Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyle

the wizard of id

Did anyone else see the daily comic "THE WIZARD OF ID" today? The wizard summons a "Cacodaemon", and he has it, which looks NOTHING like the Cacodemon we are used to, help him clean his lab, and I am kinda p!$$ed about it. Is anyone else?
Just thought I'd pop in and say something about it.

That's the one!
Thank you!

I wonder...THE WIZARD OF "ID"..."CACODAEMON"...

Kyle said:

That's the one!
Thank you!

I wonder...THE WIZARD OF "ID"..."CACODAEMON"...

Obviously, a comic strip that debuted (and was given its title) in 1964 was named after a game development studio that was funded twenty-seven years afterwards.

Also obviously, the terms of "cacodemon" and "id" were coined by John Romero himself and have never been used before his advent upon the world.

But your keen eye has missed another blatant proof of this obvious connection: the wizard in this strip talks about his lab, which obviously means that the scene takes place either in E1M5 or in E2M4.

Cacodemon, from Latin Cacodaemon, in turn from Greek Kakodaimon, simply means "evil spirit". The word has been in use longer than Doom has existed, so there is nothing saying every "cacodemon" must be a big, floating, one-eyed beast. Yeah, I know Gez was being sarcastic, but whatever. :p

Imps are another monster that don't really "conform" to their name. Even the Doom manual points this out. Interestingly though, revenants do actually resemble old, revived corpses, making their names accurately describe them.

The art for the Cacodemon sprite came from Dungeons and Dragons art. I actually have the full-color page at my house in a monster compendium binder. The creature it shows has arms though, and it's called an Astral Dreadnought. And I'm almost positive that everyone on this forum already knows this.

Gez said:

Obviously, a comic strip that debuted (and was given its title) in 1964 was named after a game development studio that was funded twenty-seven years afterwards.

Also obviously, the terms of "cacodemon" and "id" were coined by John Romero himself and have never been used before his advent upon the world.

But your keen eye has missed another blatant proof of this obvious connection: the wizard in this strip talks about his lab, which obviously means that the scene takes place either in E1M5 or in E2M4.

Jesus! Relax man!

Vordakk said:

The art for the Cacodemon sprite came from Dungeons and Dragons art. I actually have the full-color page at my house in a monster compendium binder. The creature it shows has arms though, and it's called an Astral Dreadnought. And I'm almost positive that everyone on this forum already knows this.

Actually, I didn't know the name of it or its source, but I knew of the original picture.

Gez said:

Don't forget the Alpha and Delta (if there weren't more) labs on Mars!