Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambosee

Quake I vs Quake II

Quake 2 for me. Quake always felt a bit incomplete or semi-implemented to me. I've had more mileage out of Q2.

printz said:

The hyperblaster and bfg10k are exactly like the plasma rifle and bfg9000 of Doom though.

The hyperblaster?Yes.
The BFG10K?Hell no!They use very different mechanics.The doom BFG has the tracers follow the player,no lasers,and no splash damage.The 10k has the tracers coming from the initian shooting point,splash damage and lasers that shoot at nearby enemies.So yeah,pretty different weaponry.

printz said:

They are, and you know it.

They serve similar roles as far as when you choose to use them, but that's about where the similarities end.

killer2 said:

The hyperblaster?Yes.
The BFG10K?Hell no!They use very different mechanics.The doom BFG has the tracers follow the player,no lasers,and no splash damage.The 10k has the tracers coming from the initian shooting point,splash damage and lasers that shoot at nearby enemies.So yeah,pretty different weaponry.

Let's just say that both the plasma gun and the hyperblaster function as powerful finite-speed projectile spammers with cool-down time when released, and the BFGs as same-ammo higher-consumers whose sole purpose is to clear the screen.

Meanwhile the thunderbolt of Quake 1 is a very-fast totally-accurate low-range hitscan of high-power (and consumption). No Doom has that.

When I first got Quake II, I thought it was 10 times better than Quake. The game was laid out with a purpose, the maps had clear design themes, and it gave you a specific part in a larger overall story. The music actually qualified as music, it fit the maps, and most of all, it was really quite good. Oh, and not to mention, the processing plant.

But, for some reason, I never felt like playing it more than 3 or 4 times. Instead, I found myself continually revisiting Quake, and up to now I've probably played Quake at least 50x more than Quake II. I'm not even sure why. I don't have any objective reasons. Somehow it's just more fun.

I liked the enemies in quake 1, and actually prefer the gameplay a bit more.

I mean, both are totally different. Quake is more like DOOM, while quake 2 is just.... a different FPS on its own.

They are really hard to compare, now I want to say I like quake 1 more...

I definitely like Quake 2 the best.

Quake 1 was an interesting look at what you could do with a 3d engine, but it was a bit...weird. The maps were a bit too surreal and lacked cohesion. I never liked the enemies that much (except maybe the fiend which scared the crap out of me the first time I ran into it), and the weapons weren't at all interesting.

Quake 2, on the other hand, I have fond memories of playing it for the first time over a LAN. I think it may have been the first game I ever LANed. I got a pirated copy of it back in 8th grade, and proceeded to play it on my dial-up against friends all the time. Played it on the local gaming store's LAN a bunch of times before Counterstrike became the 'in' thing, too. I finally bought it and the expansion packs later on. No offense to Trent Reznor, but it has the better soundtrack by far. I still listen to it to this day. The extra tracks on the expansion pack disc are even more interesting. I loved the single player more, too. I played through it at least 4-5 times, and I think I only played Quake through maybe once or twice. Also, I think Quake 2 had the best, most classic group of weapons and deathmatch maps. I'm surprised I don't see the Q2DM maps remade more often.

I much prefer Quake 2.

Quake is a good game in its own right, but the levels get repetitive and boring, especially in Episode 3. I liked the gothic atmosphere about it, though.

Quake 2, on the other hand, I think had better music, better enemies, and better level deisgn. The final levels had a more climactic feel to them, and the bosses were better than Quake's.

God damn it now I feel like playing through Quake and Quake 2 again

I have better memories of Quake 1.
That and I love the Operation Baysheild machinima that needed Quake 1 to watch

Quake 1 for me. Love the atmosphere and environments, scary monsters, sweet weapons, and cool soundtrack. Quake 2 was okay, but nothing special. It actually felt like Doom in 3D, but not as fun to play over and over again.

What if they remade quake 1? Man, that'd be awesome. Even if it had just PS2 graphics, and updated version of those monsters would look fantastic.

@Mattasacre
I'd recommend certainly playing through quake 1-2. I mean, I play doom 2 A LOT, but I've managed a lot of time to play many other games of this era as well.

Quake 1, because it felt more like Doom (which I like better than Quake) than Quake 2. It had that whole toxic mix of Medieval/Lovecraftian/Satanic themes, with lots of brutality and barbaric violence. The second game felt a bit too cliche with the sci-fi/cybernetic themes, even though it's a lot of fun and has some great weapons. Quake 1 had the nail guns, though.

GoatLord said:

Quake 1, because it felt more like Doom (which I like better than Quake)

Nice save, wouldn't want to see you banned.

The cyber/alien nature of Quake 2 diminishes a lot of the brutality I mentioned was present in Quake. I mean, goddamn, I don't know what it is...there's something so sinister about Quake. In some ways it seems more evil than Doom, aesthetically speaking. Also, nailguns.

yellowmadness54 said:

What if they remade quake 1? Man, that'd be awesome.

I'd also like to see some kind of "Doom HD". Neither is likely to ever happen though.

Dr. Durr said:

Dosen't the Xbox 360 version of Doom I/II count?

As HD remakes? Not at all.

Quake. Better atmosphere, better music, more interesting aesthetics, and a better endboss.

I loved both Quakes but I feel Quake 1 does get a bit more boring than Quake 2 at times, also I liked that the 64 version of Quake had coloured lighting but sadly there is no mods that do the same.

Doomsfall said:

I loved both Quakes but I feel Quake 1 does get a bit more boring than Quake 2 at times, also I liked that the 64 version of Quake had coloured lighting but sadly there is no mods that do the same.

I seem to recall Darkplaces and Tenebrae having colored lighting.