Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are there any good Hexen WADs out there? I know there's been a sprinkling of Heretic WADs as of late, but nothing really for Hexen (unless I'm mistaken.) Does anyone have recommendations (no deathmatch-only WADs, please, as I don't play those)? And, just out of curiosity, which characer does everyone like to play Hexen with? The Fighter, the Cleric, or the Mage? (I like the Mage myself).

Thanks!

I think there have been a few cool Hexen mods for the ZDoom port, such as Ultimate Doomer's Serpent: Resurrection or CodenniumRed's Necrosis mod. Last but not least, LilWhiteMouse's Wolfen.

Don't worry that they're for ZDoom. It is only natural that a Hexen mod be enhanced with ZDoom, considering that much of ZDoom's level design architecture has been inspired/based on Hexen's.

Starship

And, I think there's way too much ZDoom stuff. Limit removing (port-agnostic) should be sufficient in many cases. Even vanilla Hexen provides many enhancements over the Doom engine.

I think you'll find there's a lot more vanilla wads than there are ZDoom wads...one trip to the archives will tell you that most of them are mid-late 90's (including at least 13 hubs). In fact the only ZDoom wad I know of that's not on Gez's list is Fury.

Not a hub, but Resurrection of Chaos is a MUST HAVE.

Scourge of Viscerus and Wolfen are probably the best single hubs.

Carnage Galore III has a reasonable amount of playable content but is still a WIP. Also I got absolutely stuck on the (I think) fifth level of the first hub, in an earlier JDoom play. Shame, it was good until there.

Serpent Resurrection is by far the biggest Hexen adventure out there, but it's not for everyone. However, if it happens to be your thing you should really like it.