for ZDoom-based ports put them in directories. So you have a bunch of lumps in flats/ instead of between FF_START and FF_END, and when exporting as a WAD or PK3 they are sectioned correctly. Exporting them to a WAD will place them in the correct markers, akin to DeuTex. Loading WADs will place any sane marked stuff into the correct regions.
  /
  |- flats/
  |  |- dumbflat.lmp
  |- maps/
  |  |- map01.wad
  |- graphics/
     |- titlepic.dgf
However, in the case of PK3s (ZIPs) only (2) is the case for the most part.

So in light of all of this, how would you like WADs to be edited:

(A) Use Mode (1) for WADs, and Mode (2) for ZIPs
(B) Use Mode (1) always for both WADs and ZIPs
(C) Use Mode (2) always for both WADs and ZIPs
(D) Use Mode (2) for WADs, and Mode (1) for ZIPs

I could always make this optional based on whatever, but input from actual people is good also.

A flat display for hierarchical archives does not make sense.

A hierarchical display for flat archives requires that the start and end markers are correctly placed, which is not a given. Especially when a popular (because required by vanilla compatibility) hack is based on mismatched markers.

Gez said:

A flat display for hierarchical archives does not make sense.

A hierarchical display for flat archives requires that the start and end markers are correctly placed, which is not a given. Especially when a popular (because required by vanilla compatibility) hack is based on mismatched markers.

Flats could be detected as vanilla flats are always 4096 bytes, whereas other image formats could be detected.

I prefer the flat XWE-style, but then I never work with PK3s.

Like Gez said, correct delimiters aren't always a given, and if you're editing WAD files you pretty much have to know enough about the file format to know where things go or are supposed to go and what format they can/can't be in.

Some PK3 projects are just a zipped single wadfile so there would just be a single tree anyway. I've seen other projects use a very complex file structure where I imagine a tree-based view would probably be really useful.

Of course, making options for all viewing styles would be the best, then everyone would be happy.

Super Jamie said:

Of course, making options for all viewing styles would be the best, then everyone would be happy.

This pretty much. I still plan on adding a tree view option in SLADE at some point.