Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The_MártonJános

Textures "patched apart" (Advice needed)

In order to reduce the level of redundance in my upcoming project, I would ask you a question: does it work if I make new textures out of patches which are in the Doom IWAD, but not in the project's PWAD? I mean, does any "referencial system" work within the IWAD signed as a resource as you run it with a port? OR are the originally defined patches needed to be in the PWAD as well, otherwise it wouldn't work?

So, take a simple example:

I have the borders of the texture COMPTILE as a transparent texture and so, I put them around all the TEKWALL* textures previously defined in the Ultimate Doom IWAD. I moved all three patches (since only TEKWALL4 is done individually by an unique 128x128 patch) into the PWAD and then patched the textures using 1 or 2 of all TEKWALL patches and 2-2 of both borders around it, resulting in a new texture a bit reminding of COMPTILE itself. Then I removed the TEKWALL patches from the PWAD.

So, you say that ingame they would still show up as long as I run the PWAD with the UD IWAD?

Yep. As long as all the patches used are present -- either in the IWAD or in any of the loaded PWADs -- it's fine.