Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

If you were in charge of Doom 3 what would you change?

printz said:

Yes I do, but I was too lazy to find out the exact type, and just "Metal" sounds too trite.

Trites are probably more Black Metal imo
:P

D3's theme is more or less just instrumental Metal. Nothing else can describe it. Can't be Death Metal as there is no guttural vocal style. It's not Thrash, it's not that abrasive and is rather slow. And I think it's pretty obvious it's not Black, Industrial, Nu, Modern, or any other style of Metal out there.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The game is not too dark. You can see the architecture, you can see the monsters, you can see the detail, except in a very few select places where it was pitch black on purpose. If you were having trouble seeing the majority of the game, you have a shitty monitor or you need eye surgery. I and many other people had no problems with the lighting. The only time I used the flashlight was to check in dark corners or alcoves for secrets.

What I would change is I would have the title of the game be something besides Doom, to get rid of all these whiney faggots who were disappointed because they just wanted to play Doom 2 on a 2004 graphics engine.

I also didn't hear any metal. The game didn't even have music, just ambience. If you're referring to the intro and endgame music... wow. If you think that's metal, you have lived quite the sheltered life.

I've not said this before and I'll say it. Doom can bennefit from taxi missions in a lunar rover.

As for too dark... yeah that's what gamma correction is for. Or maybe they need a light at the end of your shotgun. And yes Face I'd name it to something else as well. Its funny they call it Doom 3 yet its a reboot of Doom... why call it 3?

Face23785 said:

I also didn't hear any metal. The game didn't even have music, just ambience. If you're referring to the intro and endgame music... wow. If you think that's metal, you have lived quite the sheltered life.

If that isn't Metal, then what is it? What's your definition of Metal?

PRIMEVAL said:

If that isn't Metal, then what is it? What's your definition of Metal?

It's just some standard rock music. It's not hard enough to qualify as metal. I don't even listen to metal, and if I were a metal fan, I'd find that insulting.

Edit: I DO like the D3 music though, like someone else already said I think it fits the ending of the game.

Face23785 said:

It's just some standard rock music. It's not hard enough to qualify as metal. I don't even listen to metal, and if I were a metal fan, I'd find that insulting.

Edit: I DO like the D3 music though, like someone else already said I think it fits the ending of the game.

If Van Halen is Metal, then I'm sure the D3 theme is Metal, too.

Yeah, listen to the incredible, Van Halen-esque shredding on the Doom 3 theme. Clearly metal.

Now that the Doom3 source code will come out and we've had 6 years to mull over what was right and wrong. We should see the perfect Doom game come out by the fans.

Since when is Van Halen metal? Is Bruce Springsteen metal too?

Jesus Christ.

Edit: I'm really not trying to be offensive here but this is getting out of hand. A quick google search reveals some calling it metal and some calling it rock. A few results describe it as GLAM METAL...

Really? Back in the 90s you hadta lose your voice during the course of a 1 hour set to qualify as a metal band, and it was it's own genre: metal. Now there's a million [insert caviat]-Metal genres for bands that wanted to feel like they were more badass than a rock band but didn't quite make the cut. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Another edit: I'm actually a fan of Van Halen so I'm not dissing them, I just don't associate them with a metal sound.

I'm with Face. I don't think they are. Maybe classic rock. Metal I'd consider grunge in there too. But eh the metal vs ambient has been discussed to death. In fact that should get its own topic.

geo said:

Now that the Doom3 source code will come out and we've had 6 years to mull over what was right and wrong. We should see the perfect Doom game come out by the fans.

You've already had 6 years to make the perfect Doom game, if you wanted to. It's not the engine that's the problem.

Face23785 said:

Since when is Van Halen metal? Is Bruce Springsteen metal too?

Jesus Christ.

Edit: I'm really not trying to be offensive here but this is getting out of hand. A quick google search reveals some calling it metal and some calling it rock. A few results describe it as GLAM METAL...

Really? Back in the 90s you hadta lose your voice during the course of a 1 hour set to qualify as a metal band, and it was it's own genre: metal. Now there's a million [insert caviat]-Metal genres for bands that wanted to feel like they were more badass than a rock band but didn't quite make the cut. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Another edit: I'm actually a fan of Van Halen so I'm not dissing them, I just don't associate them with a metal sound.

Van Halen was one of the bands to define Metal. Same with Led Zeppelin. Same with Sabbath. Same with Deep Purple. And what does losing your voice have to do with Metal? If you're singing is that bad, then I'm sure you're doing it wrong (eg. Cannibal Corpse). The 90's had some horrible music, anyway.

I don't see how Halen ISN'T Metal. Halen is pretty heavy for something from the 70s.

I do agree, though, that sub-genres get a bit ridiculous. Though, it helps narrowing your search for a particular sound in some cases.

Face23785 said:

I concede that. I guess I just cant tell the difference between rock and metal.

Metal is a style of Rock ;) It's also so broad and varied, it can practically melt into other styles.

Make a new topic guys... called Doom Metal or Rock...

Anyway here's a joke to lighten the mood. Doom 3 needed more crackwhore imps. Maybe a cyberdemon with a cowboy hat. Batruger should have been voiced by Paul Ryser. Imps should have been Aliens and you should have been Ripley.

I think we've said every good thing that Doom 3 would have had if it were made by a gamer and not a man locked in a dark closet for 5 years who only left when he needed to talk about his rocket program.

Grantman711, I don't know what you've been smoking, but there's no death metal in Doom 3. Just wimpy "hard alternative" from that faggot in Tool.

I thought it was Chris Vrenna formerly of Nine Inch Nails... maybe he was in Tool as well. I thought the Doom 3 theme was great, but I'd categorize it more as industrial metal... but uh we've totally derailed the topic.

I personally don't like it much. For an intro song, I think I'd have something much darker, probably heavier playing. It may fit the ending music, though. I still don't like it too much.

We should make a new topic...

Back to the topic on hand I would have liked it if Doom 3's setup was less like Half Life 1. Now that I played HL1 6 years after playing Doom 3 its a shame that HL1 did a better job on technology that was 10 years older.

Then Rage comes out and its pretty much the same setup as Fallout 3. It makes me think when Doom 4 comes out it will have the plot to Half Life 2.

Doom 3's music - fag rock.
Don't like the game, but I think it was done very well... no change needed.

I probably would've added some more classic monsters like the Arachnotron and PE. That's also call for some wider areas. I'd also have more levels centered in the dig site and hell. I'd keep Betruger as well since I liked his corny B-Movie persona. I'd increase player speed too, but not by a ton. I'd probably cut Kelly out, since I found him annoying. I'd much rather have contact with Campbell. Also would've used Swann a bit more, and have more back story from McCormick at the lab, and have some sort of foreshadowing to the appearance of Rogers in the dig (Since I found those two characters kind of important since one was Dig manager and the other was Betruger's aide.)

Also, maybe have some fight with Super-Human Demon thing, and Cyberdemon thing where, you can kill him with normal weapons, and you can still use the Cube, and when you use it you regain lost health. However, at the same time, the Cyberdemon would regain some health. So you kind of have it where you can take health from the Cyberdemon, but he'd also gain a little health. Imps and Maggots wouldn't be there either. Raise Cybie health. Battle could be a bit tougher.

I would have made some rather significant but straightforward changes...weapons with more punch, enemies that have a more demonic/threatening appearance, far less spawn gimmicks, no Betruger, way more Hell, the Spider Mastermind, less textural and design repitition, more mystery to the story, no PDAs (something more practical in futuristic in its place), practical lightning (the engine is great but with some tweaking and better overall light placement the facilities wouldn't look so absurdly dark), creepier ambient music ala PSX Doom/Doom 64, no faggoty "hard rock" theme/end music, more enemies on screen at once, and some of the power-ups like the soul sphere.

geo said:

It makes me think when Doom 4 comes out it will have the plot to Half Life 2.

Its going to be on Earth, so yeah.
It's gonna have similar plot to HL2.

Dr. Durr said:

I started playing Half Life 2 for the first time today (after beating HL1 and expansions)... It is set on Earth... well outdoors in a city instead of in a sealed complex. It is quite jarring going from HL1 to HL2. I have no idea what's going on and it’s been 2 hours. The city looks to be under lockdown from humans. There is an alien with the resistance living along side of man. Makes no sense right now. It feels like I missed some intro movie explaining it all.

Anyway... playing HL1 and HL2 just makes me think someone at Valve (maybe Randy Pitchford) tried to work for iD software and they said... no you're not good enough. Then they said I'll show you!!! Then they made HL1 similar to Doom (teleportation, alien worlds, facility, you vs commandos) but with a story and coherency, then made HL2 to resemble Doom 2.

... Then iD thought if you're gonna copy us we're gonna copy you. By taking so many elements from HL1 and putting them in Doom 3.

Dr. Durr said:

This might be the most retarded post in this thread since geo's on page 1.

edit, because his enlightening first post on page 1 just wasn't awesome enough:

geo said:

Anyway... playing HL1 and HL2 just makes me think someone at Valve (maybe Randy Pitchford)...

geo, you amaze me.

This post is kind of redundant when there are Doom 4 wishlist posts. Even if this is about Doom 3. There's nothing left to say except jokes here... like I wish Doom 3 had hookers. Zombie hookers... and thrash metal not... Chris Vrenna music.

Mogul said:

This might be the most retarded post in this thread since geo's on page 1.

edit, because his enlightening first post on page 1 just wasn't awesome enough:

geo, you amaze me.

Prob. should clarify.
Gordon/Doomguy leaves Xen/Hell and finds Earth taken over by demons/Combine.

Ulysses leaves Troyes and finds his home taken over by annoying guys haggling his wife. Doom is totally ripping off the Greeks.