Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Shootable switch for remote doors possible (vanilla)?

This is for a vanilla DooM map. I have a switch a point A and a door at point B. I want to be able to open the door by shooting the switch.

As activating a remote door with a shootable switch does not seem to be supported in vanilla DooM, I tried the following hack:

1. I constructed the door at point B.
    2. I constructed a door at point A with the same attributes as the one at Point B.
    3. I gave door A the same sector reference as door B (in this case, sector number 499).
    4. I set up a shootable switch on door A to open local door.
When the switch is shot, numerous other sectors (many of which are untagged) behave like doors and are raised. This, of course, completely messes up the map, blocking off areas and making them inaccessible. Naturally, there's plenty of HOM too, but this is the least of my concerns. [Incidentally, using a source port such as (G)ZDooM does not create these problems.]

I have also tried putting door A into a recessed section of the wall and putting a regular sector as a "buffer" between the door and the rest of the map. (I tried this so that if door A is screwing up adjacent sectors, all it'll do is mess up the buffer sector.) It didn't fix the problem.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Right now, I'd like to retain my map configuration (i.e., shootable switch at A, door that needs to be opened at B), but I may reconsider if no solutions present themselves.

EDIT: I may try a couple of things - giving the doors a tag ID, and/or creating door A first, and then door B. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try these out.

Did you tag the sectors the G1 line is suppose to activate?

Shootable switches, like normal switches, always require tagging in Vanilla Doom.

eternal slumber said:

Come on ReX, you're just screwing with us aren't you. :)

Map32 in the original release of the Newdoom Community Project had a type 46 GR shootable door that wasn't tagged. I think this is something ReX has misunderstood for years...

ReX, by the way, did you know, in wicked_9, instead of tagging sectors 323-325, you tagged the linedefs surrounding them..?

Vermil said:

Did you tag the sectors the G1 line is suppose to activate?

Shootable switches, like normal switches, always require tagging in Vanilla Doom.

Indeed, that did the trick. Thanks. [I had intended to try tagging the sector, but your post reinforced the idea.]

eternal slumber said:

Come on ReX, you're just screwing with us aren't you. :)

Genuine mistake. Honest. [An old dog can, in fact, be taught new tricks.]

RjY said:

Map32 in the original release of the Newdoom Community Project had a type 46 GR shootable door that wasn't tagged. I think this is something ReX has misunderstood for years...

I agree. This was a problem I had in Phobos Revisited too, until someone pointed it out in The Newstuff Chronicles. Of course, as that was more than 9 years ago, I had forgotten about the problem and the solution.

ReX, by the way, did you know, in wicked_9, instead of tagging sectors 323-325, you tagged the linedefs surrounding them..?

I didn't realize that. I'm on travel right now, and don't have the wad, but I'll look into it when I get back. Enjay had pointed out another issue - there is no teleport destination thing for Skills 1/2 near the start, where specters are supposed to ambush the player. I'll upload a fixed version to include the improper tagging.

Many thanks to all.