Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Doom II Redux (It has nothing to do with Nazi Germany, Pavera!)

Grain of Salt said:

It was in that version as well. Your screenshot is from ZDoom, isn't it? ZDoom won't show every graphic error that PrBoom+ does.

It's not in PrBoom+ either.

I really don't know what's happened here. If I were you, I'd try going through the linedefs in that area and sorting out the sector references.

Yeah that fixed it, it apparently only existed in the wad I was saving the maps in for testing (so that I didn't have to waste file size with incomplete maps). I was looking at my base copy, where that problem never existed. I have no idea what caused it. But then again, my mapping knowledge is extremely limited.

Update: http://www.mediafire.com/?wrm7e93aaf91icr (Yes, to fix one tiny HOM)

Amazing work man! Not as epic as Vanguard was, although I like your recreation style. Doom 2 and Plutonia combination, so funny!

Memfis said:

COOL. Here is my FDAs - http://www.mediafire.com/?gvbff35tcnhcma4 (no exit on maps 6,9,10,11).

I think ammo balance is a little too rough on map09. Also I can't imagine finishing map08 without the plasma gun. Mandatory secrets aren't cool.

Both maps were actually even rougher before I sent some feedback saying I think they should have more ammo.

I still think Map09 is right on the verge but I did finish Map08 without the Plasma Gun (though order of visiting areas may matter). I actually cleared most areas before I got the Berserk though, so I did not by any means go the easiest route.

Nonetheless based on this it may be appropriate to add a small amount of further ammo (esp Map09). And while I personally didn't find it necessary in this case, I agree with one point in general (as in, for any wad) - mandatory secrets are no-no's.

Katamori said:

Amazing work man! Not as epic as Vanguard was, although I like your recreation style. Doom 2 and Plutonia combination, so funny!

Very little is as epic as Vanguard.

Although, if the quality keeps up, it might be as a full megawad!

BTW what map have you played to so far?

MegaDoomer said:

Although, if the quality keeps up, it might be as a full megawad!

BTW what map have you played to so far?

Agree.

I played from MAP01 to MAP05 in a row.

Katamori said:

Agree.

I played from MAP01 to MAP05 in a row.

The architectural style diverages to something different Map07-Map11. Just as good though IMO. :) Watch ammo usage Map08 and particularly Map09; see my response to Memfis above.

Memfis said:
Also I can't imagine finishing map08 without the plasma gun. Mandatory secrets aren't cool. [/B]

I agree mandatory secrets are not cool. I was able to get 100% kills (excluding any enemies in secrets) on every map with no secret usage, so I figured everything was fine. Please report any item deficiency as you see fit.

Well, I tried map09 again and succeeded on the first try without much troubles. I guess I was just too tired when I played a few hours ago. :)

This looks fantastic. Plenty of large, interesting areas, texturing is sweet. Do you plan on making this coop compatible, Tarnsman? I'd love to run through it in a multiplayer session.

Memfis said:

Well, I tried map09 again and succeeded on the first try without much troubles. I guess I was just too tired when I played a few hours ago. :)

Some of it depends on what order you visit the areas in.

More feedback on the demo would be welcome, as it would help let me know how I'm doing as one especially as more progress is made.

If you don't think it's a matter to be discussed here, or just would not like to post publicly, feel free to PM me.

Update time. Probably the last version I put out until I do a proper 32 map demo.

Here - http://www.mediafire.com/?haxuw8fzyt7gn19

Map 07 completely remade because I hated it.
A bunch of minor fixes.
Added Co-op starts, but that's it. I might implement full Co-op later.

Feedback appreciated. Be sure to point out all those pesky little errors.

I'm loving every maps so far, excellent work!

Oh and nice choice in using a Tales of Vesperia song for map07 and a Castlevania Order of Ecclesia song for map08. :D

Archvile78 said:

I'm loving every maps so far, excellent work!

Oh and nice choice in using a Tales of Vesperia song for map07 and a Castlevania Order of Ecclesia song for map08. :D

Where are you up to?

BTW unless you are using ZDoom, be sure to download the LATEST public demo before reaching Map07.

MegaDoomer said:

Where are you up to?

BTW unless you are using ZDoom, be sure to download the LATEST public demo before reaching Map07.

I'm at map07, downloaded the demo from the original post just about an hour ago so it should be the latest public demo.

I sorta find the abuse of revenant annoying but heh, fun maps regardless.

Archvile78 said:

I'm at map07, downloaded the demo from the original post just about an hour ago so it should be the latest public demo.

I sorta find the abuse of revenant annoying but heh, fun maps regardless.

Revenant abuse on what map(s) and how?

Map07 mainly, map06 was decent on the usage of revenant though it didn't really bothered me. By the way i loved the mastermind fight.

Hey, really enjoying this so far, just completed map 06. I agree the mastermind fight was awesome, but that chain gunner trap was mean! Thank god I had a plasma gun. Also, I love the dead marines and signs of previous battles, I hope that is a continuing theme. Keep it up!

Edit: Jesus, that mancubus room in map 7 is intense.

Hey, really amazing work you have here. :)
When I first played this, I didnt notice any resemblances to the original levels untill I got to the second level...but now that I look at the first map again, I can't help but notice the triangle shaped stairs heh..not sure how I managed to miss that at first.

Hope you'll make more maps/finish the rest of the episodes, would be awesome to see more epic levels like map10!

Btw. the alpha will be ran this Thursday at ZDaemon TNS #14.
DW news post here.

Worst said:

Btw. the alpha will be ran this Thursday at ZDaemon TNS #14.
DW news post here.

Wow, now that I do some online Doom I could easily see myself participating in that. :)

But - the skin, etc. wads that need to be loaded with it, what do they contain in terms of affecting gameplay/looks/weapons/monsters (other than 2x damage)?

Also looking forward to getting more to test myself. :) Map12 has seemed to be stagnant in progress lately, hope it picks up.

Oh hey, hey look, a new seriously-talented mapper to make feel as if my skills are inadequate.

BRB, going to go suck my thumb in the fetal position.

MegaDoomer said:

But - the skin, etc. wads that need to be loaded with it, what do they contain in terms of affecting gameplay/looks/weapons/monsters (other than 2x damage)?

they contain just different player sprites and induce no gameplay changes. those come from server DMflag settings. the 2x monster damage has become a staple for the simple reason to kill off more players. :) with 10-20 guys crushing the opposition instantly, the monsters also need to be a threat. there's also item respawn, because it's not fun to run around with just fists and the "consumption" is far too high.

Snakes said:

Oh hey, hey look, a new seriously-talented mapper to make feel as if my skills are inadequate.

BRB, going to go suck my thumb in the fetal position.

Don't worry dude, I'm pretty sure this is Essel or one of the other ultra-talented mappers using an alternate username. I just played through the 11-map demo and it's painfully obvious that this dude's been mapping for years.

Vordakk said:

Don't worry dude, I'm pretty sure this is Essel or one of the other ultra-talented mappers using an alternate username. I just played through the 11-map demo and it's painfully obvious that this dude's been mapping for years.

Careful please...I do not believe this to be the case and it could hurt the author's feelings.

Map12 already seems to be taking a while for him to finish, please don't say anything that might be discouraging.

Not trying to control what you say, and I certainly have nothing against you - but IMO that's not a very considerate remark to make.

Since this is going to get played on Thursday - Here is another update to the first eleven maps to fix some of the issues all the helpful people have been nice enough to point out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?92s6l4hdp37gjm4

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Vordakk said:

I have been mapping for about three months and a half months now. The Focus remake was the first map I ever made, with the E1M4 copy being the first thing I ever did as a mapper.