Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rgerber

DooM high dynamic remixes

Maybe that's the name of the artist?

Obviously "high dynamic" means little or no dynamic compression. See Dynamic range.

The opposite would be "over compression", which is a frequent issue on modern audio mastering. It isn't done to make it sound good. It is done (among other destructive editing) to make it sound loud. See Loudness War.

BuddhaMaster said:

DooM remixes staying to the originals track form, in extended instrumentation.
If you like go here and watch each corresponding video response for some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCRmakH7X2E

Ok What I've meant by that:

Staying to the original midi arrangement, adding more expressive instruments, all orchestral instrumentation and more dynamic range.

As if it were played live. But mastering or sweetening falls completely flat!

Your remix of "The Healer Stalks" has all of these weird timing issues where it sounds like the music is stumbling over itself; it's very jarring. Seems to be some production issues too, because everything sounds tinny and distant. "The Waste Tunnels" has similar issues but not to the same extent.

You just don't get it. The Healer Stalks remix is equivalent to a modern-art piece. You either accept the arbitrary weirdness or utterly dislike it.

BuddhaMaster said:

You just don't get it. The Healer Stalks remix is equivalent to a modern-art piece. You either accept the arbitrary weirdness or utterly dislike it.

oh boy

BuddhaMaster said:

I think you could come up with a better explanation for why the additional instrumentation falls out of time with the main melody, which also stutters here and there with awkward pauses. A lot of out key notes too, which create unfitting dissonance, and percussion that seems very unorganized.

GoatLord said:

I think you could come up with a better explanation for why the additional instrumentation falls out of time with the main melody, which also stutters here and there with awkward pauses. A lot of out key notes too, which create unfitting dissonance, and percussion that seems very unorganized.

Sounds just like a modern-art piece to me ;)

Well it's an old remix made by me, some 130 years ago and sometimes I think its cool, it's a really demanding piece. But probably it's not so good. Just shut off your brain and you will like it.

GoatLord said:

All these upsettings, sudden, jazzy variations are used extensively in professional recordings, but only a few manage an acceptable degree balance. You can hear some of it throughout albums like 90125 by Yes.

Actually, it is often the case that talentless hacks resort to such trickery as a mere attempt to conceal the fact that they can't make music, hoping the weirdness factor is going to add "depth" to their songs and overshadow their mediocrity, and that's the core of indie music.

This song in particular, well, not my cup of tea, but I'd say it's completely legit.

Are you hearing the instruments and percussion suddenly jumping out of time? They're not methodical polyrhythmic or atonal elements.

Well, there is a lot of art out there that does not follow the "rules" of art and is still quite famous. Andy Warhol is a great example. His work is intentionally jarring and an agitation to the eyes. I personally don't enjoy any of Warhol's work, but to each his own I guess. I'm not saying that this music is worthy of praise equal to Warhol's work but to say it breaks the rules of music isn't the best reason for stating why it sucks.

For the record, I couldn't stand listening to it for the same reasons stated above. It was just too jarring and sounded like a series of bad accidents. That isn't to say that those "jarring" "bad accidents" are not intentional.

I would like to know how they're intentional because I've listened to a lot of avant garde music, so I'm used to odd time signatures, chromaticism, atonality, polyrhythms, multiple scales being used simultaneously, intentional breaks in tempo, etc. This track does not sound like any of that, it sounds like an attempt to break rules without actually knowing the rules in the first place.

I've twice worked with people who played just like this and I'm 100% certain this song ain't broken, all the crap sounds intentional. Again, it's ugly, annoying and you couldn't pay me enough to sit through the whole thing again, but that's just the way some of these arrangements sound.