Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadow1013

DCK

Quick question on the doom construction kit. whenever I try to run it on dosbox it crashes as soon as i select a video driver. if i try to select vesa dosbox crashes as well, and if i select s3 (which is what the dosbox card emulates) then dck wont startup complaining of missing driver. what gives?

DCK 3.62 works fine for me in dosbox 0.74, in VESA 800x600.

What versions of dck/dosbox are you running?

Hmm, some months ago I did get the last freeware version of DCK to run in DOSBox, but can't remember which settings I used. I ended up just learning Yadex instead because the DCK was very laggy under emulation.

Edit: oh my DOSBox is v0.73 though (mainly because I haven't upgraded my OS in the past 18 months, lol). Maybe the changes in 0.74 might make DCK snappier.

@NiuHaka: yeah, DCK was so nice and easy back in the day that I never learned DEU. ;) It also has some cool features like user-definable texture themes...

I really wish Doom Builder was more like DCK. I really have nothing constructive to add to this. Just wanted to blurt that out.

I tried it out in DOSBOX and it worked for me my only thought was how spoiled we are today with the 3D editing mode.

el zee, i have both dosbox 0.74 and dck 3.62, but when i try vesa 800x600 it crashes dosbox. i run linux x64 btw, and it crashes with a segmentation fault with a whole bunch of error messages from dosbox complaining about illegal writes to cs:ip

I don't know why it's not working, try messing with the dosbox config file, or post at the dosbox forums.

Also before dosbox was around I used to use a dos bootdisk to run DCK. I don't know if that will work these days with todays large hard disk sizes etc..

well i messed with everything and it still wouldnt work.. i change the cpu emulator to simple and i saw the loading screen but then it crashed again...

I tried the old version I linked to again and it works fine with VESA mode at 800x600. Basically:

$ cd /tmp; mkdir dck; cd dck; unzip dck22f.zip
$ cd /tmp; mkdir doom; cd doom; cp $DOOMWADDIR/doom.wad .
$ dosbox -fullscreen
C:\> mount d /tmp
C:\> d:
D:\> cd dck
D:\DCK> dck

I chose VESA when it asked for video driver, and then it just worked. I loaded my map, and used the auto-align tool to fix a bunch of linedefs on the map I'm working on. Saved the map, exited DOSBox, ran bsp and tested the map (looked okay).

I have these settings in ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf:
machine=svga_s3
memsize=16
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true