Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Duke Nukem Forever $10 on Steam

I'm really sorry this is an ad... but I think people might like to know.

I played the demo for the first time a few days ago. I liked it more than Hard Reset... but got stuck in the demo. That isn't exactly a glowing review by any means.

I spent $2 on Alpha Protocol. I'm enjoying it very much...

But about Duke... I've got so many other fresh things to play. Now that I have a current generation video card I can actually play all the games that I bought via the Steam sales over the years.

So I shouldn't... but I want to. Its weird, because I didn't even like the first Duke Nukem. I liked it for the first episode... but that's it.

Maybe I've been hypnotized to want Duke Nukem Forever when I know I don't want it. I've seen so many reviews about how terrible and boring the game is. Yet I want it. A fool and his money are soon parted...

Xeros612 said:

Just bought it. I'm tempted to play through and enjoy it just to spite people.

It's like contracting polio and enjoying it to spite people. It sucks and no matter how much you smile, we know you dislike it because you're a functioning human being.

We might enjoy it. I enjoyed the demo... but I've heard from reviewers that the demo was misleading.

Technician said:

It's like contracting polio and enjoying it to spite people. It sucks and no matter how much you smile, we know you dislike it because you're a functioning human being.

Or maybe not everyone views DNF as the equivalent of satan to a christian or jews to the nazis.

I bought the Balls of Steel edition and gave it to my friend for his birthday. He thinks it's cool to have all the collectible garbage. I find the game mostly frustrating. If I had money to burn I might get it for $10, but I don't.

geo said:

We might enjoy it. I enjoyed the demo... but I've heard from reviewers that the demo was misleading.

If you don't mind going through horrible platforming sections with horrible jumping mechanics and then having to go back several horrible platforming sections because you screwed up once then yeah, DNF is perfect.

I'd probably pay ten dollars for DNF if I had a machine that could run it properly, my personal distaste for Steam notwithstanding. Oh well, it sounds like I'm not missing much.

Goddamn it. I really shouldnt have preordered it.

Edit: Not that I should moan, the game really freakin' sucks.

Well, I bit today. I played the demo when it came out, and was very underwhelmed, but I figured for $10 it wouldn't matter much. The game, it's not that bad, but it's not that good. I'm about three or four hours in, and it's competent. With the DLC you can change the weapon limit from 2 to 4, so that helped. Gives it some sense of variety at least.

It's basically a standard shooter with regenerating health, linear levels, and sometimes good, sometimes crap graphics, with Duke Nukem. It just feels really middle of the road, never exceeds, but doesn't really fail either. It seems like there's some good ideas with it, but even after 13 years it feels rushed. Without Gearbox it never would've seen the light of day, but I think once Gearbox got their hands on it, they tried to shove it out the door as fast as possible, and it shows. It's not horrible, but it's not great and that's the best compliment I can give it. It's still fun to shoot pig cops and alien troopers with a shotgun, and it feels like, oddly enough, if they would've given it more time it would've been better. More time meaning if Gearbox would've had more time to make it less of stripped carcass and more of a full game. However, I still feel if it would've been a new IP it would've gotten a better reception, 13 years of buildup is quite a bit to live up to.

I can't say buy it, but I can't say don't buy it. If you're curious what the culmination of a 13 year punchline is, and don't mind a mediocre game that really plays like most console shooters, $10 isn't that much. If you have higher standards or have no interest in Duke Nukem, steer clear.

And really, you have to look at a train wreck. I bought Daikatana new in the box three years ago for less than a dollar on Amazon. It's a morbid curiosity. But at least Duke Nukem Forever doesn't have robot dragonflies.

Heh at this rate, it's probably going to get bargain-binned or mag-bundled pretty soon (within 6 months, take or leave). At which time I'll get it for under $10 and fuck whoever got it for $10 at least once ;-)

I've not bothered with Duke Spukem yet and don't think I'll bother even at the low price of $10. Maybe when I see it for under $5 on Steam...

BlackFish said:

I got Titan Quest Gold for $5 on Steam. I think I did the right thing.

That's awesome. I really enjoyed Titan Quest when I played it. I remember this cool mod that ran outside the game that was called a vault where you could store items.. that came in handy after awhile. Too bad some old re-install of windows meant I forgot to back that stuff up.

Jodwin said:

I wouldn't pay ten cents for DNF.

Not even in the form of electricity ;-)

So because of this post... I tried out the demo of Titan Quest. Its good, but I think its like a few other things that I already have. And I think its a single player game of the old Mu (free game). Maybe it will set itself apart, but 30 minutes into it, Titan Quest hasn't.

geo said:

So because of this post... I tried out the demo of Titan Quest. Its good, but I think its like a few other things that I already have. And I think its a single player game of the old Mu (free game). Maybe it will set itself apart, but 30 minutes into it, Titan Quest hasn't.

It's a diablo clone. And the Mu thing looks like an MMO diablo clone.

Titan Quest's skill system is a little bit different than others, but the game has class balance issues. There is a fan mod dedicated for that though, but it's been over a year since I played.

And I bought the first DLC pack! You should see the Doom parody level, Inferno. I chuckled when I recognised the level layout. I know it's fun to slag it off, but I thought DNF was ok, a 6 out of 10. :p

As I've said many times before, I don't see where all the hate is coming from. I thought it was alright myself. Not great certainly, but good enough to be enjoyable for me. I do wish I'd only got it for a tenner rather than full price though, as there's not a lot of replay value.