Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KiiiYiiiKiiiA

Limit removing map crashes. Help!

The TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps are missing most of the original textures and patches.

Not every port will read multiple texture or pname lumps and will only load the last one with the same name. Hence your TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps are overwriting the originals in Doom2.wad.

Rename your TEXTURE1 lump, TEXTURE2. Doom2 doesn't use the TEXTURE2 lump (Doom1 does), but will read it. Or you can copy the original TEXTURE1 lump from Doom2.wad and add your new textures to the end of it.

For the PNAMES lump, you can't rename and must use the original PNAMES lump and add your new patches to it.

Tried to do the above fixes myself as I wanted to play it... No dice, game still exited on launch with a I_SignalHandler 11 error. Trying to open it in DB2... DB2 crashes.

What kind of black magic did you use to make this one, Kyka? :)

Well, if you re-order patches in PNAMES, you have to remap them in the TEXTURE lump.

Despite what most lump editing programs may imply, Doom looks up patches by number, rather than by name.

Also, the TEXTURE1 lump in this particuar wad appears to actually be damaged/broken in some way: XWE reports all the textures in TEXTURE1 as having 0 patches.

ZDoom supports multiple TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps of the same name. It also appears to be able to handle the damaged TEXTURE1 lump; despite what XWE tells me, ZDoom is clearly reading and mapping patches from the TEXTURE1 lump in the wad.

Thanks heaps guys for the feedback.

I used Slade3 and DB2 for all of this map, tho obviously the fault lies not with those two.

Phml said:

Tried to do the above fixes myself as I wanted to play it... No dice, game still exited on launch with a I_SignalHandler 11 error. Trying to open it in DB2... DB2 crashes.

What kind of black magic did you use to make this one, Kyka? :)

Now this is the odd thing. The version that you have runs fine in DB2 for me, BUT, when I went back and redid the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lump from scratch, that new version crashed DB2 for me. Go figure.

The texture1 lump looks ok to me in Slade tho, and ZDoom runs it fine, as you said.

Chocorenderlimits will run the map itself, when run from DB2 with a separate texture pack, but won't run the new version with all those textures/patches combined into a single wad. So the problem is not the map itself, but the resources, obviously.

So I should go back and grab a Doom2 PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps, and then just add all my new patches/textures to those existing ones, would be the way to go, yeah?

tl;dr

So I assume that it is a bad thing that with some of the patches I have used modified versions, but with the same name as their Doom2 equivalents. (eg SW1_1 and SW2_1). Could this be causing the problem? As in there is a SW1_1 patch in the Doom2 wad, and another patch with the same name in my wad.

I have also used some Doom2 texture names (for example SW1LION and SW2LION, SW1BRCOM and SW2BRCOM) which I have created, in the wads TEXTURE1 lump. Could this be also causing problems, as in the relevant port is reading SW1LION from the Doom2 TEXTURE1 lump, and then reading the same texture name from my new texture lump?

From what you guys are saying, this is probably not helping the problem.

If you have patches with identical names to existing ones, the ones that are loaded last will be used in place of the others. Generally this will mean the ones in your wad will be used in place of the iwad ones. This is normal and can be used to replace patches or flats or whatever. It's also what happens when you include a MAP01 in your wad: your map01 gets loaded after the original map01, and so it replaces the original.

Only the last-loaded PNAMES and TEXTURE1 will be used.