Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Correctly displaying "bridges" in Doomsday 1.8.6 - JDoom?

Hi,
I am using JDoom Doomsday 1.8.6 since many years and I'd like to stick with it if possible. (I think this is the last version from the original author)
I use it almost exclusively to play classic stuff like HR, MM AV etc...

There always have been problems with a few wads - especially the "fake bridges" were not rendered correctly - it was a huge mess.

I am still on glBSP from 3rd december 2003 - I think it's 2.05
EDIT: I just tested glBSP 2.24 and recompiled... but bridges still don't display ok. for example HR2m01 the one right behind you on the left at levelstart.

Were there some mayor changes in the meantime? Is there a way to prepare the wads so they render correctly in the JDoom version I am using - especially the bridges?

Doomsday 1.8.6 doesn't support the amount of rendering hacks modern ports do. Though it supports a fair few.

Most rendering hacks the original DOS engine could be co-cered into require specially written code to support in OpenGL source ports (among other things these source ports have different renderers to the original game). There are also many variants of some rendering hacks; a port may support some of the variants, but not all of them.

In the current Doomsday 1.9 betas, support for all rendering hacks was removed in order to rewrite said code.

Vermil said:

In the current Doomsday 1.9 betas, support for all rendering hacks was removed in order to rewrite said code.

I guess that's the reason why I still use 1.8.6
I remeber testing one of the betas many years ago, but it seemed like it was completely broken.... now I know why.
Sad to hear it's STILL beta...
I actually never checked again myself - since I was quite happy with the version I had. EXCEPT for the "Bridge" problem.

So you're basically saying that there is no way to "fix" it right now in 1.8.6 or prepare the wads in a way so the render correctly, right?
I was hoping there might be a hack of some sort out there.

You can try Risen3D in the mean time I guess. It's nearly the same engine so you should find all the stuff you're accustomed to from jDoom, with some extra features as well.

Correct, there is no way short of coding for the engine, to add support for new rendering hacks.

Indeed, Doomsday 2.0 is taking a very very...etc long time. But I'm sure it will be worth it.

ok thanks... that clears it up ; )

about risen3d... I might give it a try later on.
actually I am not looking for too many fancy features.

i do not use any 3d models. i play none of the wads with "new features" and I don't need support for slopes etc.

basically i play only plain old doom and the classic megawads with hires textures and mp3 music.
what I mainly liked about jdoom were how dynamic lighting was implemented, that I easiliy could tweak the flares to my likes (almost unnoticable) and most of all the monstershadows.

Since you like DD 1.8.6 you won't be disappointed with Risen3D, since it is a fork from DoomsDay/JDoom. Nearly all the eye candy of DD/JDoom without the bugs ...

Play it the same way you would jDoom.

Link ...

http://risen3d.drdteam.org/

In your case, just download the engine.

Holy Crap! I just tested it and it looks and feels awesome. And the Bugs are gone.

Had only five minutes time to play though, so I didn't have the chance for a real in depth gametest... but I guess this is exactly what I wanted and I could apply the look that I was going for with just a few settings changes.

I have no Idea how I could have missed out on it so long although I heard and read the name a thousand times already.

thanks again everyone!