Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Use

Battlefield 3

Okay..

I'm about 4 hours into the online mode on PS3. I got this game since my best friend is in med-school and can't game often, when he can he just wants something mind-numbing where he can shoot the hell out of people.

So my first foray into these 'tactical' shooters was Bad Company 2, and I enjoyed that, good graphics, fast gameplay, guns felt powerful. Now comes BF3, and I'm not overly impressed. The graphics are definitely awesome, but that's where the fun ends.
The lighting for instance is out of control, I feel like I'm battling sunbeams as often as enemy soldiers. I also hate every single piece of starting equipment. All the start guns are useless. It's also getting tiresome to compete with people who spend all day playing just to unlock some stupid weapons I technically already paid for. Just feels like a giant chore after the effort I put into BC2.
Speaking of weapons the flashlight on some guns is also retarded, I love how it's able to blind you in BROAD DAYLIGHT. That doesn't even make sense.

Overall there's obviously much I haven't seen or done yet in the game, there's no maps that I particularly like yet, so I'm not jumping at the chance to get on and be wrecked by all the Masters of the Game who magically find my server and all play at once. I was hoping since the game was new I would be able to smash some n00bs. NOPE. Last night every person online was Jesus incarnate...just annoying is all. Also where's the goddamned Hardcore mode?
So yeah, so far my one-word review: Tiresome.

I'm satisfied with the Play 4 Free version, condering I'm immune to "Skinner's Box" games. For tactical shooters, my hands are still full with ArmA 2 (which is, coincidentally, also free).

Bucket said:

I'm satisfied with the Play 4 Free version, condering I'm immune to "Skinner's Box" games.

The novelty is really starting to wear thin. I guess one was enough for me.

Bad Company 2 is easily the worst of battlefield games, and one of the worst, most broken feeling FPS game I've ever played, and to hear BF3 is worse just sounds... pleasing.

BC1 and everything before was fine. BC2 was all... CoD-ified, much like DNF.

Far Cry 3, you are my only hope.

Use3D said:

The novelty is really starting to wear thin. I guess one was enough for me.

I suppose, but why not exploit the shallow end of consumerism? "Click here to spend $5 on new accessories! Click here to buy 500 experience points!" Ha ha, no thanks. I'll just continue to enjoy this free game you gave me. As long as there are no ads in my face, what's the harm?

But yeah, I can't imagine the game has improved much since BF2. The series was riddled with bugs after that, and DICE always seemed to give more attention to nerfing weapons so noobs could play.

I'm no real BF fan, but I'm currently waiting for my copy of BF3 to arrive for the PC. I bought the game because a friend of mine bought is too, and he likes the series. I also recieved an email from him today that he spend like 2 hours on installing the game. I hope its going to be worth it.

I spend an ungodly amount of time with 1942 + expansions and a little bit of bf:v many years ago. Great games. But then I heard horror stories abound for bf2 and 2142 and I never played them.

IIRC during the huge steam summer sale this year an irl friend recommended bc2 + vietnam because it was cheap as hell. I don't mind bc2 so much, but vietnam was kind of a letdown. A lack of maps and the annoying as fuck 'leveling' system are not cool however.

I played the bf3 public beta and the shift from steam to origin and a web based server browser pretty much guarantee I will not purchase it despite the awesomeness that is caspian border.

Alright a few more hours, yeah I fucking hate this game. Found Hardcore mode, not that it matters. Waste of time.

yellowmadness54 said:

Lol

Did you even watch the FC3 trailer? another scripted boring CODfest. The gameplay will be similar to Crysis2 AT BEST.

Battlefield2 was the last good one. I was really disappointed by BC2 tbh. It's a shame considering Desert Combat and BF:V are classics in my opinion.

More of the same crap.

Too many MMSes (Modern Military Shooters) lately and it's boring.

Bucket said:

my hands are still full with ArmA 2 (which is, coincidentally, also free).

The online multiplayer for Arma 2 is fucking terrible though, partially because of the shitty programming (in co-op you generally need to aim 20 feet ahead of enemies even if you're less than 200 m just to compensate for lag) and partially because the people playing are generally obnoxious chair commandos who constantly spew out military terms and shit. Last time I played there was a guy flying a helicopter who was literally covering his mouth with his hand and talking extremely slowly in an attempt to sound like a pilot.

Use3D said:

I got this game since my best friend is in med-school and can't game often, when he can he just wants something mind-numbing where he can shoot the hell out of people.

dutch devil said:

I bought the game because a friend of mine bought is too, and he likes the series.

Buying and playing this boring crap for this reason alone is a testament to how good of a friend you both are. You deserve medals.

Oh wow, another "let's bash a modern non-ID game" thread. I wonder what happens when mw3 releases.

Oh great another thread talking about a new high profile game that turned out to be average. Cue 40oz showing up to tell you you're wasting your time.

Mr. T said:
Did you even watch the FC3 trailer? another scripted boring CODfest. The gameplay will be similar to Crysis2 AT BEST.

I hope so. Crysis 2 was rad.

Also has anyone ever liked the brown/gray hue that is over every single fucking game? It's particularly annoying here, because it actually would probably look awesome if that horrible gray was turned off. I mean really, it's basically obscuring the wonderful amount of detail that the makers of this game seem to be so proud of. Yes, I know it's an old complaint, but I have never heard anything to justify it. Sure, nerds on forums clam it's supposed to be about realism but I just don't buy that; anyone with eye's can tell you the real world doesn't have a gray/brown hue.
I'm guessing there's some kind of technical/artistic reason behind it?

It's just so ugly.

xepop said:

Oh wow, another "let's bash a modern non-ID game" thread

Seen the Rage thread? Plenty of negativity in there, son.

yellowmadness54 said:

Bad Company 2 is easily the worst of battlefield games, and one of the worst, most broken feeling FPS game I've ever played, and to hear BF3 is worse just sounds... pleasing.

BC1 and everything before was fine. BC2 was all... CoD-ified, much like DNF.

If FC3 is as bloody as the first then I'm deffinently getting it. :P

I tried the beta and was unimpressed. Would spawn in a large bland open area, then get shot randomly from some speck hiding in a bush half a mile away. Really I'm not a fan of any shooter where you are placed in a massive battlefield with many players, I end up feeling exposed and without purpose. Going to be getting MW3 as my social-gaming military shootout anyway so meh, prefer the tighter levels and it feels more competitive.

So far this game looks like the biggest piece of stinking FPS shit that I've seen in my whole entire life. It is everything that sucked about CoD but an hour and a half long this time. The maps are cluttered full of pointless generic shitty realistic objects, and for such a high level of cluttered detail the scenes still managed to look boring, uninteresting, sterile, and bland as fuck. I think I'd rather go play Rage instead because that looks interesting atleast. Maybe I just have high expectations for games, but I can't stand these ridiculously over-hyped faux Hollywood new pseudo realistic fps games that look like simulators and don't even feel like a game when your playing it.

Craigs said:

The online multiplayer for Arma 2 is fucking terrible though,[...]partially because the people playing are generally obnoxious chair commandos who constantly spew out military terms and shit.

A mil-sim attracting players that simulate military actions. Never would have guessed.

@Captain Red Gray/brown is better than the orange/blue of hollywood cinema at least. Games featuring this color scheme at least sport a decent amount of color saturation and contrast when you set the brightness in-game to a good setting.

@yellowinsanity54 Really? The second word in your name is suitable. If anything, BC2 is closer to a real BF game than BC1 ever was, and you're really stretching the "codified" term way too far with these comparisons.

Far Cry 3 is more "codified" than either of these other games. Did you not see the regenerating health, SP hitmarkers, and fucking point system in the trailers?

As for BF3 itself: SP looks.... well, let me put it this way: Call of Duty looks extremely interactive in comparison.

MP was a lot better from what I played of the beta and what I've seen of the final product. Some of the lighting effects are... over-exaggerated without a doubt but regenerating health aside, it looks and plays like a proper battlefield game.

40oz said:

Oh great another thread talking about a new high profile game that turned out to be average. Cue 40oz showing up to tell you you're wasting your time.

It's okay, I had a couple real bad games last night. I think my biggest problem is I'll always want to play these games like I play Quake3, and that's just not going to work. I'll try and keep a cool head and probably enjoy myself more. My friend likes the game so I'll keep playing.

@Xeros612: You're right, a couple little irritations aside, it certainly plays like a BF game, the only thing keeping me from chucking it out the window.

Xeros612 said:

As for BF3 itself: SP looks.... well, let me put it this way: Call of Duty looks extremely interactive in comparison.

Yeah. This and Red Orchestra 2 sp are probably the most weirdest sp campaigns I ever touched. Definitely not positively weird. Luckily mp with friends in squad is just pure awesomness. Hc mode is actually incredible immersive.

Xeros612 said:

@yellowinsanity54 Really? The second word in your name is suitable. If anything, BC2 is closer to a real BF game than BC1 ever was, and you're really stretching the "codified" term way too far with these comparisons.

Far Cry 3 is more "codified" than either of these other games. Did you not see the regenerating health, SP hitmarkers, and fucking point system in the trailers?

Dude, are you kidding?
FC3 still maintains the open world look, unlike BFBC2's (Pffft, hay, lets make some linear as fuck single player, then throw together online with perks and shit" I'm surprised to see no killstreaks, oh now... wait, Crysis 2 came along and took that, as well!

BC1 was far closer to the original battlefields than BC2 was, because it was far more open, and its multiplayer didn't feel like MW2 with big maps and vehicles.
And, I'm sorry, but did BC2 not include hit markers, regen health as well?

Have you actually played BC2? Because its maps are much, much bigger then MW2's. There's nothing about BC2 that's like MW2 at all. You must be thinking of Medal of Honor.

I played BC2 and found it to be really fun. The weapons were ok and felt good, the battles were also nice, and the map locations weren't half bad.

yellowmadness54 said:

Dude, are you kidding?
FC3 still maintains the open world look, unlike BFBC2's (Pffft, hay, lets make some linear as fuck single player, then throw together online with perks and shit"

Yeah..BC2 didn't have perks, you just unlocked gear as you went along.

caco_killer said:

Have you actually played BC2? Because its maps are much, much bigger then MW2's. There's nothing about BC2 that's like MW2 at all. You must be thinking of Medal of Honor.

Have you played any other battlefield with BC2 in comparison?

Again.

BF games before BC2-
-non-so-linear campaigns
-no weapon attachments and loads of unlocks IE scopes, acogs, etc
-no perks (and yes, BC2 had perks IE light weight, magnum rounds, etc)
-you usually carried the knife around once it is in use
-Health bar, or something along the lines of it.

BC2-
-Ultra-linear campaign
-Loads of weapon attachments and unlocks.
-Perks
-Unbalanced weapons (make LMGs all powerful, nerf the fuck out of the Engineer classes weapons. And need I bring up the AN-94?)
-REGENERATING HEALTH
-Vehicle perks (yeah, tank campings real fun when the armor is doubled)
-The knife was a quick slash, and if you missed you were screwed, and you usually wouldn't seeing as how you home in on people with it and snap onto them.

Battlefield games on the PC before Bad Company didn't even have actual singleplayer campaigns. It was just multiplayer with Bots.