Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skadoomer

Doom 64 Map: Teleport Station

I made a map for Doom 64 and i'm looking for a little feedback on how it plays. The map is called the Teleport Station and was a fun little experiment in playing with doom 64's lighting & macro system.

Here are some screenshots:

The map can be downloaded here. Feedback is welcome, namely on the easier and harder difficulty settings. I've been playing doom too long to know if there balanced in any sort of way.

Haven't played the map yet because I am busy setting up my new computer and cleaning up the shitfest that is the spam attack on the forums. But anyways I went ahead and posted your article on Doom64 Ex's website

I don't know whether it was because of N64 hardware limitations or if the staff rushed map development, but those map screenshots already look ten times more amazing than the stock N64 mapset.

I'll try this once I get back from work. :)

More Doom64 goodness!

Alright, so I tried it out and so far, it's great. There are a couple of problems I encountered, though.

First, the two monitors in front of where the red key initially floats don't work. I assume they're supposed to function because when I approach them, the on-screen tip says "use". Other monitors don't show this tip, so I assume these ones intend to be usable.

This one is a more serious problem:

Spoiler

In one of the red key doors, you go down some stairs (there are 2 cages on the sides where shotgunguys teleport in) and fight some Barons/Hell Knights. At the far end of the room, you press a switch. After pressing this, I got teleported in a cage, with more Barons outside of it, then quickly teleported back (I think). When I walk off the teleport pad, it gets barred from access. I can't get out the door (red key door) I came in and I cannot get the bars to lower... so I'm stuck in that room.

Mista_T said:

I don't know whether it was because of N64 hardware limitations or if the staff rushed map development, but those map screenshots already look ten times more amazing than the stock N64 mapset.

Well, think about it. The game came out in 1997, April actually. That's less than three and a half years after the first game, and only a couple years after custom mapping had become a trend. I suspect that whatever editor the mappers used was hardly as intuitive or user-friendly as the ones mappers use today, some of whom have the benefit of nearly two decades of experience and refinement. On a related note, I believe Doom 64 had only two mappers, so that certainly limited the amount of attention to detail that would have been possible, considering they were working on deadlines, whereas non-profit mappers can spend as much time as they'd like.

You sure about the fix? :P Now, more enemies teleport in, but I'm still stuck in there. EDIT: I'm playing on "Watch Me Die" BTW.

Well its definitely fixed now. I guess i had some combat situation i was going to do on the harder difficulties, so a lot of flags that made the easier modes work where unchecked for the hardest.

GoatLord said:

On a related note, I believe Doom 64 had only two mappers, so that certainly limited the amount of attention to detail that would have been possible, considering they were working on deadlines, whereas non-profit mappers can spend as much time as they'd like.

I've said before that DoomBuilder 64 makes the whole process much easier, and the 3d mode editing in general is definitely an awesome wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) experience.

That being said, i really only spent about 3 weeks on the map, and half that time went to lighting. If your going to make a doom 64 map, its worth bookmarking the Adobe Kuler Website as a starting point for figuring out a good color palette for your areas. That's definitely one tool that the original mappers could have benefited from.

There is a thing that I hate about Doom, crazy high detail.
There is a thing that I love about Doom 64, crazy high detail. :P

C30N9 said:

There is a thing that I hate about Doom, crazy high detail.
There is a thing that I love about Doom 64, crazy high detail. :P

The built-in Doom64 maps aren't especially detailed though. I'm confused.

esselfortium said:

The built-in Doom64 maps aren't especially detailed though. I'm confused.

Compared to the original Doom1/2 maps, they're very detailed.

Kaiser said:

Compared to the original Doom1/2 maps, they're very detailed.

Check-mate.

That was pretty cool, and it is especially wonderful that new D64 maps are possible finally to preserve and breathe fresh life into the N64 title for PC.