Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

How Would You Like Your Tech Base Served?

So I've taken on the project of making some standard tech based maps, something I usually avoid. What makes a great tech base? What do like to see when playing a map devoid of skulls and gore, where surrealism can't be used for aesthetics?

Are there mechanics you like to see exclusive for tech bases, or some cliche things that everyone has done?

Lend me your knowledge Doomworld!

I dunno, I'd love to post an essay on what makes a great classic tech base, but when it comes to tech bases, the only style that I can tolerate are Brad Spencer styled tech base maps which have overwhelmingly badass and awesome gameplay, tons of action, non linear layout, and attractive old schoolish visuals and smooth texturing.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10780

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12029

I'll probably post something more elaborate once I've gotten some sleep...

Why do all these questions sound like I'm ordering food?

Well, to answer your question, I like branching out hallways, missing tiles, and some darker areas and bright areas, unlike Hell's either being dark or bright through out.

I like to see a lot of details, elevators, and zombies. Other demons really don't go well with the labs.

A lot of secrets, of course. Highly enclosed areas, to the point where its like you are crawling through vents.

Make excessive use of switches and doors. IE switches to open doors on other parts of the base, etc.

Try to have windows to an out doors area. And in the middle perhaps, an open courtyard-ish style setting that leads to other branches of the base.

Mechadon said:

STARTAN. Lots and lots of STARTAN.

You can never have enough STARTAN, it's like TEKGREN, there can never be too much of it.

I like the use of FLAT14 in some tech base maps. I agree Brad Spencer would be a good influence, I recently made a tech base map inspired from his creations. It's good to mix and match some textures like STARBR2 with METAL or STARGR1 with COMPBLUE for some interesting results.

As long as there is good layout, good game play, and it at least looks nice (aligned textures, good texture flow, etc) then I'm happy.

Have plenty of outdoor areas. Not only does the rough terrain contrast nicely with the more rigid tech theme but it will give the base a sense of place.

Also, make the base dynamic by using lots of moving things and changing architecture for example.

Lots of windows, both interior and exterior. I'd use them at every opportunity that it doesn't interfere with set-piece traps and gameplay flow.

a bowl of pink spaghetti on the side, please.

lots and lots and lots of computer screen/part/buttons/panels/mecha/machine/metal/cable textures

and metal pillars, fence and of, stiff geometry

Lots of computers and TEKWALLs (even though TEKWALLs look stupid because they look like oversized PCBs). For all this, Doom 1 is better than Doom 2.

printz said:

Lots of computers and TEKWALLs (even though TEKWALLs look stupid because they look like oversized PCBs). For all this, Doom 1 is better than Doom 2.

for real, thats a true story

40oz said:

a bowl of pink spaghetti on the side, please.

oh, totally. some amorphous fleshy structures vomited through the walls in secret areas for the "hell is leaking in" effect.

Tech bases are handy for giving the map a sense of purpose rather than simply kill all or escape. Try setting actual objectives and have the map play out like a story. Also give the map or even areas within the map a function. Hyper realism will usually fall flat but some pseudo realism will add to the atmosphere.

With a side of crushing ceilings, or as I call them, crybaby detectors.

I like my Tech-base old school if you know what i mean,
i like it to look like the way john Romero would have designed it, very abstract.