Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The console versions of Rage also suffer from horrid problems!

People have been RAGING (get it?) over all of the technical issues that the PC version suffers from, and after hearing and seeing it I decided to get the game for the PS3 instead since I believed that the problems in the PC version were probably just the result of Id fucking up and making a console game with a poor PC port. After having played the PS3 version of the game for about 1 hour now however, I don't think this is the case.

I was stunned when I saw it, but it appears that the PS3 version also suffers from horrible texture pop in and after doing some googling it appears that the Xbox 360 version (which I hear comes on 3 whole discs) also suffers from those problems.

Technically the problem isn't anywhere near as nightmarish on the PS3 as it is on the PC for some people, but it is still bad enough to be easily noticeable and a constant immersion breaker:

In addition to that, the controls are also rather bad. Rage appears to be one of those shooters were using the analog sticks to aim feels difficult and awkward because there is no real "smoothness" in the way aiming works.

The PC gaming master race can now officially calm the fuck down, Rage is not a bad PC port. Its just a badly designed game.

I consider myself a die hard Id Software fan, but I can't help but feel a little bit angry over this cluster fuck.

Thoughts?

I've put 26 hours into the PS3 version. the 'horrible' texture pop-up is present but only distracts if you're a pedant and hung up on that kind of crap. Doesn't effect immersion at all, I was too busy having fun, especially in fast action. The framerate is solid and I haven't experienced any problems/crashes. Given the small video memory on the consoles I'm surprised it looks as good as it does. In short, shut-up already.

Edit: Also I have no idea what you're talking about for the controls. No smoothness to aiming? Wtf does that even mean? The high speed of the game plus the framerate makes the aiming control better than any shooter I've played on the PS3. You haven't even played this version, stop parroting what some retard you found on google says.

Tho I haven't played it yet, I've watched my bro play it on his PS3 and like Use3D said, texture pop-in doesn't seem to be all that much of a issue at all. He seems to be having fun with the game and hasn't bitched about it. Personally I'll wait to get the game later on for the PC when I see it on sale. Right now I have a dozen games I have to play on here.

The pop-in shown in the video is noticeable but not horrible, by any means. I have heard the Xbox 360 version can be extremely bad if you do not install to the hard-drive and due to the fact it comes on 2 discs (the 3rd disc is for MP), you need to manually uninstall the first disc when you are done with it and install the 2nd disc.

I have already voiced my issues with Rage in the other thread. My opinion is simply that Rage is not a very good game. I do not find id Tech 5 to be all that special as demonstrated by Rage, nor do I believe it holds up in terms of visuals or actual content considering the massive amount of data (22 GB) that it requires. MMORPG's do not even require that much hard-drive space (at least, I know World of Warcraft didn't). People can defend the game on the basis of how fun it can be (specifically in regard to the shooting itself) which is fair because it can be very fun but there are dozens of games with similar or even better FPS action and unfortunately, everything else is so poorly realized or done in such a way that it mostly just gets in the way.

If anyone needs more reasons to question the integrity of id Software or Rage, I noticed on the back of the PC Rage box it proclaims the game is "enhanced for" DirectX 10 and Windows 64-bit OS. Rather interesting since Rage doesn't use DirectX at all from what I understand and the 64-bit executable has yet to even be released. Some nice false advertising going on there.

I still haven't played it, but I did ask for it on PS3 for my birthday in a month and a half. I've heard the console versions aren't nearly as bad as the PC. Also:

I don't think this is a "bug" - it's the way it's intentionally designed to work. It's a workaround for the console's extremely limited RAM. Compared to say, BioShock PS3, the pop-in on the original video is extremely mild. Carmack evidently thought this was a good trade-off in order to achieve a high framerate and to avoid tiled textures.

You can certainly disagree with their decisions, but I'm pretty sure that video does not show anything unexpected from id's point of view.

I think the difference here is that most games (like Borderlands and Bioshock) has texture pop-in when the level first loads. Rage does it every single time you turn around.

I noticed that he had the textures pop in after turning again. This was an issue with Rage on PC that I had at first. Though it was a mild issue for me, as my computer loaded them so fast that I hardly had time to notice it.

But it's possible that this is just because the PS3 got shit ram and can't keep the textures in the cache. But I dunno. Don't really care either. PS3 is an old system that for me personally holds no interest.

If you care about graphics, don't play games on consoles.

yukib1t said:

I still haven't played it, but I did ask for it on PS3 for my birthday in a month and a half. I've heard the console versions aren't nearly as bad as the PC. Also:

http://i.imgur.com/ZwReTl.jpg

What did you expect really? A game where every surface got a unique texture. That is a shitload of texture data. Even with some 20 gb of texture data that is not going to be a perfectly sharp texture. Especially in a game like rage that got rather expansive areas to texture.

Also, the PC version works just fine. For most people anyway. Some people say they still got issues. Maybe that is more about their own computers then than the game.

Wagi said:

I think the difference here is that most games (like Borderlands and Bioshock) has texture pop-in when the level first loads. Rage does it every single time you turn around.

Bioshock on the PS3 certainly does not only have it only when you first load the level, and the FPS is nowhere near a constant 60 (it's not the greatest port, to put it mildly).

Anyway, I'm not arguing that it isn't annoying, although clearly it depends on the person. I would probably be bothered by it, but I don't care that much since Rage doesn't look interesting to me. I'm saying that it was a conscious decision on id's part to prioritize the solid 60fps and unique detail over "texture stability" or however you want to phrase it.

hardcore_gamer said:

I was stunned when I saw it, but it appears that the PS3 version also suffers from horrible texture pop in

*video*

Wait, I get the idea you only noticed it after you watched some youtube video someone else made highlighting the effect? Clearly it's not so bad that it affected the immersion for you to begin with. And the texture pop-in was/is far worse on the PC, depending on if the patch fixed certain things for you.

kristus said:

Also, the PC version works just fine. For most people anyway. Some people say they still got issues. Maybe that is more about their own computers then than the game.

A friend has a fairly muscley system and he still suffers from texture problems and frequent crashes, as I understand. It's got crap to do with people's computers being inadequate so you needn't play that card.

Use3D said:

I've put 26 hours into the PS3 version. the 'horrible' texture pop-up is present but only distracts if you're a pedant and hung up on that kind of crap. Doesn't effect immersion at all

If you don't care about the texture pop-in then good for you, but I for one find it constantly annoying to see textures pop in every time I make a sudden turn, it prevents me from being able to immerse myself into the game.

Use3D said:

In short, shut-up already.

In short, don't tell people what to do.

Use3D said:

You haven't even played this version, stop parroting what some retard you found on google says.

And don't accuse people of lies simply because you disagree with them.

DoomUK said:

Wait, I get the idea you only noticed it after you watched some youtube video someone else made highlighting the effect?

No, I only posted the video to give an example of the texture pop-in.

hardcore_gamer said:

Guess what? I didn't even see it much when you were trying to "point it out". You wanna know how I know all of the nitpickers are nitpicking?

The difference is, console games have had pop-in for a while. I don't remember when it started but the games/engines I do remember featuring it date back to at least 2008. (Gears of War 2 is the first I remember seeing it in.) On console, there's the excuse of hardware that wasn't exactly top-of-the-line even back in 05/06, whereas most anyone gaming on PCs is going to be on better hardware.

The textures look less detailed at first glance, and after about a second or two, adjust to be more gritty and stuff. I had to see like three examples before I understood whatever the fuck the guy was talking about.

These days people who play games try to spend as little time playing the game as they do sit in front of the screen with the game on.

Fortunately I don't seem to suffer from that same kind of OCD and just go ahead enjoying the level design and gameplay without making threads about why I can't seem to make sense out of dead bodies in doom always facing me from any angle.

40oz said:
The textures look less detailed at first glance, and after about a second or two, adjust to be more gritty and stuff. I had to see like three examples before I understood whatever the fuck the guy was talking about.

So like when the road sign briefly looks like a progressive JPEG being loaded over dialup, then? :-)

(I didn't know what everyone was talking about until I saw the gameplay footage -- I expected textures outright disappearing or being replaced by funky colours, or something. I'm not sure I'd even notice this during regular gameplay...)

I put seventeen and a half hours in my first run of PS3 RAGE on normal and I'm ten hours into my go at it on hard (trophy hunting. I should've just done nightmare, hard is pretty easy). I haven't noticed any problems with the graphics; they look good, run smooth and if there's pop up I haven't noticed it. The invisible walls kind of suck though.

I did have one bandit in the wasted garage have a rag doll spasm attack after I killed him. Odd thing was on my second go through another one in the same spot (presumably the same one) did it again. Also, I got in the Cuprino at one point and it launched itself several stories in the air, spun around, came crashing down and launched up in the air again, spun, crashed and was just fine. Weird.

Other than those three minor quirks, the PS3 version runs just fine to me. Quit being a pansy.

CODOR said:

So like when the road sign briefly looks like a progressive JPEG being loaded over dialup, then? :-)

(I didn't know what everyone was talking about until I saw the gameplay footage -- I expected textures outright disappearing or being replaced by funky colours, or something. I'm not sure I'd even notice this during regular gameplay...)

such a thing happens when loading 20 GB of textures. Would you rather have high-detail repeating textures or moderate-detailed unique textures for every surface? The only way to get high-quality unique textures is through procedural texture-mapping, and i bet id will be the first to put it in a game.

High detail repeating, of course. It's the level designer's responsibility to make them not look monotonous. Even if they were monotonous, the pop-in shown on that video would ruin my immersion much more quickly than the fact that the ground's texture is repeating every 1024 units.

dutch devil said:

@Hardcore_Gamer Why are you always so negative about everything. Games aren't perfect, enjoy what you have.

People that would find a flaw in the Smithsonian crystal ball simply can't be reasoned with.

Xeros612 said:

The difference is, console games have had pop-in for a while. I don't remember when it started but the games/engines I do remember featuring it date back to at least 2008. (Gears of War 2 is the first I remember seeing it in.) On console, there's the excuse of hardware that wasn't exactly top-of-the-line even back in 05/06, whereas most anyone gaming on PCs is going to be on better hardware.

Ohhhhh yeah baby.

I went to play this video game but the graphics weren't at all realistic. When you walk up to walls it's just all squares and shit. I mean seriously, how could anyone play this:

I am too hardcore to play games for the gameplay and enjoy them for what they are, they have to remind me of walking down the street. Hardcore underscore gaming 4 lyf.

hardcore_gamer said:

In short, don't tell people what to do.

hardcore_gamer said:

So this whole thread was just a kindness on your part to enlighten everyone of how bad Rage is on console, and couldn't possibly be to dissuade anyone from purchasing the game. Sure thing asshole.

Looks hella better than the horrific LOD pop-in you get in all of Bethesda's games. Nothing like walking along and seeing one tree morphing into another tree, three more disappearing, a hole under a rock disappearing and some hills lowering all at the same time.

Use3D said:

So this whole thread was just a kindness on your part to enlighten everyone of how bad Rage is on console, and couldn't possibly be to dissuade anyone from purchasing the game. Sure thing asshole.

Seems a bit harsh. He's entitled to his opinion just as you are. Texture pop-in in RAGE is a fact. Whether or not it affects immersion for a specific player will vary from person to person. Some of us are used to modern games not behaving that way. None of the games I own have texture pop-in, other than when the level first loads, so it's possible that this behavior would break immersion for me. It's informative when someone shows me ahead of time that RAGE has texture pop-in. Having said that, I'm not gonna let pop-in alone dissuade me from getting the game. I'll most likely play some of it first and decide whether or not I like it.

After watching that video, I'm immediately reminded of how stupid some modern day "gamers" are. At most moments, the pop-ins were so subtle that I didn't even notice them without really focusing. The zoom-in on the road sign really topped it off for me... Seriously? I'm reminded of cracked.com's article about the gaming community in the worst way.

It reminds me of people who say that Doom looks like shit, or to give a non-id example, don't play GoldenEye anymore. Not because they don't enjoy it! Heavens no. The graphics have just aged like shit and the players look blocky.

Well, you know what? Biiiiiiig deal. Bitch all you want about aged graphics and minor texture pop-ins. I'll be busy enjoy what should really count... Y'know, the game's content. Is it just me, or did no one give a shit until the sixth-generation consoles?

Yeah, while I would not call the pop-in demonstrated by the video example "horrid," everyone will have different opinions. Personally, I did find many of the texture issues immersion-breaking on the PC. Everyone will have their own opinion and they're certainly entitled to it. Hardcore_gamer dropped his $60 and he finds it irritating (as do many other people).

I've already listed a bunch of issues that have either been ignored or people don't seem to care about and many others can't even get the game to fucking run still, but whatever. To each their own. People can keep commenting on how the shooting is mostly fun and fooling themselves with how everything else is mediocre (or even boring) at best.

Comparison to Doom would be fine except, well... you know, Doom is almost 20 fucking years old and it still somehow manages to be more immersive and have a better story-line.

Sig-ma said:

Comparison to Doom would be fine except, well... you know, Doom is almost 20 fucking years old and it still somehow manages to be more immersive and have a better story-line.

Ha!

Hahaha!

I find myself far more immersed in the world of Rage than the world of Doom. It's also more engaging to me than Borderlands, a game it is often compared to, and which I have played quite a bit. Now, immersion as it relates to action, I'll agree that Doom's action is pretty immersive. But Rage's gunplay is phenomenal to me.

I love Rage. And I understand why other people don't. I've seen no end to people suffering to get the game running. And many things, like the driving, or the barebones npcs / missions, crafting, don't appeal to those who bought an id shooter. But the whole package appeals to me, and it played more or less just fine on my computer on release and continues to.

If I were to slag Rage for anything, first would be the invisible boundaries. The opening mission has you leap over some junk on the ground, but I haven't seen much if any jumping since. I feel that you have more freedom of movement in the vehicle. Second, more dialogue from npcs. If they had some people sit in a room and bullshit up gossip and slap it in text windows, doesn't even need to be voice acted, I'd prefer it to the current blank stares I get from npcs who have more or less exhausted their dialogue options.

And that's all, really. My machine is pretty out of date but Rage runs great with pretty much little or no pop-in, and none of the graphical glitches usually mentioned. I did see that ragdoll thing in the same place, interestingly. Rage owns. Sorry you guys aren't enjoying it, but I could only be slightly happier.