Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Can anyone name a band...

That all the members are all dead or at least most of the original members?

For example, The Beatles only has two surviving members (Paul McCartney and Ringo) and Lynard Skynard only has one surviving original member but I wonder if there is a band where all the original members died?

The closest I can get is The Ramones. The original drummer is still alive, although he was only in the band for 4 years. The lead singer, the guitarist, and the original bassist are dead.

I can't think of any, but once the last bandmate dies, I'd hope the legacy would stop there. There are some children who still play their parents music (Zappa and Bonham) but they're under different labels...

HumanBones said:

The closest I can get is The Ramones. The original drummer is still alive, although he was only in the band for 4 years. The lead singer, the guitarist, and the original bassist are dead.

Fuck, three of the drummers are still alive, but none of them toured as the Ramones once the breakup.

EDIT: I hate to use the word "original member" since many bands have had or have members that aren't original but have been active in the band longer than some of the founders.

Ermm, why ask this question here? Once it's answered this thread becomes moot. More or less why wouldn't you ask this on a forum actually related to music directly?

I don't really listen to music from the 1920's or before but I doubt many bands from that time period probably have any living members.

The Rolling Stones.

OK, maybe not actually dead, but they look it. ;)

[edit] The exception, of course, being Brian Jones who actually is dead. [/edit]

[edit again] I think that with the death of Mitch Mitchell a couple or three years ago, the Jimi Hendrix Experience are all dead. OK, there were only three of them in the first place but they are all dead. [/edit again]

Enjay said:

The Rolling Stones.

OK, maybe not actually dead, but they look it. ;)

Supposedly, Keith Richards is able to cheat death because every few years, he gets a full blood transfusion at a clinic in Switzerland. Keith said he told this to the customs officer in London as a joke, and the guy bought it.

40oz said:

I don't really listen to music from the 1920's or before but I doubt many bands from that time period probably have any living members.

Pretty much that. I don't think there are many surviving members of Louis Armstrong And His All-Stars, for example.

The Ink Spots are all dead. I remember reading a year or two ago that their last remaining member died. Granted, they date back to the 30s, but their stuff still gets a lot of play these days.

rf` said:

Half of Pink Floyd is dead. :(

Waters, Gilmour, and Mason are all still alive. That means only 2/5 of the band is dead. 1/3 if you count their original guitarist that left before they recorded anything. I guess it's half the band if you're just talking about the Piper at the Gates of Dawn lineup.

Well, there's an Italian rock punk group called Tre Allegri Ragazzi Morti (three cheerful dead blokes/three happy dead boys), whose members are -allegedly- just that. Except they aren't.

Grain of Salt said:

Refused Are Fucking Dead

clap... clap...

I can't really think of any bands that I listen to regularly where any members are dead, let alone all of them. I've had my money on Tom Waits for a few years now, but he keeps kicking.

StevieCybernetik said:

Isn't Lynard Skynard mostly dead?

ducon said:

Even Lynyrd Skynyrd is not slaughtered by death.

I'd say it's probably harder to find long running rock groups (since the 60's or 70's) that still have all of their original members alive. You're specifically looking for a band where every single member has died but it's going strong with different people?

I've always found this stuff fascinating to think about. At what point does it make more sense to just disband and start a new project?