Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vordakk

Vanilla DOOM help

I think there are quite a few of us on this forum who are interested in Vanilla DOOM mapping. However, some of the more experienced members know quite a bit more than others, due to years spent mapping and studying Vanilla behavior, coupled with trial and error. Some of us, myself included, just got into mapping rather recently and while we are capable of creating maps, we haven't a clue how to make them compatible with one of the original .exe files.

I think it might be cool if some of the senior members with a lot of Vanilla mapping experience (eg. Esselfortium, Tango, 40oz, Valkiriforce, etc.) could come together and make a stickied thread here in "DOOM Editing" which details some of the common mistakes people make when going from "OMG I just downloaded DOOM Builder!!1!1!" to "Now I want to make a vanilla-compatible level." Obviously, if a thread that contains this information already exists, then I apologize and would appreciate if someone could point me to it.

For instance, I keep hearing about "not using a multi-patch texture as a midtexture", "visplane overflows", "tutti-fruiti", "having too many things in a map", "testing in chocolate DOOM", and on and on. But I haven't yet found one central location where it's all laid out in a clear, easy-to-digest presentation.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

This thread is the closest I can recall that's relevant to the topic of vanilla mapping. More specifically, Quasar's post on the first page explains some of the limits you're likely to run into. I'm skeptical that a forum thread can lend itself well to "easy-to-digest" presentation of this sort of info, but it might be worthwile to centralize all the same.

Mithran Denizen said:

This thread is the closest I can recall that's relevant to the topic of vanilla mapping. More specifically, Quasar's post on the first page explains some of the limits you're likely to run into. I'm skeptical that a forum thread can lend itself well to "easy-to-digest" presentation of this sort of info, but it might be worthwile to centralize all the same.

That is actually very helpful, thanks!

This is a great source of information.

http://doom-afterburn.de/doc/wfaq/docs/dmspec16.txt

Wadster Wad Basics and The Wadster's Guide were very helpful in the early days. Not sure if any of that info is still around though. might take a through websearch to come up with it. 404 on those old links on my system now.

"Handbook 21" was a good source if it can be found these days as well.
The Unofficial WAD Designers' Handbook, Release 2.1
by Ron Allen & Bill McClendon
Copyright 1996, 1998. All rights reserved.

Published on the Web on March 5, 1998
Final update for this release on March 16, 1998
Word97 and text version files released March 20, 1998

Searcher said:

Wadster Wad Basics and The Wadster's Guide were very helpful in the early days. Not sure if any of that info is still around though.

Wayback Machine

"Handbook 21" was a good source if it can be found these days as well.

idgames archive