Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

What is your favorite weapon and what is your least favorite weapon in DooM 2?

What is your favorite weapon in DooM 2 and why is it your favorite? What is your least favorite weapon in DooM 2 and why do you dislike it? My favorite would have to the Plasma Rifle because it does a good amount of damage at a high rate of fire. My least favorite would be the Pistol because it doesn't do very much damage and it fire's very slow.

Favorite: The crusher. Kill a spider mastermind with the flip of a switch!
Least favorite: Frying pan.

Favorite: The Super Shotgun
I was always a fan of double barrel shotguns, simply because you can feel their POWAR when you shoot them. Serious Sam's shotgun would be a decent example. The quake 2 shotgun would be the best example, and whenever playing it, I always pull it out. Very satisfying seeing the chaingunner strogg being blasted away with it.

Least Favourite: Pistol
My reason for not liking it is because it is quickly outdated. The only possible reason someone would use it is for it's one shot 100% accurate. And then you get a chaingun, which has two shots with perfect accuracy. You pretty much forget the pistol is in your arsenal.

I see the "you're" vs "your" debate is still current as of 2011.

Damnit, Maes, I was about to post "Since when am I favorite weapon?" but you've gone and semi-ruined it for me. :P

Xaser said:

Damnit, Maes, I was about to post "Since when am I favorite weapon?" but you've gone and semi-ruined it for me. :P

No need to feel ashamed about it, it appears that the even the wisest Internet elders are not unanimous over which is the proper form. It's kind of like a woman asking "do I look fat"? ;-)

I find a use for all of them and love them all equally. Unpowered fist would be the one real exception, as I know full well it's all going wrong when that's my best option.

My favourite weapons are my enemies.
My least favourite weapon is the kamikaze deployment.

Favourite: SSG, because I found this new weapon powerful and fun to use!
Least favourite: Pistol, this low-power weapon sucks as hell and I really never use it other from exceptional cases!

Favourite: Pistol - I started using this in duels more and more, typically after severly wounding the opponent with the Super. Why? Conserve ammo, gain experience at predicting damage dealt and observing the opponent's next planned counter/rage pattern without rushing them. It's also a sinfully nice feeling when pulled off. Surprisingly effective.

Least Favourite: Fist. Useless without berserk.

Most favorite: Plasma Gun, Rocket Launcher. RL is brutal, but unlike in most games it works both ways. DooM is one of few games which have 100% self damage. Quake1, Quake2 reward sloppy play due to 50% self damage reduction.
Least favorite: probably SSG. It made me stop playing DooM in multiplayer. b00ring. In single player, SSG is not really an addition to the arsenal. Rather, a replacement. Also, I dislike melee weapons. Yes, they can be useful, but their pitiful range makes them pain in the ass. Also, they're buggy and can't hit big enemies reliably.

My least favorite is a mashup between the plasma rifle, because it's loud as fuck and hurts my ears, and the pistol, because of the huge latency between when you click and when your weapon actually fires.

The SSG and Rocket Launchers are my favorites.

Most favorite: Should come as no surprise that like most people, I adore the super shotty. Right after that is the plasma rifle, though I prefer its usage in mods where the projectiles obscure less of your vision.
Least favorite: Pistol, of course. You already know why; it fires too slow and you pretty much abandon it as soon as you get more weapons.

Favorite: Plasma Gun
Least Favorite: SSG

Why? Because despite being a great gun, the SSG warps the gameplay into "use only the SSG". It gets boring after a while.

Mr. Freeze said:

Favorite: Plasma Gun
Least Favorite: SSG

Why? Because despite being a great gun, the SSG warps the gameplay into "use only the SSG". It gets boring after a while.

Only if you choose to play that way. It's, admittingly, a staggeringly popular weapon, but there's enough power among the other guns that the "use only the SSG" problem you're talking about happens mostly out of the player's reliance on the gun rather than the super shotty trumping the other weapons.

Favorite: Rocket Launcher - crazy amount of damage not only to single targets, but works well in a crowded area (of course if you're far enough away).

Least Favorite: Fists (no berserk) - No person in their right mind would try and punch a monster without berserk. Too risky.

SeanWJF said:

I'm changing my least favourite to be specifically the chainsaw because I would rather use my fists.

Trying to spite me, eh? :P

SeanWJF said:

I'm changing my least favourite to be specifically the chainsaw because I would rather use my fists.

Yeah, it's easier to fist a Baron of Hell than trying to Chainsaw it.