• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberCT

Help: Assistance For Supershotgun Into Ultimate Doom

Hi,

I know this is possible, as it has been done here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0BXqta19Gw

The download link above has been removed sometime ago. I have both Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, so I have both the WAD files. What the person did in the link above was extract all the sounds, animations, etc from the doom2.wad and put them in the doom.wad.

However, I have no idea exactly which files all pertain to the supershotgun, to get them into the Doom.wad.

Could some experienced user on this forum point me in the right direction?

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

To get the supershotgun in Ultimate DOOM, you have a couple ways:

1) Extract its resources (sprites and sounds) from the DOOM 2 IWAD (check http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Super_Shotgun for sprite and sound names), then make a PWAD to load after Ultimate DOOM which has the weapon behaviour coded - for example using the DECORATE scripting language, if you plan to use ZDOOM or GZDOOM. Don't know if this is possible with DeHackEd...

2) Load the WAD downloadable below (which contains the above work already done) after your UDOOM campaign (requires ZDOOM):

http://www.mediafire.com/?2j28i8ibhn94eoa (*)

(one out of three regular shotguns will be a supershotgun, or so)

Bye,

-- RSL

(*) I made it on the fly - you have to check if it works...

Thank you for the help.

I dragged the WAD you made over to the doxbox executable for GZDOOM, and it started to load up like usual (the grey window came up), but then this error came up in the grey loading window and haulted:

Script error, "SSG-DOOM.wad:DECORATE" line 21:
"rslsupershotgun" is an unknown actor property

*Ouch* You're right. I missed that damn comma between shotgun and supershotgun when equipping the player.

Find a (hopefully) fixed version here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bj5iy3yi69v7cr3

And remember, the supershotgun spawns randomly in place of a shotgun. So to test it, I'd suggest that you warp to a Ultimate DOOM level which has a shotgun lying on the floor directly visible from the start, and continue to do so until you see a supershotgun in place of it... :-)

Awesome, I just dragged and dropped the mod over the gzdoom executable and it loaded up. Got the Super Shotgun in the second level! Thanks!

One question then, what is the command line after the executable to make sure GZDoom always loads this MOD up when Ultimate Doom starts?

I'm using the Steam version.

Glad to see it's working! :-)

Anyway, you may want to create a "Skins" directory under the main GZDOOM one and put all WADs to autoload there (although - as the dir name implies - this is encouraged only for player skins). More in general, follow this page:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Autoload

Technically, maybe - after all, it does include only the unmodified Super Shotgun sprites, and a DECORATE script file to enable the weapon in the first DOOM. But I also guess that banning such a thing would be a bit ridiculous IMHO... :-)

I thought id Software had specifically said that materials from Doom 2 were not to be backported to Doom 1?

Really? I didn't know about this, honestly... But does this affect also, say, the DOOM 2 monsters found in KDiZD? :-O

rsl said:

Really? I didn't know about this, honestly... But does this affect also, say, the DOOM 2 monsters found in KDiZD? :-O

Are there even any Doom 2 monster resources used in KDiZD?

I thought it was the above issue of mixing resources between games (along with id's explicit disapproval of such) which was the main impetus for the chaingunner and SSG sprite redesigns for that project.

Also, since it looks like KDiZD grants permission to reuse its resources, you could probably drop in the double shotgun sprites from there easily to use as the SSG in Doom 1 as well, not that anyone would care enough to avoid the Doom II sprites anyway.

WildWeasel said:

I thought id Software had specifically said that materials from Doom 2 were not to be backported to Doom 1?

That's what I was wondering.

The SSG had to be coded from scratch and needed new graphics for KDIZD because of this issue, right?

hex11 said:

You can always use the Freedoom SSG...

This.

TimeOfDeath said:

Aren't all the doom2 states included in the ultimate doom wad?

wrong

Aren't all the doom2 states included in the ultimate doom wad? So you could use a dehacked lump to turn something into the ssg without using sprites and sounds from doom2.wad?

No resources from Doom 2 were used in KDiZD. Even HK is simply altered BoH from Ultimate Doom and not just ripped from Doom 2. Ultimate Doom has some engine features ported from Doom 2 just for fourth episode but not resources. So dehacked version of SSG is the only way to make it into vanilla UD, with new resources like KDiZD or FreeDoom. Decorate/Zdoom based however may be little bugged (as mentioned there).

Brewtal_Legend said:

I wonder why doom 2 resources are not supposed to be used in Ultimate doom?

My guess is that the Doom Source License wouldn't permit it. Could be wrong though. :?

I once made a quickly-hacked WAD for another user (as visible in the first posts) to have the SuperShotgun randomly spawned and usable even in Ultimate DOOM. But now that this backporting issue has been brought to attention, and a pure-DeHackEd version has been declared possible, would anyone be willing to implement it as pure DeHackEd with freely-usable resources? I know ZDOOM's DECORATE quite well, but I have absolutely no DeHackEd skills... :-(