Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Will_Solo

Eternal WAD - PC Win XP Doom Collector Edition

Need help. I have Doom Collectors Edition on Windows XP on a PC with 4GB Ram and 1TB HDD and a 3.4Ghz HT Proc. A bit OTT for Dooms requirements. Downloaded Doom Eternal.wad but it didnt work despite adding it to the Final Doom folder, then the Doom 2 folder. Got told to use a mirror?!? wtf, and some other links, but they were all obsolete. Then found a place to download all i needed. IT STILL DOESNT WORK. Some error message comes up all the time. I downloaded Eternal 1,2,3 wads, tried downloading ZDoom and opening with that but it didnt recognize them at all.

Can anyone explain in an easy to understand language for someone whos brain works slower than a ZX 48k loading a tape?

There is a loader program in the collector edition where the plutonia and tnt iwads are selectable, so i shouldnt need zdoom etc, i need the pwad for eternal as far as i know, which i downloaded and was said to be compatible with final doom, and as its windows xp i just have to add the right wad folders into the main game folder for it to see the wads and add them to a drop down menu in the loader program. But none of these things have worked. Are the game wads obsolete now already? I thought Eternal 4 was out, cant find that either. Someone help me please...

Hi Will,

I don't have the Doom Collector's Edition, but if the frontend isn't loading the pwad properly, you can use the command prompt (which is what I do) to load a wad. Download any source port you want that is compatible with the wad you want to play and then do the following:

Here's how: Find out the drive Doom is in (C:, E:, X: whatever)

1. Type that drive letter then a colon like this "C:" press enter
2. enter the directory all the way to the folder your doom installation is in. i.e: "C:\Doom\zdoom\" press enter
3. Now it's time to load the source port so type zdoom or whatever
by now the command prompt should look similar to this:
"C:\Doom\zdoom>zdoom
4. Now you need to choose the file to run.
like this "C:\Doom\zdoom>zdoom -file pwad.wad

If you want to run a wad that only loads with a certain iwad the
parameter is -iwad and it needs to go before the pwad. There are more parameter, but I'll start you off simple. Hope this helps.

Also, here's the link for Eternal Doom IV
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15193

Will_Solo said:

Need help. I have Doom Collectors Edition on Windows XP on a PC with 4GB Ram and 1TB HDD and a 3.4Ghz HT Proc. A bit OTT for Dooms requirements. Downloaded Doom Eternal.wad but it didnt work despite adding it to the Final Doom folder, then the Doom 2 folder.

Did you install Eternal in accordance with the instructions in install.txt? If you don't have a copy of DOOM.EXE (which is likely if you only have the Collector's Edition), you can use the one in Shareware Doom.

There is a loader program in the collector edition where the plutonia and tnt iwads are selectable, so i shouldnt need zdoom etc, i need the pwad for eternal as far as i know.

Eternal.wad will work with the Doom95 launcher once it's installed successfully, I just had it running with Plutonia as the IWAD. If you'd like mouse support with Doom95, I'd suggest you use the patch described in this thread.

Are the game wads obsolete now already?

The registered IWADs are required to run Doom, so they'll never be obsolete.

I thought Eternal 4 was out

It is, though to run Eternal IV you'll need ZDoom or one of it's relatives, Doom95 won't hack it.