Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Face23785

secret in TNT18 I can't figure out

In the start room there's a small alcove you can enter near one of the doors, you get a shotgun upon entering, and there's 2 boxes of shells plus a backpack in there. When you enter, you can hear a door open sound. I can trace the sound over near the lift that leads to the yellow door, but I can't figure out exactly where it is. If it's up the lift I'm not fast enough. What's the deal?

Edit: Upon further investigation, it lowers a platform outside the map that appears to contain a voodoo doll. I'm not sure why though. Does it have something to do with you picking up the shotgun that you can't see?

Face23785 said:

Edit: Upon further investigation, it lowers a platform outside the map that appears to contain a voodoo doll. I'm not sure why though. Does it have something to do with you picking up the shotgun that you can't see?

Precisely. The voodoo doll lowers picks up the shotgun (and supershotgun in MP).

I always found it odd that both TNT iwads use this trick (Plut MAP06 does it -- walk under the floaty cube) despite being made by totally different people. Then I figured out that one of the Casalis made Mill... :)

So is there a point to the trick other than having the player go, "Whoa cool, invisible shotgun!" when he walks in the alcove? Just wondering since I don't play MP.

Face23785 said:

Damn that's clever. I've been playing Doom for 15 years and never noticed that.

This. Totally this.

Damn, I had absolutely no idea about this trick. Which is especially odd 'coz I made a sequel to Mill for TNT2. (to which I gave the groundbreakingly creative name of "Mill II.")