Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Invisibilities

Recommended Posts

NaturalTvventy said:

More harm then good.


Depends on how it is used. If the map/situation has a lot of hit-scanning enemies, it is actually helpful for you. Projectile enemies, not so much.

However, even its shittiness against projectile enemies is kind of cool for mappers. For example, in my second cc4 map I have a scenario where the player is force-fed an invisibility sphere before confronting a cyberdemon. Adds a new element unpredictability, and cover becomes more precious.

Oh also, what does the rubiks cube machine have to do with anything.

Share this post


Link to post

I once made a map with a conveyor contraption that continuously fed blur spheres to a voodoo doll, pitting the player against a few dozen mancubi in a huge courtyard with a constant partial invisibility effect. I don't think I released it though, because I know everyone would just whine about how retarded the idea is anyway. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Mithran Denizen said:

I once made a map with a conveyor contraption that continuously fed blur spheres to a voodoo doll...*snip*...a constant partial invisibility effect.

That is fifty kinds of awesome. I'm so stealing that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Mithran Denizen said:

I once made a map with a conveyor contraption that continuously fed blur spheres to a voodoo doll, pitting the player against a few dozen mancubi in a huge courtyard with a constant partial invisibility effect. I don't think I released it though, because I know everyone would just whine about how retarded the idea is anyway. :P


I... actually think that sounds pretty fun, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
hex11 said:

Good for lurking around in dark rooms, stalking your deathmatch opponents.


Yeah, when it actually shows up in a DM map.

Share this post


Link to post
NaturalTvventy said:

More harm then good.

Most of the time I agree. I have theorised before that the whole idea for the Mancubus attack came about from fighting projectile enemies with invisibility on.

I have thought about making maps before where I'd force the player to pickup an Invis Sphere as an additional setback. I then realised the player could just pick up the sphere, wait till it wears off, then proceed with the rest of the map. Mithran's idea is good but requires scripting to be truly infinite and I prefer to map in Boom.

PS: It's "More hard than good".

Share this post


Link to post
Super Jamie said:

I then realised the player could just pick up the sphere, wait till it wears off, then proceed with the rest of the map.

Or you could make it so that after you force the player to pick up the sphere it triggers monsters so they have to fight with it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Super Jamie said:

Mithran's idea is good but requires scripting to be truly infinite and I prefer to map in Boom.

Could you use dehacked to make an actor infinitely spew blur spheres onto a conveyor at a regular interval? I haven't tried (and my dehacked skills are pretty rusty), but it seems like it might be possible.

Still, even if it's not truly infinite, you can just spam as many blur spheres onto the conveyor as you need for any given map size. Since each one lasts 60 seconds, I used 60 of them to provide a solid hour of forced invisibility in the map I mentioned earlier. Since the level only took 5-10 minutes to finish at most, that was probably already overkill. Spamming the powerup like that also really fucks with the item % count, but nobody gives a shit about that anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

Depends on different situations.

If in narrow areas, then this pickup is totally crap. If facing on cyberdemons or barons etc. strong powerful monsters, same it's a crap pickup. But if facing on areas with lots of hitscan, for example 1monster map13, then this is very useful indeed. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Super Jamie said:

Most of the time I agree. I have theorised before that the whole idea for the Mancubus attack came about from fighting projectile enemies with invisibility on.

I have thought about making maps before where I'd force the player to pickup an Invis Sphere as an additional setback. I then realised the player could just pick up the sphere, wait till it wears off, then proceed with the rest of the map. Mithran's idea is good but requires scripting to be truly infinite and I prefer to map in Boom.

PS: It's "More hard than good".

OMFG you're back! I am so happy.

On-topic:It always annoys me when I find them pieces of shit in a secret, because 99% of the time the secret is put before projectile foes, and not hitscanners. I think I pretty much hate it in general, as it is misused most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post

Mmmmm. I think when people pickup the invisibility they forget that that have it and proceed to attempt to dodge fireballs even though they are invisible. I often use it as an opportunity to relax and let monsters throw fireballs at walls while I pummel them with rockets.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a gameplay situation in a yet to be released map where you get to decide whether you want to get slowly picked apart by chaingunner sniper fire, or take the invisibility but the catch is there are lots of mancubi nearby.

Share this post


Link to post

It adds the risk of randomisation against cyberdemons and mancubi in particular - otherwise I consider it a pretty safe bet.

Share this post


Link to post
DeathevokatioN said:

I have a gameplay situation in a yet to be released map where you get to decide whether you want to get slowly picked apart by chaingunner sniper fire, or take the invisibility but the catch is there are lots of mancubi nearby.


That is awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
lupinx-Kassman said:

However, even its shittiness against projectile enemies is kind of cool for mappers. For example, in my second cc4 map I have a scenario where the player is force-fed an invisibility sphere before confronting a cyberdemon.

Dammit, I thought that was my original idea. :(

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×