Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

Doom 4 release date what do you think?

So, what do you think, when will Doom 4 meet our computers?

???

I think 2014! I just guessed.

2014 sounds reasonable. Too bad I'm not the kind who likes to bet.

What is the average duration between the releases of two consecutive important games by a company? We could get an estimated Doom 4 release year this way.

EDIT: Doom 3 was released in 2004, and Rage in 2011. I think that other Id games did pop up in this period: Doom 3 Expansion, Enemy Territory Quake Wars. It would have a nice ring if Doom 4 came 10 years after Doom 3 which came 10 years after Doom 2. I wonder if 3 years after Rage is enough.

For Rage, they had to build the engine, and id was a smaller studio. Now that they're not an independent company anymore, they have more employees and resources, and can finish games faster.

I'm guessing Doom 4 will be released in either 2013 or 2014.

Am I missing something here? Development on Rage started in 2007 and the game released in 2011. 4 years. It has been stated that Doom 4 will not take as long as Rage. Doom 4 was started in '08. I don't see how it doesn't come out next year.

Maybe my math isn't working.

Face23785 said:

Am I missing something here? Development on Rage started in 2007 and the game released in 2011. 4 years. It has been stated that Doom 4 will not take as long as Rage. Doom 4 was started in '08. I don't see how it doesn't come out next year.

Maybe my math isn't working.

Well it's true that they have the engine now, and have a bigger staff as Gordon said, but I still think next year is too soon. For one, they need to tweak the engine. Secondly, some staff will be occupied with Rage stuff(DLC, patches, etc.) And third, I feel like id is gonna need more time to ensure that a game bearing the name DOOM is as good as it can possibly be. I'd bet 2013 or 2014.

Vordakk said:

Well it's true that they have the engine now, and have a bigger staff as Gordon said, but I still think next year is too soon. For one, they need to tweak the engine. Secondly, some staff will be occupied with Rage stuff(DLC, patches, etc.) And third, I feel like id is gonna need more time to ensure that a game bearing the name DOOM is as good as it can possibly be. I'd bet 2013 or 2014.

Four, I'm sure all that was taken into account when the comment was made that it wouldn't take as long to complete as Rage.

Face23785 said:

Four, I'm sure all that was taken into account when the comment was made that it wouldn't take as long to complete as Rage.

2013 or 2014, if not, later.

It is true that it uses the same engine, and has been worked on for quite some time now along with rage (unless GI and other sources are wrong)

However, 2012 sounds like a BS release date for DOOM4, and seems highly unlikely.

late 2012.

Doom 4 team already had like 100 people in 2010, and probably added more this year and after Rage is done. 3+ years of development seems resonable to me. I guess they'll reveal the game end of this year after Skyrim is done.

Of course, Rage took 6 years, but full production of the game started around mid-2007 and then id Software had less than 40 people at the time. The Rage team expanded up to 60 people in 2010, then 80 people in 2011, but it's still smaller than Doom 4 team of 2010.

Late 2012 early 2013 is my guess. They've been working onm this longer than people think, and there have been a couple of comments stating Doom4 development won't take as long as Rage did.

Pretty pointless to speculate though.

mtm5925 said:

Of course, Rage took 6 years, but full production of the game started around mid-2007

I'm not calling you a liar, but where did you hear that? All I can find about Rage is that production started in 2007. As far as I know, all that went on before that were some 'hey ya know what would be a cool game idea' conversations.

I think people are assuming the game has years to go because we haven't been shown anything yet. I'm betting there's plenty to show, they're just playing it close to the vest.

Face23785 said:

I'm not calling you a liar, but where did you hear that? All I can find about Rage is that production started in 2007. As far as I know, all that went on before that were some 'hey ya know what would be a cool game idea' conversations.

I think people are assuming the game has years to go because we haven't been shown anything yet. I'm betting there's plenty to show, they're just playing it close to the vest.

Pre-production of Rage begun in 2005, after they scrapped 'Darkness' project, about a year and two months after D3. Here's Sparth's concept art from 2005.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133406

Technology wasn't ready back then, so only a dozen or so worked on the pre-production until 2007. (and rest were on Q4, ETQW) They started actual production in mid-2007 and few months later they showed it on WWDC. (where id Tech 5 debuted) Third party projects were also done around that time, so entire id team worked on Rage project since then.

This is what Tim Willits said, but unfortunately I can't give specific source, cause it was video interview from early this year where Tim says like "people say Rage is taking so long, but actual development time was 3.5 years so far."

Gotcha. Well based on all that I'm still thinkin late next year, early 2013. I'd settle for sometime in 2013 to make sure the game is finished and polished.