Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

What is going on? [Doombuilder 2 problem]

I'm making this map in doombuilder 2 and I've made quite a lot, the map is split into 3 arena like sections and so having made 2 of them I'm starting on the third and so I've started to create it on the mapping grid a fair distance away from the other 2 sections.

Anyway I created a box sector, then created a sector around the box but instead of creating a solid sector the walls were light grey indicating they were double sided. So I deleted both the new sectors and tried to build it again but same thing happens when I create the second sector.

Sorry if you don't understand, I would upload an image but my university won't let us access file sharing sites like mediafire or megaupload for some reason.

I'm confused so help us out here, which of the following occured, A or B? (The difference here is the colour of the outermost walls).

EDIT: To clarify I can't tell by your post which walls you are complaining about being double-sided, the walls of the inner box, or the walls of the outer box.

B
the outer walls are not solid and when I bring the mouse cursor outside the sector (in sectors mode) into the black area, the sector is still highlighted.

Two small questions:

1) What does the Map Analysis mode tell you? (The tick mark icon on the top bar)

2) What happens if you go into Make Sector Mode (press M) and click inside and outside the sector?

I've also had times before where Doom Builder gets horribly confused over what parts of the map count as a sector and what parts don't. It sounds like you've got a dodgy sector reference somewhere, possibly one of the outer walls of a single-sided linedef says there should be a sector on the outside somewhere. Well, aside from on your new sector of course, it's obviously got a problem!

This can easily happen when you remove individual lines or vertices manually. You will get an unclosed sector. If you intend to remove a whole sector, just go into sectors mode and remove the whole sector at once. Then any neighbouring lines will be corrected automatically.

Heres an image, the mouse cursor is outside all the sectors

I tried deleting all these sectors and starting again but the same thing happened, note that this is not the only part of the map that I have built, there are whole other areas which work fine.

Map analysis mode tells me nothing

I'm almost certain that this is a dodgy sector reference problem somewhere in your map because the symptoms look and sound identical to a problem that I've had before, where Make Sector Mode wouldn't work when I clicked on the area that was giving me problems. In all of those cases, it was due to overlapping linedefs or some sort of similar problem elsewhere in the map where a sector wasn't closed properly.

My only advice at this stage would be to look closely at all of the outer lines in the rest of the map looking out for any weirdness. Hammering Make Sector Mode in other areas of the map may help to fix this. There's a problem somewhere but it might not be anywhere near where you're making this new sector.

EDIT: Something to try, look at a linedef in this new part of the map and see what the sidedefs say are the sector references, particular the lines in your screenshot that are facing into the void. What is the sector reference for the front sidedef? Search for that sector index.

The seven linedefs of the sector on the bottom left are pointing into the void.
Flip them.
Then make certain that all back sidedefs of the linedefs bounding the void have no sector reference.

And while all outside linedefs are still highlighted, set them to impassable.