Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Casual games recommended to play

I'd like to find new games, but sadly, the number of legally downloadable AND GOOD games is very low.

Can you recommend me games that can be good for playing and have small space requirement?

Even retro games can be good, but I didn't find a lot of old games (Quake 2 is the best example).

I'm sure I could suggest more, and it's been around long enough that you might have played the hell out of it already, but I just spent the last several hours kicking ass at the Doom roguelike, so you might want to try that if you haven't already.

Edit: Also, Daggerfall is freeware now. I don't know how "casual" you'd consider it, but play it anyway.

Mithran Denizen: Daggerfall look interesting, thanks!

DooMAD: I didn't like Freeciv when I tried previously, but the other ones are nice! Thank you!

I'd suggest

Chaser (Good for low system requirements actually. Bad voice acting, but fun sngleplayer. Unfortunatly no one plays multiplayer anymore, even though there are three dedicated servers that seem to be eternaly running. Probably be able to find it free. It's on GOG, so... Shooter)

Area 51 (Free game, based off the arcade game. Multiplayer is rather fun. Shooter.)

I haven't played any of the other games mentioned here but Soldat grabbed a ton of hours of gameplay out of me. It's small in disk space, pretty quick to download, and has very short loading times. Awesome for some quick online 2d deathmatches or capture the flag. Lots of guns, lots of blood, very loud. Hits all the right notes. If you haven't already tried it, it's highly recommended. It will take a little bit of time to adjust to it but it's worth it. This is coming from someone who's usually unsatisfied with everything.

As Clonehunter suggested, GOG.com is a great resource for old games. The games are DRM-free and come pre-patched to work properly. In cases where DOSBox is required, GOG.com prepares a batch file for you so all you have to do is install and then run the game! Most of their games work on modern operating systems like Windows 7 and Vista.

Another site is Direct2Drive.com which also might have a few casual games.

Knytt & Knytt Stories (quick google search will find it)

i can also second Soldat, but i haven't played it for like 5 years since i bought the registry key in middle school so i could have a little star next to my name

Minesweeper is awesome, if a little addictive.

I don't know if there are any freeware versions of Lemmings, but you should be able to pick up some version of it fairly cheaply. I'd suggest going for the classics - the original or Oh No! More Lemmings. After that, I think they dumbed it down a bit.

If small download size is your main criterion, then look no further than kkrieger.

printz said:

How about chess? Against the computer.

Not normally too much fun. You're probably better off playing humans online, even though some of them are jerks. You can play on ICC for free - trial memberships last a week, and you can get another trial membership once it runs out (I'm told by a reliable source).

Aren't the majority of games aimed at the "casual" audience these days? I always feel the term is a little redundant. It doesn't take a high amount of concentration and commitment to blast through your typical post-2000 shooter.

Grazza said:

I was just going to suggest this one myself. Minesweeper can be fun to "speedrun", as well, even if the random element often plays more part in your success than skill does. Scrabble is another game that I've wasted way too much time with, and I think the Internet Scrabble Club is still around for free matches, though that's obviously not for everyone. Also, Spelunky hasn't been mentioned, so that might be worth a run.

If you have a friend, then I suggest Worms, one of the most fun games to duel someone with.

Xaser said:

Cave Story

Tyrian

These should be required playing, IMO. :)

Long time Tyrian fan here. I had that game back in '95. It bears a lot in common with Space Megaforce for the SNES.

I just started playing Cave Story on your recommendation. Very, very cool. Thanks for mentioning it.

In real, I just need easily downloadable games. I've tried several Humble Bundle Games previously, but thanks!

Try little fighter 2. Wasted some years with online battles back then before community crumbled.

Rogue is a good one, although it's very difficult and has somewhat of a steep learning curve to it.

Recently I stumbled upon this game which pretty much fits your requirements. I found it rather enjoyable.

I've also played Knytt Stories, which is a really fun platformer, but IIRC it comes with some music that sorta takes up space. There is also Within a Deep Forest by the same guy, which is also pretty fun to play. Both have a unique atmosphere and cute art style to them.

EarthQuake said:

Recently I stumbled upon this game which pretty much fits your requirements. I found it rather enjoyable.

Thank you but I'm a permanent member of Kongregate.com so I know most of the related games. :)

Grazza said:

I don't know if there are any freeware versions of Lemmings, but you should be able to pick up some version of it fairly cheaply.

I believe there's a bunch of Lemmings clones, together with custom level sets. I grabbed some ages ago but never got round to trying them :p

Grazza said:

I'd suggest going for the classics - the original or Oh No! More Lemmings.After that, I think they dumbed it down a bit.

They actually nerfed a handful of the harder levels after the Amiga originals came out. (both classic and Oh No! More Lemmings)