Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hansen

New KDitD style level...

When High/Low 5 (not finished yet) got too much for me, I kind of took a breather away from it by making a small/medium sized KDitD level for Doom. And here it is. Have a look at it if you want to and if you feel like reporting back some bugs or any other feedback I would appreciate it. But you do not have to :)

I have not yet uploaded the level to the archives.

It runs on Doom E1M1 and I tested it with zDoom and prboom, and there did not seem to be any bugs as far as I could see.

I don't know what else to write about it... been a while since I released a level :)

Download link --> http://www.windward.dk/fronsett.zip

Updated version with fixes --> http://www.windward.dk/fronsett_ver2.zip

Enjoy!

A really fun, cohesive map!

My only complaints would be the shotgunners instantly rising out of the floor, and the jumpable gap after grabbing the yellow key has an impassible flag (not that it leads anywhere you can't get before, it just breaks up the flow imo).

Really tight design, lots of imagination, looks great!

Well it might be small, but it took me 16 minutes to complete it, mostly running around not being able to figure out what to do next. But I'm easily confused by mappers :) It's in the hi/low 2 style, it is very nicely designed, my only complaint is that "get that berserk pack and fight a few pinkies" rather lame motif I must say, after finding it hundreds of times in other WADs. I got 66% secrets, found a switch which would probably lead to the last secret, but I didn't get what door that switch opened.

First demo attempt, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.1, -complevel 9 (wasn't sure if Boom features were used), skill 4. Time 16:23, slow and boring demo.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bfq6ftibm7dvryl

It is great to see a new map from you, Chris!

I have two complaints:
1. The lift leading to the blue key (linedef 774) is too hard to notice.
2. Linedef 1852 has a zero tag. This leads to weird things in vanilla compatibility mode (prboom with -complevel 3).

The rest was very enjoyable. :)
Here is my first demo attempt - http://www.mediafire.com/?br4nuddn7n4y4o9

Thanks guys! I'm glad you liked it. And thumbs up for the demos, I'll check them out.

iori said:

My only complaints would be the shotgunners instantly rising out of the floor, and the jumpable gap after grabbing the yellow key has an impassible flag (not that it leads anywhere you can't get before, it just breaks up the flow imo).

Funny you should mention those two areas: I actually tried different ideas there and I am actually not 100% satisfied with them either... I'll have a look at it again.

vdgg said:

... my only complaint is that "get that berserk pack and fight a few pinkies" rather lame motif I must say, after finding it hundreds of times in other WADs.

Yeah, you're probably right... but then again, it's Doom and I think stuff like this is a trademark of the game so to speak. And I'm pretty damn stuck in old-school designing ideas :)

Memfis said:

I have two complaints:
1. The lift leading to the blue key (linedef 774) is too hard to notice.
2. Linedef 1852 has a zero tag. This leads to weird things in vanilla compatibility mode (prboom with -complevel 3).

I'll definitely have a look that. Thanks!

Cool map, though I'd rather call it "new Chris Hansen style level with KDitD textures" :)

A couple of the switches really eluded me for a while, like the one you have to run across a gap for, to lower the gray bars in front of a lift nearby, and I managed to totally fail to notice the brown1 switch in the back corner of a small room, that gets used to raise the path to the blue key.

Also, playing it in Eternity, the switch at the METAL1 room around (-274,99) raised some floors but for some reason didn't raise the one around (-1164,-56). It changed the flat but it still damaged like nukage and didn't raise. After doing some exploring to see if I had missed anything, I assumed it was a bug and idclipped across.

Good, fun little E1-ish level.

I have to echo the complaint that the blue key lift is hidden in a corner (I didn't really have to look for it too much), other than that I wasn't very confused. Managed to get 100% kills and secrets in 9:54.

I didn't encounter the bug Essel was talking about, but I played in GZDoom.

P.S. getting to the chaingun secret after hitting the button to open it was mildly annoying (the door closed on me like three times, stupid lift wait time)

Updated first post with a new version that fixes some of the issues you guys mentioned. This will be the version I upload to the archives if there are no further commments :) Thanks for all the help!

Neat little episode 1 level, Nicely done. I didn't read the first post properly, and as a result I played V1 rather than V2.

I would have echoed iori's points precisely, but seeing as I didn't play the latest version, I shouldn't say too much.

The design was really interesting, overlapping areas,lots ov views into unexplored areas, good texturing, good consistent combat throughout the whole level.

The only thing I might suggest is to say that the entire level is very square. Everything felt like 90 degrees, whereas in most episode 1 maps the angles between linedefs were often far more random, which tended to make the layouts feel more alien and more oppressive than they seemed.

But this is a minor thing. I liked this map. Nice work.