Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MajorRawne

Legalities of using midis/mp3s in WADs

Hi everyone, I'm slightly confused about what music we are and aren't allowed to use in WADs. I've just been playing the superb Unloved, and notice that it uses plenty of mp3s that are copyrighted. I thought this wasn't allowed to be uploaded. Sorry for this total noobish question, but how do I actually know what I can and can't use?

In an ideal world, wad authors and uploaders always obtain permission for the content they submit to the archive. In the real world, that often doesn't happen and it's unreasonable to expect Ty to police other people's copyrights - so what I think happens in practice (provided the wad doesn't include toxic content from Disney and the like) is Ty assumes the submitter has obtained the necessary permissions but removes the wad if a copyright holder complains.

tl;dr version - obtain permission if you can and if you haven't, don't act surprised when your wad disappears.

Regarding MP3s, see this post at ZDoom. Specifically this:

(Randy said)

(Technically, you also need to be paying a MP3 fee, too, if you distribute wads with MP3s.)

MP3 is patented. I'm just quoting that part of a post so you can watch out. OGG on the other hand doesn't have patents.

It's best not to out of bandwidth's sake, unless the song is 1) part of the WAD/megawad and 2) A separate download.

Mr. Chris said:

It's best not to out of bandwidth's sake, unless the song is 1) part of the WAD/megawad and 2) A separate download.

Bandwidth became a non issue at least 7 years ago.

It will always be an issue. I get slow load times on images in /newstuff reviews, even though I'm on cable modem. Once bandwidth increases by orders of magnitude, so will wastage. There's some kind of universal law at play, I'm sure. ;)