Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Netflix

Most of the major news outlets have been reporting on the mass exodus of Netfix customers and the drop of their stocks. I have had Netflix for almost a year. We have a dedicated PC hooked up to our television for streaming purposes and having DVDs mailed to our house seemed like an added bonus. When Netflix announced they were splitting DVD and streaming services we decided to drop the DVD service. We paid 10.61, and now we pay 7.99. It wasn't surprising to me, 11 dollars for the DVD and unlimited streaming service (with no commercials)seemed almost too good to be true.

I don't have cable television, which is not the norm, so maybe my use is not normal. Netflix is our television. For me the mass exodus seems completely irrational. Where are they going to go? Blockbuster? They charge 9.99 for their service. Hulu Plus for streaming? Sure it's the same price but they have commercials, and increasingly so. I also find Hulu's content to be rather poor in comparison. Am I missing something?

Edit: I bet most people saw Rant: Netflix and thought I was going to bitch about the price increase.

i've got netflix and my girlfriend and I use it to watch TV shows. It's really nice to be able to pick out each episode of The Office and Parks and Recreation and some other shows that are designed to be watched in sequential order. I don't really use netflix much by myself though because almost all the movies they have available for streaming are garbage. They either have movies I've already seen, movies I've never heard of, or independent films, and literally nothing that I would want to watch.

I used to have Netflix, when I had money. I liked it a lot, and I found the selection of movies and anime to be pretty diverse, and any available show was the entire series, or at least full seasons, not episodes 3-9 or some nonsense like that. Nowadays, I use a friend's Hulu Plus account, which has a much worse selection of movies, and god damn, the commercials. I'm going to end up in a padded cell somewhere, reciting Geico commercials to my imaginary friends. I'm not paying for it though, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Several of my friends utilize Netflix and we recently started using it here at work (streaming movies for bored kids). The only real complaint I see is usually the lack of popular movie selections. Anything particularly recent (say the last couple of years) that was really popular seems to be missing from their selection (no Transformers, 2012, etc.). Otherwise their TV show selection always seemed decent to me, but I wonder if its just because people aren't finding the movies they though they would.

Or it could be something completely different, I'm just speculating here.

flubbernugget said:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix

Pretty much why people are moving away from Netflix as far as I can tell.

Maybe this is my problem. While I see where the article is going, I don't think the analogy really works. That's like saying the DVD and streaming service are assumed to go together and that it's stupid to get them separately, however, it's far from the truth. It's more like ordering a pizza and getting burrito. They're both food, but whatever.

They're prices still seem to be competitive as far as I can tell so everyone is moving away to another company to pay the same price if not more? Seems silly to me. My bank lowered our interest rate this year, so am I going to pull all my money out and get pissy about it? No, because I spent a lot of time searching for that rate and I know I probably won't find one as high, and probably just end up with an even lower interest rate from a different bank.

I only ever used streaming so I was happy to drop my DVD plan too. I guess I'm one of the few who ended up saving because I could never be arsed to return the two DVDs I got with my initial plan. The investors who are offloading stock in Netflix are panicked morons and I believe now is a good time to invest, because the platform is entrenched and it's not going anywhere. None of its competition is even remotely up to par.

lol, speaking of stocks, Nov 90 put is up 1200% today and it was only 0.80 per contract yesterday. What a soar!

hobomaster22 said:

Maybe this is my problem. While I see where the article is going, I don't think the analogy really works. That's like saying the DVD and streaming service are assumed to go together and that it's stupid to get them separately, however, it's far from the truth. It's more like ordering a pizza and getting burrito. They're both food, but whatever.

I don't see why you wouldn't want them both together, though. The DVDs are great for movies which aren't available on streaming, and streaming is great for TV shows which would be a pain to get through DVD.

Yeah, I can get that you don't need both, but the services compliment each other nicely, so I would think most people would want both. Maybe the analogy is more like a burger and fries. Some people may just want a burger, some people may just want the fries, but it's a good combination and most people will go for that.

I've always liked Blockbuster's mail program since the nearest Blockbuster is 5 minutes away. I know plenty of people that have said for years why use Netflix when you can just torrent.

A lot of my friends are abandoning cable for Hulu and Netflix.

Netflix is well-suited to my tastes, since I have no need for cable and I'm not in a hurry to catch the latest video releases. I've gone through most of the DVD content I care about, so I may be changing my subscription.

I pay $10 per month to watch 8 DVDs for my Blockbuster by mail program. I've really run out of stuff to watch years ago so I rent old TV shows like Batman the Animated Series.

I pay 8USD a month for internet streaming only. It's cheaper than what I was paying for cable (9.99USD monthly for major news channels only) and much better. It has a surprisingly good selection for tv shows.

geo said:

I pay $10 per month to watch 8 DVDs for my Blockbuster by mail program. I've really run out of stuff to watch years ago so I rent old TV shows like Batman the Animated Series.

Blockbuster packed up and left a few months ago. There used to be four video stores by my house. I don't think there is even one now.

If Netflix had a better streaming selection I'd have my mom on it by now.

i had the 2 dvd and streaming plan.
cut back to 1 dvd and streaming since the price on streaming.
considering dropping the streaming (although i love it) because of the price.
i can stream anything i want for free using other services on the internet and, yes, i feel perfectly fine doing so.
i pay a lot of money to exist. it's not my fault the world is overpopulated with dumbshits and everything has become a service.
i don't mind tipping.
but give me a happy ending.

The Lag said:

i don't mind tipping.
but give me a happy ending.

I know this one massage parlor downtown where they'll give you the best happy ending of your life if you leave them a generous tip