Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mormegil

Paul Jaquays leaves id.

http://finger.planetquake.com/plan.asp?userid=paulj&id=15908

I know it's not really Doom 3-related, but him leaving does affect the game. That makes me wonder how much of the level design has been done.

Whoops, sorry, I don't know how to make that a clickable link. But don't get flustered if you're too lazy to C&P that into the url box.

the Guy did a good job and I hope he some get new experiences.
And about doom 3:

"P.S. … and don’t worry about Doom, the guys who have been doing all the really cool stuff for the game are still busting their chops hard as ever on it."

Wow. At least he still hasn't lost his enthusiasm for gaming in general. Age of Empires with pink demons and all that-- that's going to be cool ( ;) ). It must be really stressful to work at id-- sort of like a cross between the floor the stock exchange, the post-office, and the complaint section at Microsoft. Well, I hope he had a good time, anyway...

Interestingly, on quakefinger, there is a plan just below that, mourning the loss of the "good old days", when level design used to be simpler... One has to wonder what kind of sacrifies proffessional level designers these days have to make to bring us the "next level" of visual quality in high quantity.

One has to wonder what kind of sacrifies proffessional level designers these days have to make to bring us the "next level" of visual quality in high quantity.

Paul Steed used to work 72-hour workdays near the end of Quake 3. Maybe he should have spent less time making Crack whore models at the beginning of the project.

I may be one of the few people actively involved in the computer gaming industry who has absolutely no nostalgia for the original Doom. Sounds shocking, yes? But I didn't have access to a computer that played it during its heyday. I've gotten my FPS enjoyment from later games like Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Team Arena and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. So, on that day in June in 2000 when John Carmack suddenly decided to switch id's development focus away from our next scheduled project and turn it towards a new version of Doom, I can't say I was very happy about it. Before that event, I was excited about the project we were supposed to do next, and was looking forward to working along with Graeme Devine on it as a game designer. The sudden decision to drop our next project and make another version of Doom was a real emotional slam to me. I'm not sure I ever really got over that

I feel sorry for him. Haven't had the enjoyment of Doom when it was "young"? Jeez, he missed out on a lot of great things!
Well, I guess that in that case it's a good thing that he decided to leave - one guy whose heart isn't into bringing us a new Doom game could actually do some damage to the project.

Paul Steed used to work 72-hour workdays near the end of Quake 3.

72-hour workdays?!! Perhaps there's somehing signifigant behind the re-emerging theme of dimentional anomolies in all their games... ;)

Paul Steed used to work 72-hour workdays near the end of Quake 3.

72-hour workdays?!! Perhaps there's somehing signifigant behind the re-emerging theme of dimentional anomolies in all their games... ;)

one guy whose heart isn't into bringing us a new Doom game could actually do some damage to the project.

Not precisely, a person who has no devotion for Doom but a true lover of FPSs could be the perfect employee if you're trying to pursuit something new and refreshing with the franchise.

Not precisely, a person who has no devotion for Doom but a true lover of FPSs could be the perfect employee if you're trying to pursuit something new and refreshing with the franchise.

Time for an english lesson, Zaldron!

I think you meant PURSUE

I am going to PURSUE a new career
I am in PURSUIT of that hot chick

Well, remeber that one, put it in the memory banks and shit, whatever the hell you do with it ;)

Well, remeber that one, put it in the memory banks and shit, whatever the hell you do with it ;)

Time for an english lesson, BBG!

I think you meant REMEMBER

I am going to REMEMBER a new thing
My name is REMEBER
(?)

Well, remember that one, put it in the memory banks and shit, whatever the hell you do with it ;)

oh ,quite a shocking news.

So, on that day in June in 2000 when John Carmack suddenly decided to switch id's development focus away from our next scheduled project and turn it towards a new version of Doom, I can't say I was very happy about it. Before that event, I was excited about the project we were supposed to do next, and was looking forward to working along with Graeme Devine on it as a game designer. The sudden decision to drop our next project and make another version of Doom was a real emotional slam to me. I'm not sure I ever really got over that

i understand his feeling.he is much more RPG fan than FPS fan.(Quest sounded like an D&D game).wish him good luck for his new project.

one guy whose heart isn't into bringing us a new Doom game could actually do some damage to the project.

Perhaps, but PJ isn't really a true lover of FPSs - at least that wasn't the impression I got from this interview.

Originally posted by Fredrik
Time for an english lesson, BBG!

I think you meant REMEMBER

I am going to REMEMBER a new thing
My name is REMEBER
(?)

Well, remember that one, put it in the memory banks and shit, whatever the hell you do with it ;)

damnit. Too bad you spellchecked it.

Perhaps, but PJ isn't really a true lover of FPSs - at least that wasn't the impression I got from this interview.

We're talking about the guy who stopped working for AD&D expansions as soon as he saw Quake.

Thats exactly it. Paul Jaquays liked quake, not doom, he said himself in that interview..

I am not exactly nostalgic about the original doom

I will admit that may not be exactly what he said, but this is confirmed with:

I have lost interest in making FPS'es,

Again not word for word, but I think that this means he want's out of the shooter business, which might also explain his move to ensemble. Who have been making age of mythology atm. Just my opinion tho.