Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-11 - It's done! Download inside

GODDAMN, IT'S A MAP

Name : "Rotary Supercollider"
Age : 'bout 10 or so hours 'cause the author is doggamn slow.
Music : Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)
On time : Yes.
Circles : Hell yes.

OMG finished just in time.

http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-11/mek-layout3-done.wad

I don't have a name yet. Gimme a few more minutes. Seriously just finished this. Haven't tested it yet.

*edit*

Name : Clay Pig 2: Gordo's Revenge
Music : This for now, I guess. I don't have the credits offhand.
Insanely retarded in-joke for map name: Yup

There are a bunch of bugs that'll need to be fixed. Should I just wait until next week's testing is done before fixing anything? (You can grab the Soulsphere from the lower ledge...derps)

Tango said:

take 30 minutes right now and make an ugly looking layout, no joke

http://www.mediafire.com/?12briixkskdn5bw

Best I can do in half hour, now I'm off to work. Y'all can disregard pretty much all of it, just wanted to put in the idea of a Conveyor Belt Carnage. Probably needs to be enlargened a bit more and add in some non-symmetrical areas for some more flow. Blah.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30895293/WelDie03.wad
Balance stuff, missed a texture in a corner.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30895306/GrayP01a.wad
You can rocketjump onto the barrier, made barrier impassible so as to prevent this.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30895330/EAHQ02.wad
BFG trap less exploitable
All lava pits are damaging
Fixed Texture inconsistencies

gg everybody. had a lot of fun, wish I had more time. I fucking love megawads out of nowhere. Can't wait for 32in24-12! Who's in charge of compiling the whole thing?

Good job on filling the map quota lads! Looking forwards to seeing how it all comes together now.

Phobus said:

Good job on filling the map quota lads! Looking forwards to seeing how it all comes together now.

i thought you went to bed like 3 hours ago

ok, organic system recharged.

phobus:
oh wow, the yellow... well, it's all about exprimenting, eh?
- if you plan to keep the two BAs and a soulsphere all around the same spot, you might as well equal their strength on the weapon side too and put a BFG down into the pit. :P that place is fairly "trap"-like as one can stay down there and camp or climb up the stairs, but immediatelly sweeping the map is not possible. that's a good spot for the big gun and the RL seems rather weak there. you know, climbing the stairs without freelook means the RL is all kinds of useless. :)
- the spawns are in little booths, which means there's only one way for the freshly spawned players to go, which enhances their vulnerability to spawnrape - the weapon is in front of the booth, so they are defenceless in the first second, too. could you move the spawns in front of the booths?

edward:
your design is insanely vertical, so you should focus on that and don't get too experimental with weapon placement.
- again, pistol spawns are not cool unless you really plan them as the central idea of your map. move the SGs and CGs under the spawn points!
- put some SSGs in the tech maze and the base slime level. in the end, FFA is 80% about SSG action and people will want it.
- keep just the one RL, or at least don't put any RLs on the upper levels, because infinitely tall explosions would be a total bitch here, ha.
- the tall lift should be faster, it's booooring. :)
- this little ledge caught my eye. it's VERY awkward to stay on it, but it's possible to walk it - use that! make a small platform where the ledge ends at the wall, possibly at half the height, so the player has to jump down carefully, and put a big goodie there. it could easily be the BFG - the player went through hell to get it, he earned a couple of rape frags. oh and he's standing on nukage when he drops down, so it's not like he will live that long... :) a different goodie like a blue armor or a soulsphere would work too, but BFGs are the x factor in DM!

tgh:
SSG-based map from TGH? pinch me, i'm still dreaming! seems like the map has good flow, it should play like a map from gw or onsl or other classic ffa wads.
some of the spawn holes are too deep though. it means the player spawning in them has to go forward before he can start strafing and dodging and playing. so while he's protected from fire in the other directions, he's a sitting duck from the front. the ice cave spawns avoid this a little by being curved slightly, spawns thing 17 and 30 have it bad though. you could simplify the situation by moving the spawns over the SSGs (NOT moving the SSGs back into the holes!), that way more movement freedom is achieved.
by the way, why is the ledge in front of the grate linedef 763 impassible? i thought it'd be cool to jump on it with jumping enabled, just because it's there like that. :)

mithran denizen:
i will use you as an example to rant about FFA/DM a bit, okay? :)

you made a pretty map, however the concept shows the lack of experience with DM designs. you went for an arena, but there's actually not enough connectivity - tall walls, stairs and drops everywhere mean people are navigating through linear routes instead of roaming the map freely. also the item placement is rather naive... a megasphere is insanely strong in DM. when it's used, it should be the centerpiece of the map, in a very vulnerable position and the others should have means to defend themselves. yes, this map has BFG, good... but you just placed the other weapons around the map, so someone spawns close to the BFG, but someone gets the CG. chaingun against BFG dudes and megasphere-powered juggernauts.

i'm not trying to ridicule you, just illustrating where you went wrong. in ffa (unlike 1on1 too, mind you!), your survival isn't your primary task - killing other dudes is. you will often rush into a sucidial position if it means 3 frags at once or just killing yet another guy with your last 5% health. then you want to die quickly, because optimally you just spent the last bits of your heavy weapons ammo and respawn somewhere else and start again to reach the fraglimit sooner than your opponent. you don't think about falling back to heal yourself with the megasphere, not when it's so improbable you'll get to it (or it will respawn for you... ffa is usually played with item respawn on a 30s timer).

so basically you shouldn't place so many insane player boosts. soulsphere is good, because it's a simple 100% health boost. when you get damaged enough, the bonus is gone. blue armor or the megasphere are much, much nastier, because they allow you to HEAL by collecting medkits while enjoying the 50% damage reduction. players with these are extremely durable unless someone catches them with a full hit - and that's much harder to do than two-shotting a cybie due to the mad pace of the game. so the deal usually is: don't bother "protecting" the player, just give him arsenal, because frags > deaths.

back to your map:
basically, the layout should use more connective points. this could perhaps be achieved with stairs, lifts and teleports, but i'll focus on just item placement. i'd give everyone a SSG right on spawn. i'd get rid of the megasphere and maybe put a soulsphere or BA there. i'd place more RLs somewhere around and maybe even a second BFG at the other side of the map. you WANT crazy bloodshed and the big bonuses you provided should be fought over heavily, not dominated by the lucky guy. this way your map will still be odd and not "ffa mainstream", but in an unpredictable and interesting way. i hope. anyways, don't get discouraged by my harping and try again next time, i was bound to unload on someone sooner or later. :)

dew said:

mithran denizen:
i will use you as an example to rant about FFA/DM a bit, okay? :)

you made a pretty map, however the concept shows the lack of experience with DM designs. you went for an arena, but there's actually not enough connectivity - tall walls, stairs and drops everywhere mean people are navigating through linear routes instead of roaming the map freely.

i feel as though you're also directing this at me?

no, not really... i haven't seen your map yet. just ranting about principles. :)

krispavera:
uh-oh. this looks like a totally classic ffa map and it nearly works like one, except you went too far with a few ideas that tear any possible balance apart. i'm talking about obtaining the bfg, look:

spawn near the middle -> go grab the blue armor -> press linedef 353, get ssg -> press linedef 349, get soulsphere -> press linedef 443 from below, without riding the elevator (yay doom bugs!), teleport to the bfg. all this can be done in like two seconds and i'm at 200/200 in a safe camp spot with full ssg and bfg. what next?
a) camp bfg room forever, because there's very little chance anyone could ever kill me in the bfg room, not when he's frozen after teleporting and i wait for fools like him with my ssg ready.
b) collect bfg and go rape everyone with my full stack. i mean, this is probably played on NM skill, so picking bfg = 200 cells. every charge around it = another 40 cells. i probably don't even have backpack, so i'll max out at 300, but i'll get one (and another 40 cells with it) immediatelly after teleporting. and there are cell caches around the map, so i'll just head towards them blasting bfg. i am the terminator.

let's simplify and unbreak this unfortunate setup:
get rid of the bfg room, it's an unnecessary campspot. put the bfg on the soulsphere lift. get rid of the blue armor (too powerful, too close to powerful weaponry) and put the soulsphere there (a simpler bonus). put two green armors to southwestern and southeastern corners of the map, so more people can access goodies. furthermore get rid of ALL backpacks, they support terrorism in maps with BFG/tons of cell ammo. just medikits in their spots will do. :)

furthermore there are the RL/plasma platforms. if i understand this correctly, the player who activates the WR lines can't make it in time to them, so basically he's giving weapons to other people. and this is the only way how to get them. so why should i ever want to trigger the lines when only my opponents will benefit? plus the placement supports even more centrism - everyone wants to be there and there only. the map could use spreading out the interest zones, so i suggest:
get rid of the whole WR/lift mechanism. those plaftorms aren't necessary at all. instead, put RL and plasma where the chainguns are (things 55 and 57). that way these weapons will see more usage and will even counterbalance the BFG whorage. also probably get rid of all the cell charges (things 85-90), they just attract the spammers. health packs will do. :)

i suspect that this stuff will shift the map towards greenwar e3/r-mega like gameplay and that'd be pretty cool, but it's your call ultimately.

doubleposting to separate feedback for other maps from krispavera's where i went into rant mode again. :P

malinku:
simple and potentially sweet. people will just hitscan each other happily in an arena like this and it's not too simple with the amorphic shape. this massive texture bleeding might need fixing though.

pottus:
bump the light levels like crazy, people will hate this if it stays dark. why build atmosphere when no one's going to play it. :) also it's a symmetric arena, so get rid of the pistol spawns or hitscan weapon placement in the center... simply give every spawn a ssg and let 'em frag without delay. it might be worth it to counter-balance the bfg side with a similar structure for, say, a blue armor on the other side.

rott's maps play good even when he maps by pooping on the keyboard. <3

whoo:
i believe this revision would play much, much better. thanks for showing me how to get the bfg! now that i know it's a playable weapon, you should get rid of all the cellcharges around the plasmagun. DM on nightmare skill: 200 cells for bfg + 200 cells for plasma + 40 cells for each charge = 560 cells, that's potentially 14 bfg shots! i think 10 for just bfg+plasma could be enough. :)
oh and one of the hanging bodies (thing 63?) is blocking.

skillsaw:
dude, you're a natural. you might have gone a little off the mark in the first, but this already looks very DM-ish. just get rid of the blue armor, that's way too generous considering all the health packs everywhere. move the GA over there, players going for the lift SSG don't need to be pampered with additional protection, hehe.

majik:
@ your 2nd map: hah, okay. a simple mazeish ssg fight, could be. just... why the overlapping items and rather pointless backpacks? the elevator could be a fast one, or even instant. the colour scheme punched me in the eyes, cause i use hyper-amped gamma in zdaemon, haha.

Tango said:

i thought you went to bed like 3 hours ago

At the time of writing I'd had 6 hours sleep AND been up for an hour :P

Thanks for the feedback on that shit heap of a map I threw out there as my second submission! I'd ignore the visuals for the most part - most of the map is still a bare bones layout with the theme implemented at a basic level. I am aiming to make it pretty orange when it's done, but not that bad! I'll take your gameplay suggestions into account when I'm next working on the map (presumably on Sunday?)

Is there any other gameplay stuff I should bear in mind at this early stage, or should i wait and see what proper testing throws up?

@dew: Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that the bfg was overkill when i put it in, so I'll most certainly deal with that. As for the rocket/plasma platforms, I agree with you on that point as well. It was a rushed idea that I threw together haphazardly which in hindsight doesn't make any sense at all!

Anyways, from your feedback it sounds like this map can be salvaged with some work and I'll get on that right away.

dew said:

[lots of helpful stuff]

Thanks for the critique dew, as an admitted DM design noob I appreciate the attention. Item placement in my map was more or less done by me randomly dropping shit everywhere in the last ten minutes, so it's not exactly a surprise that it's horribly unbalanced. I see what you mean about the layout as well, and I think I must've been thinking more in "1vs1" terms when I was tossing it all together, since that's the style of DM that I'm most familiar with. Hopefully I can iron out the issues you mentioned and open some more routes to make it flow better for 8 player DM, getting a map that's actually playable as a result. :)

dew said:

walter:
holy crap, dude... that's a weird concept. the shooting switch secret is pretty hilarious, but i have to wonder how this will actually play. it's huge and mostly cavernish, then it changes into super-cramped halls and doorways serving as chokepoints... interesting experiment, but i'm not sure how functional.

Thanks for the suggestion bro... TGH, add my map in the over-32 section of the megawad (since i read there's more of 32 levels here...)

Just a question: there's some slot open on community chest 4? Since i like this experiment map (hell and earth melting each other...) and i think if this doesn't work for 32in24, well i just thinking to expand this concept map in SP....

whatever, from what i've seen in other maps this looks something frakin awesome!

In CC4, there are no such things as "full map slots." Any number of people can sign up for the same episode, and if they finish their level and submit it, it's in as long as it's not a jokewad. That said, you might want to do it fast, because there are only a few remaining spaces for finished maps left in each episode.

In any case, 32in24-11's compilation is almost done. It'll be posted in this thread when it is, of course.

processingcontrol:
okay, i have to admit. when i saw the invulnerability, i called it a break and went outside. :) i believe there might be a scenario where an invul can be a fun gimmick to build a ffa map around, but i've yet to see one. there is a BFG in the map and plenty of cells... the guy will be completely unkillable for 30 seconds, where do you think he will go and what will he do with it? :)
ok, the layout is a city/warehouse map. that's cool, a lot of dwango or cybercrime stuff is like that. however the inside areas are dark, that needs to be fixed. it's okay to make inside areas just a tad darker than the outside, but it still needs to be quite bright. well, it doesn't, but there's a strong correlation between dark and unpopular maps. :p other than that, just make sectors 267 and 282 inacessible through impassibles (jumping in advanced ports) and that's it. a fairly decent, standard citiesque design.
the item placement, i won't dance around it, is awkward. the invul is map-breaking and invis spheres are also controversial, to say it nicely. they can be nasty even in bright maps, so with dark areas and BFG, you just recreated predator 2. now an invis can work in such a map, but it should be the gimmick of the map, not a common tool. so how about placing one invis instead of the invul and just removing the rest? the megas should also go. literally... every mega should be a soulsphere, every soulsphere should be just a berserk or a bunch of medkits, maybe there can be a blue armor instead of one of the invis spheres. as i said before, players shouldn't be unstoppable juggernauts, ffa involves dying, repeatedly. also i'd probably give every spawn a SSG, so freshly respawned players can face the BFG fury of dominant players... and definitely get rid of all cell ammo that isn't plasmaguns. :) just grabbing the BFG means 5 shots and there are plasmas around to get another 5, more BFG spam shouldn't be encouraged.
sorry if it sounds like i'm ripping you a new one, you just amassed a number of typical sp-mapper errors.

olympus:
holy shit, i think this is true gold. the only nitpick i can think of is adding some rockets on the opposing side of the map than the RL is, otherwise i really like what i see. this might also work as a decent 1on1 map. good job!

After a delay caused by my school day, here is the compiled alpha of 32in24-11! Note that the TITLEPIC, INTERPIC, the subtitle (on the TITLEPIC,) and the music for MAP33/41/43/44 are all temporary. In addition, the map order, with a few exceptions, is based on submission order. A few maps were clearly meant to have a specific sky texture, and these are marked as such in the text file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/32in24-11_alpha.zip

All in all, we amassed no less than 45 maps in 24 hours. Well done.

Spoiler

You know what this means, Bucket: Pay up. ;)

EDIT (4:19 PM PDT): Hotfixed to correct a bug in the MAPINFO where MAP44 would exit to MAP43. Also, while I'm at it, I should note that MAP14 and MAP27 only have a player start in them, so they are currently unplayable for multiplayer. You can run around inside of them in single-player though.