Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

IWAD crossover

What happens if we would make a map with crossing the styles of IWADs?

Everybody knows: all the IWADs have a custom style. And style crossovering is not a rare thing, just remember DTWID project!

But crossover may be possible between IWADs, e.g. Plutonia's Cyberden with Doom 1's Tower of Babel. Okay, it's a lame idea, but you know what am I saying.

Do you think is it a good idea? If yes, write down your favourite combination.

(PS.: Jimmy Paddock already made a crossover in his Jenesis project: Plutonia's Well of Souls with Evilution's Human BBQ... that was a funny map!)

Grymmoire's Fusion Mapping project sounds like it might interest you.

The very basic premise of Fusion Mapping is to take two classic maps from any Doom iwad (Ultimate, Doom 2, Final [plutonia/tnt]) and combine their layouts and themes in such a way as to create a new, yet nostalgic experience.

Actually, I think it is something of a masterpiece, how he has woven these chunks of maps together.

Sorry to Necro-post but I found this thread interesting. Map fusions (with a little planning) can be awesome. I played a wad for DOOM/DOOM2 that followed the map fusion idea, but let just say it didn't only fuse doom maps.

The wad had a map that fused
E1M1 (DOOM)
E1M8 (DOOM)
E2M2 (DOOM)
E2M8 (DOOM)
E3M8 (DOOM)
E1M1 (Heretic)
Map01 (Hexen)

and it contained all textures, sprites, sounds, etc. needed to run it in DOOM or DOOM2 (in the areas that weren't DOOM they contained monsters, items, traps, etc. that appeared in the orginal map in the Iwad it came from, also the textures, sprites, and other graphics were in "true color" PNG image format.)

Darkforce002 said:

Sorry to Necro-post but I found this thread interesting. Map fusions (with a little planning) can be awesome. I played a wad for DOOM/DOOM2 that followed the map fusion idea, but let just say it didn't only fuse doom maps.

The wad had a map that fused
E1M1 (DOOM)
E1M8 (DOOM)
E2M2 (DOOM)
E2M8 (DOOM)
E3M8 (DOOM)
E1M1 (Heretic)
Map01 (Hexen)

and it contained all textures, sprites, sounds, etc. needed to run it in DOOM or DOOM2 (in the areas that weren't DOOM they contained monsters, items, traps, etc. that appeared in the orginal map in the Iwad it came from, also the textures, sprites, and other graphics were in "true color" PNG image format.)

Do you happen to know the name of this wad and/or know where I can find it?

1ntru said:

Do you happen to know the name of this wad and/or know where I can find it?

I wish I could remember what it was called, and I would just email the wad to however wanted it (because I don't remember were I got it :( ) but my cpu that had the wad harddrive went bad so I lost EVERYTHING!!!!! It sucked....
all of my best wads I made were gone as well...
I would try googling it, but you may not get very far with that.

I could try making a map like it, but some may not like it (due to the fact it looks 1999ish), so Im not sure if it would be worth it, and some parts looked a Copy and paste job with minor editing.

I would recommend Cleimos II MAP20 which is a clever and funny combination of all Episode 1 levels in one epic map. It's built from memorable areas of KneeDeep's maps, but with a more grim, more sinister color scheme.

I think this level would be cool for speedy playing on high difficulty levels (UV-Fast, Nightmare).